**Homeland Security tightens rail security**

topwizard

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those proposals are gonna take years to pass and become regulation....my guess is everyone has some time to hit the yards still....

wait till the predator drones start flying the tracks though...better start packin' that rocket launcher..haha

yo the worst part is UAV's have passed testing by the FAA. My bro is an engineer he was telling me about it. Terminator? more like bush administration.

who ever authored this bill has some good friends in the floodlight/chainlinkfence/survelance/video camera/motion detector industry.

I smell bullshit.

Big ups cheese. Way to read through the bullshit. The more wire they wrap this country up in the harder its gonna be for those fuckers to get untangled when they just tried to chase us over barb fences.

Man I love America (even though I don't agree with ALOT of things we have done in our past) and you better believe if I ever saw some sketchy shit by the tracks like a backpack just sitting there I'm snitching with the quickness.

Well then the department of homeland lack of security and civil destruction of privacy just won. Are you trying to tell me that u believe anyone in the American government? that they arent just trying to protect anything but their own bank accounts? You've got to be fuckin kidding me did i reallu just read a supposed graffiti writer say he'd give a fuckin shit about helping the people who want to bag us the mos?. Get a fuckin grip gogo.

Well then the department of homeland lack of security and civil destruction of privacy just won. Are you trying to tell me that u believe anyone in the American government? that they arent just trying to protect anything but their own bank accounts? You've got to be fuckin kidding me did i reallu just read a supposed graffiti writer say he'd give a fuckin shit about helping the people who want to bag us the mos?. Get a fuckin grip gogo.

To be perfectly honest if I came upon some towelhead motherfucker fucking with my American trains in some terrorist manner I'd call their ass in too, and maybe fuck them up. I mean shit, you're not Rambo are you? What else are you going to do? Of course the face of terrorism in America will not be some dude with a turban on, that's just too obvious, but you get the point. You shouldn't knock him anyway, everyone has an opinion, sharing ideas is good, and if gogo iss a writer I'm sure he's put in more than one year of tagging a small city like Hartford, you know? :cool:

A Turnpike fence to hide tanker cars from terrorist eyes

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

BY TOM FEENEY

Star-Ledger Staff

The state will guard against a potential terrorist attack on chemical-filled freight trains by building a 10-foot-high fence and installing sensors and closed-circuit monitors along a 2.6-mile stretch of the New Jersey Turnpike between Linden and Newark.

The 90-ton tanker cars that are often stopped on the rails just off the northbound side of the Turnpike represent a terror threat that homeland security officials have worried about since bombings in recent years against commuter rails in Spain, England and India.

The cars -- often in plain view of passing motorists -- are used to carry chlorine, ammonia and other toxic substances that could wreak havoc over a large area if the tankers were ruptured in an attack.

An estimated $6 million will be spent by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to erect the so-called privacy fence to shield the tankers from public view. The authority's board voted yesterday to let executive director Michael Lapolla award the contract once bids are opened next month.

The state Department of Transportation will turn the barrier into a "smart fence" by designing and installing a system of closed-circuit monitors and motion sensors to be used with the privacy screen. That work will begin when construction on the privacy screen is further along, DOT spokeswoman Erin Phalon said.

"You can't shoot what you can't see," Richard Cañas, director of the state Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness, said yesterday in describing the security benefit of the privacy screen. "The objective is to get the cars out of sight and, hopefully, out of mind."

The Turnpike Authority will pay for the fence. Cañas said his office has set aside $600,000 to pay for the technology that will be used with it, though he expects it will cost less.

The fence will be installed in three sections. A 1-mile stretch will be erected near the Bayway Refinery in Linden. Stretches of 1.1 miles and a half-mile will be erected near Port Newark/Elizabeth, across the Turnpike from Newark Liberty International Airport.

The fence is being built on an accelerated schedule, Lapolla said. That's why the board voted yesterday to let him award a contract after bids are opened Jan. 4 rather than waiting for the next board meeting Jan. 31.

Officials expect it to be in place by the spring.

Gov. Jon Corzine, whose concern about the safety of New Jersey's chemical facilities dates to when he served in the U.S. Senate, directed the Office of Homeland Security and Preparedness to come up with a rail security strategy to protect both commuter and freight operations, Cañas said.

"Transit is our Achilles' heel," Cañas said. "That's what keeps me up at night."

The sections of rail just off the heavily traveled section of Turnpike known as "chemical alley" were quickly identified as areas where security needed to be beefed up, Cañas said.

Conrail and other freight operators have told state homeland security officials that tankers are not left near the Turnpike when they are filled with dangerous chemicals. Nonetheless, Cañas said, the public perception of a vulnerability was enough to justify the security measures.

"Everybody who drives up and down the Turnpike says, 'What the heck is going on with those tankers so close to the highway?'" he said.

AHAHHAHHAHHAHA, A fucking chain link fence is gonna stop an RPG? Who the fuck is in charge these days?

To be perfectly honest if I came upon some towelhead motherfucker fucking with my American trains in some terrorist manner I'd call their ass in too, and maybe fuck them up. I mean shit, you're not Rambo are you? What else are you going to do? Of course the face of terrorism in America will not be some dude with a turban on, that's just too obvious, but you get the point. You shouldn't knock him anyway, everyone has an opinion, sharing ideas is good, and if gogo iss a writer I'm sure he's put in more than one year of tagging a small city like Hartford, you know? :cool:

One year of writing eh, thats a laugh. Have you ever even been to Hartford? bro you'd get fuckin clapped in 2 seconds but, thats not even the point. Its kids like you thinking that terrorism means some dude wearing a turban fuckin with your "American" trains. You sound like a flag waver to me. i bet you think osama bin laden commandeered 9/11 too huh, and oh yeah im sure you love the lack of privacy in America these days, "whatever is good for the country right." Try to read a little bit maybe you'll learn something about your beloved country that is controlled by multi billionaire hate mongers.

One year of writing eh, thats a laugh. Have you ever even been to Hartford? bro you'd get fuckin clapped in 2 seconds but, thats not even the point. Its kids like you thinking that terrorism means some dude wearing a turban fuckin with your "American" trains. You sound like a flag waver to me. i bet you think osama bin laden commandeered 9/11 too huh, and oh yeah im sure you love the lack of privacy in America these days, "whatever is good for the country right." Try to read a little bit maybe you'll learn something about your beloved country that is controlled by multi billionaire hate mongers.

go fuckin hate america somewhere else you a fuckin clown

usama bin laden did 911 you fuckin idiot class warfare liberal blame america type :scrambled: you need to pull your head out of your ass

i bet the constitution is your real enemy or republicans not the motherfuckers

trying to blow up shit huh

we caused everthing huh your pathatic and brainwashed

Yeah, cause Hartford is Tough City, right? I've never been 'clapped' in Hartford or any of the far worse cities I've been to. Does anyone even still say 'clapped'? You've been around about 1 year, all you have are marker tags, stickers, and throws.

Maybe you are the one who needs to read more, I was pretty clear that I didn't expect to actually see some Arab on the trains unless he happens to be TC5. Maybe your Irish temper has interfered with your reading comprehension?

I won't entertain this further, IMO this thread could be an important topic for those who actually paint trains and need to keep their ass safe.

Another increment added to the pile. (See my thread, critical mass: death of the freight scene in Trainspotting from 6 or 7 years ago.)

It's funny, I walked that stretch of Elizabeth/Linden track in '95, daytime, checked out all the tanks, crossed a "private road" which was actually Bayway Refinery property. I could have walked right in there. Near the end of my 45 minute walk, as I was nearing my car, a van rolled up way in the distance and seemed to be scoping me out, but too little, too late. I guess that will be changing.

Doesn't sound to me like the new measures would slow down any terrorist with planning skills. A couple more writers might get wrapped up. It looks like a mix of what a few people have said: half-assed shit by politicians who want to look like they're doing something. If they get legislation with teeth passed (regarding security/rerouting of hazmats), chemical companies will get irritated and move operations overseas. But that doesn't seem likely, since the vast majority of chemical production is done by oil companies who crack petroleum and turn the by-products into thousands of specialty compounds. (Plastic comes from crude oil, how many of you didn't know that?) Oil companies, as we know, have ways of ensuring that unfavorable legislation is not introduced or passed.

im not concerned about it. canada won't be touch by pathetic american worries that don't really exist. if the terrorists want you, they're gonna get you... face it.

oh. and about the backpack thing.. your fucking braindead if you actually think you would CALL THE POLICE because you saw a fucking backpack sitting near a rail line. terrorism would be the last thing on your fucking mind if that happend. terrorism is real.. but all these big scare tactics these days...... THATS ALL THEY ARE. 9-11 sucked... yes.... but dude, live your fucking lives!

Yeah, cause Hartford is Tough City, right? I've never been 'clapped' in Hartford or any of the far worse cities I've been to. Does anyone even still say 'clapped'? You've been around about 1 year, all you have are marker tags, stickers, and throws.

Maybe you are the one who needs to read more, I was pretty clear that I didn't expect to actually see some Arab on the trains unless he happens to be TC5. Maybe your Irish temper has interfered with your reading comprehension?

I won't entertain this further, IMO this thread could be an important topic for those who actually paint trains and need to keep their ass safe.

Haha, you're real tough via posts on a thread diskette. I wonder if you knew that Hartford hasnt left the top 5 for U.S. cities with the highest crime rate in the since 1981 but thats besides the point. I'm also sure that you'll be real fuckin silent when you see one of my cars roll past you while you sit there wondering how kids that actually get up do it. Instead of just sitting there watching fox news eating up every word that comes out of Bush's mouth. How come every time someone who isnt from America makes a valid point it always turns into a "shut up you're not American and you hate America" type phrase. Oh yeah and despite the fact that im wasting my time entertaining your fuckin toy brain patterns and even attempting to belittle your already worthless thought process i will leave you with this. You'll be real "safe" whenn you're sitting in jail wondering why you got bagged. You thought those cameras and fences were to protect America from terrorists? The bulls love catching graffiti artists, they'll shove oyur wal-mart paint so far up your ass that you be pukin up that silver that drips on every worthless piece you attempt to put on a train. That is is of course if you've ever even been to a yard or instead blew it up already. Done. the rest of oyu open your eyes and see through their lies, or of course you can disbelieve my, how do you say? Irish temper blogs.

Another increment added to the pile. (See my thread, critical mass: death of the freight scene in Trainspotting from 6 or 7 years ago.)

It's funny, I walked that stretch of Elizabeth/Linden track in '95, daytime, checked out all the tanks, crossed a "private road" which was actually Bayway Refinery property. I could have walked right in there. Near the end of my 45 minute walk, as I was nearing my car, a van rolled up way in the distance and seemed to be scoping me out, but too little, too late. I guess that will be changing.

Doesn't sound to me like the new measures would slow down any terrorist with planning skills. A couple more writers might get wrapped up. It looks like a mix of what a few people have said: half-assed shit by politicians who want to look like they're doing something. If they get legislation with teeth passed (regarding security/rerouting of hazmats), chemical companies will get irritated and move operations overseas. But that doesn't seem likely, since the vast majority of chemical production is done by oil companies who crack petroleum and turn the by-products into thousands of specialty compounds. (Plastic comes from crude oil, how many of you didn't know that?) Oil companies, as we know, have ways of ensuring that unfavorable legislation is not introduced or passed.

Good point. alot of people really dont realize the amount of lobbying power held by US oil companies. Shit i mean Haliburtons top 2 share holders are George W and the one and only gun toting Richard Cheney. Or how about the exxon oil tanker the USS Condoleza Rice? Just like you said about plastic cracked, most people think that oil isnt the reason for past staged terrorist events and American bombing raids of the fucking middle east. Not saying that there arent religious extremists, (not only Islamic but also abortion doctor murdering Christians too) its just that compared to the amount of intelligence held by the US government im sure its real easy for the legendary osama to have his cronies take over planes with 1" box cutters? get real. The bottom line is that yes a well planned terrorist attack concerning tanker trains is a plausible idea, but so were dirty bombs in the NYC subways and that ssure happened didnt it. Companies get richer building fences, graffiti artists and bums around train yards get bagged, and they sit there preteding theyre protecting the suburban NJ streets from teroists, deny it and you are a fucking ignorant shithead.

go fuckin hate america somewhere else you a fuckin clown

usama bin laden did 911 you fuckin idiot class warfare liberal blame america type :scrambled: you need to pull your head out of your ass

i bet the constitution is your real enemy or republicans not the motherfuckers

trying to blow up shit huh

we caused everthing huh your pathatic and brainwashed

This is so hillarious im not even going to waste my time. Man i can't wait till you are eating your words. Where you from alabama, missisippi? Haha yeah id be a liberal if i didnt believe in anarchy you staright up unintelligent misinformed soul. If you dont believe American republicans are your enemy then i dont even want to believe you exist. do you realize you contradicted yourself leftwing. The republicans who supposedly protect American interests and instead rape the constitution with every bill passed to read their citizens mail and watch their every move. Brainwashed huh, well i guess ill try to dumb it down for you. There are things called public information, i suggest you get studying.

Im sorrry to those like myself trying to find out more about this homeland security and their involvement in rail security. I do not enjoy being called a liberal hack and brainwashed. People like that kid need to be shot by firing squad even though he's not worthy of multiple bullets. I will not be replying to anymore hateful messages towards myself and i apoligize for getting off topic. perhaps we can now continue to focus on the problem at hand, new fences and cameras to protect chemical tankers making it difficult to get up for you jersey cats even though i odnt believe it will stop even kids cutting through the ard coming home from school. Word is bond.

I will not be replying to anymore hateful messages towards myself and i apoligize for getting off topic. perhaps we can now continue to focus on the problem at hand, new fences and cameras to p.

Oh man but the shit you are saying is on point. To many robots out there with human skin, programmed by everything they see and hear on state run TV.

I'm not saying that the plans for rail security are rational or realistic or costworthy or anything else including able to be accomplished. They're not, but neither is this stupid war and the government went ahead with it anyway. I'm saying it should be of concern to freight writers because they are turning their attention, and the public's, to the trains. It has the potential to increase the number and types of charges that you can be arrested for, it makes people more vigilant including law enforcement, it has added more cops (homeland security), and it diverts attention from other areas that are lacking.

On the other hand, there is a potential to use some of the substances in the tankers for bad but it would be much more rational to address that by tightening the control of the engines rather than the whole railroad.

this other kid makes me laugh, go get your fucking shinebox man :lol:

Snips + a joint, what's the problem?

many petroleum/natural gas products processing and storage facilities already have vibration detecting fences. that takes it to a whole new level of difficulty: cut a fence and five minutes later, the whole police department is there. there are also all kinds of electromagnetic, light and sound sensor devices that can be used. for example, these can take the form of wires buried in the ground that detect the change in an electro magnetic field caused by your body passing through it. not easy to defeat.

the fact is, the technology is there to secure any area that the government feels really needs to be protected.