Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pfffffffffft

photoshop, digital, and film photography>>>

love the feeling of film AND digital photography..

NOTE:

i dont want this turned into a film VS. digi thread

im just curious about how people feel about altering photos to achive the effect of film.

my opinion:

i think that taking a digi picture and adjusting the brightness and a minimal amount of contrast and a little cropping is as far as i like to take it before its not considered the original thing. its getting more and more often i see photos that are obviously enhanced in photoshop passed off as photography. this bothers me because if you have good photoshop skills you can take a mediocre photo and make it look like a gem.

personally i think its cheating.

where do YOU draw the line?

discuss

i think that with digital you still need to have the skills to create an interesting composition. and those over-photoshoped images are pretty lame. but i think using photoshop works best when you make it look like you didnt use it. and dodging and burning techniques are used in film so its nothing new when youre able to do it in photoshop.

thats just what i think.

the points been made.

photoshop is just a tool used for enhancing pictures...and its not limited to digital.

i know people that use it on film as well...(then re print)

its ignorant to think photoshop isnt a useful tool in the least.

just about every professional photographer alters the end product before its sold.

and programs like PS help acheive better results.

as far as the fake looking photo's go or overly post processed....to each their own.

only the one keeping the image's opinon matters.

I've always thought that the editing of a picture is an important part of photography. It's just that before digital files, everything took longer in the darkroom. And please; a mediocre picture is still a mediocre picture. Cropping aside, Photoshop isn't a miracle for every shitty snapshot. And yes, overprocessed pictures suck. Just look at Nick Knight.

I'm just kidding, Nick Knight is an awesome photographer. I just don't like some of his colour work- It just seems a bit tacky sometimes- and he shoots film.

photoshop, just like a camera, is a tool....... theres good and bad ways to use it, but ultimately, as with any tool, its the user that creates the final product.... and its the user who is to blame for shit work...... someone builds a shitty house you dont blame it on the fact they used a nail gun instead of a hammer.......

i think more digital photography is turning into digital art. i would just like the line to be drawn. all these really good photoshoppers are making insane compositions with their photography and just calling it photography. you may be fooling the minions, but the rest of us know.

its digital art not photography!

photoshop, just like a camera, is a tool....... theres good and bad ways to use it, but ultimately, as with any tool, its the user that creates the final product.... and its the user who is to blame for shit work...... someone builds a shitty house you dont blame it on the fact they used a nail gun instead of a hammer.......

what he said, but slightly more elegantly phrased.

i think digital and film both have their strong points, and it is up to the photographer to pick how they're going to edit the pictures they take...

me personally when i take my pictures i try to capture the best available composition that i want...and in the darkroom i don't burn/dudge much, nor do i crop my pics....i think in a modern time to totally dismiss digital photography is stupid, it makes things so much easier, which is why you have a whole bunch of people who cop a digi cam and then think they're photographers just because they have a high tech gadget

that photo up there sucks. its not stunning, its stupid. 'digital art' that looks computer made, looks cheesy and cheap and plastic and shitty.

photoshop/souless people are destroying the art of photography.

you give me any photo thats in focus and exposed properly, and i'll make it look dope, no matter how crappy. sure its just a tool, but its a tool that allows anyone to think they're special. its like the influx of shitty music that resulted from mp3's. everyone has a band and a cd, and wants you to listen to it. no thanks. before digital you had to really want shit, and learn and try. now you just have to show up. its weak.

that isnt to say that using photoshop at all is bad, in simple form its the same as editing in the dark room, its when heavy cropping stamping comes into play that it starts to change.

in the end, you cant stop progress, but you are welcome to hate it.

i think more digital photography is turning into digital art. i would just like the line to be drawn. all these really good photoshoppers are making insane compositions with their photography and just calling it photography. you may be fooling the minions, but the rest of us know.

its digital art not photography

exactly. photography needs to get back to showing truth and reality. when you change a photo so much with post process that it no longer tells the story you saw (or created in the studio), its bullshit. at the very least you shouldnt try to pass it off as a photograph.

now that i think about it though...what about people like jerry uelsmann? he did AMAZING film collage shit in the darkroom that rivals some of the best photoshop creations that ive seen.

if you havent heard of him. check it out. he has some great work that really pertains to this topic.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now