san rancidsco fart institoot...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: san francisco art institute...

That's what my ex with the art degree is doing.

Not at McDonald's, though. (I should talk, I need a job.)

Seriously, going to school and getting an engineering degree makes almost ANYTHING possible.

Harvey, all the kids I was hanging out with then were amazing artists. They knew most of their basic theory going into the institute.

Here's the hustle. Art school teaches you art history, comparative analysis (critique), and it sort of shows you what to expect from the gallery enviroment. They do show you some theory, but it's not much compared to what most people would probably think.

If you know that going into it, and are prepared to learn something completely different than from what you expected, then you'll be fine. TWIST (and my ex for that matter) went in wanting to learn about art history, so that worked for them.

But for some kid who is starting out with little to no technique, the same amount of discipline, and a skewed idea of what art school is about, well, they'll take his money....but if he's not really there to learn, he'll be out of there after the first year.

Besides, it's far more romantic to take what's left of the loan money, buy a bunch of blow with it and tell everyone you dropped out because they "didn't understand what you were trying to say."

if you are interested in art, i say you get your 2 year degree at a good technical college or something similar, that way you can finish up a 4 year at an art school if that is what you wish. this will combine 2 great and very different education styles, the tech aspect, and then followed with the theory aspect of an art school. art school's don't waste their time teaching you the tools you need to know to create something, a lot of people don't understand that before they sign up.

just my .02

hahaha there's other jobs besides food service that you can get without going to art school... i just haven't found one yet.

All my friends who make decent money never went to college or dropped out when they did. I know a few people who went to University of Chicage, Pratt and other higher end schools and none of them are doing anything in their fields of study and most make no money at all...

Send me money and I'll teach you how to draw...

^Exactly what SpreadAIDS said.

This is seemingly totally off the subject, but I recently started rereading "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig. If you happen to see a copy of this laying around, it's well worth checking out. Among other things, it's about the percieved differences between art and technology.

I'll spoil this for some of you- they're not as huge as you may think.

ART SCHOOLS TEACH YOU TO DO ART, NOT TO TAKE THAT TRAINING AND DO GRAFF AND CLAIM "I DON'T WEAR TIGHT CHICK PANTS, I DON'T RIDE A FIX GEAR, I PUT MYSELF THRU ART SCHOOL". FIRST OFF, NO YOU DID'NT, MOMMY AND DADDY PAID FOR YOUR SHIT, AND NOW YOU RIDE REAL GRAFF WRITERS COAT TAILS. SOME GOOD ARTISTS AND WRITERS COME OUT OF ART SCHOOL, TWIST, IS AN EXAMPLE AS MENTIONED BEFORE. ART SCHOOL FAGS LIKE ATARI, WHO CLAIM TO BE HARDCORE AND IN TEH GAME FOR YEARS . YEARS MAYBE, HARDCORE; MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NO !!!!!!1. JUST BECAUSE YOU LEARNED TO DO A DROP SHADOW FROM MR. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH PROFESSOR IN CLASS. DOES NOT MAKE YOU A WRITER. GO TO SCHOOL AND BETTER YOURSELF. YOU CAN HAVE THAT MILLION DOLLAR JOB AFTER HIGH SCHOOL, THERE WILL BE ANOTHER 8-10 YEARS OF SCHOOL AND THEN WORK FOR BURGER KING FOR A YEAR, THEN MAYBE GET THAT JOB. YEAH THAT'S WHAT I SHOULD DO AS WELL. NOT!!!!1. LEARN TO WORK WITH YOUR HANDS, LEARN TO BUILD SOMETHING, DIG A FUCKIN DITCH, LEARN TO RUN COPPER PIPE, LEARN FRAMING. BOOK SMART OR STREET SMART, GIVE ME THE STREETS. OI-WORKING CLASS. FUCK ALL YOU HIPSTER, SLACKERS OF THE WANNA-BE 80'S GENERATION, ROCKIN YOUR $210.00 GLOW IN THE DARK FUCKIN PINK, GREEN, YELLOW AND BROWN REEBOKS, CHROME MESSENGER BAG (ALL RESPECT TO CHROME BAGS), TRACK SHOES, BAMBI TATTOOS, OR EMO "I'M SO SAD" PHRASES TATTOOED ON YOUR ARMS. YOU ARE ALL A WASTE OF A GOOD FLESH SUIT.

I really want to goto school to learn animation...

if you want to learn animation i suggest using your money to buy your own equipment, software, and books and just teach yourself. most schools have a waiting list for using the equipment , shit always breaks down, and everyone that i went to school with was a star wars nerd that couldnt draw to save their lives. while i was drawing they were having light saber battles. even then everything necessary for an animation job will have to be taught at the studio anyways. the only thing you need to make is a demo reel which can be made from home.

word. you seem to know what you're talking about. the arts and animation programs i looked at at the two AI schools i visited (boston and san fran) looked pretty good though. you have any recomendations on books/software??

well it depends on what kind of animation you want to get into. for 2d cel type animation

get a good computer, a wacom cintiq monitor, this is used to draw directly on the monitor since paper isnt being used anymore and its much quicker. then youll need a digital inking and x sheet program. i like retaspro! it has everything you need. plus if you bought your own stuff it would still be cheaper than going to school for 4 years. there are other cheapo programs out there that you could download for free but get the professional shit.

for 3d i'd suggest researching a company out first and find what they are looking for. some like maya some like softimage, some like lightwave... but all in all they pretty much just use their own java software anyways. to be safe, maya is for video games and 3d anime, softimage is for film effects and 3d anime. again the software isnt cheap but if you get the foundation package for 2grand that is still cheaper than what youd spend on a semester of school.

now if a BA is your goal then by all means get it but it doesnt make a difference. all companies hire according to festival hype, contacts and demo reels.

Talent helps, too.

Definitely look into what serum said. Anything that you learn on your own can always be applied in school later.

If I had gone to school five years ago to learn about computers, I would have gotten real bored, real fast. But, I think that I'd be actually motivated not by grades but by the actual coursework and knowledge. So, that's what I'm interested now....going and taking some BSD/Unix extension courses at Berkeley sounds pretty exciting.

To me, anyway.

art school is expensive because theyre all private schools.

in my classes we would have critiques, and 75% of the people had no talent, not even.. could possible have talent with some work...they completely sucked, were not artistic at all.. what a fucking waste of money

uh, well, you were going to a community college. people are doing general ed units, people have no experience at all, and theres people just taking classes for the fun of it. but of course there are always no talent shit heads that think theyre pros. and who cares who's in your class if the teachers good and you learn a lot. just find the good teachers.

I'd like to know if anyone has ever done anything with an art school degree, cause I sure haven't seen it.

i know/have met many people that have careers with a ba or mfa in art. all of the million dollar artists have gone to the top schools in the country. aka places like yale.

currently, i think the top 3 schools, according to newsweek, are yale, columbia and ucla. so, im sure schools like columbia cant be completely bad when it is a top school in the country. same goes for sfai and aic. sfai, in particular is for teaching students what it is going to be like to work as an artist, and all the opportunities are there if you take them. it is not just good for art history. ive never even met someone who did art history there. and it seems like twist got a little more from attending than that.

they do expect you to have the fundamentals down. although it does have a lot of romantic rich kids attending just for the fuck of it. like a dude i know was working in the business office, and kids would come in with credit cards their parents gave them and put 25k on it at a time like it aint no thang.

He (TWIST) probably did get more out of SFAI than a massive crater in his pocketbook, but...as I said, he's a unique case.

Most kids seem to think that art school is a means to an end. Pay the money, show up, get your degree. Congratulations, you are now an artist....not.

I agree about RISD being a great art school.

Giant is another good example of someone who had talent to begin with, but really developed a definitive style by going to school... although with him, it was for architecture, which led to that very structured, symmetrical style that he was rocking in the 90's.

Only schools in US are RISD Maybe Pratt & Cooper Union

just came back from RI, second biggest workload in the country next to MIT

doesnt mean its not infested with horrible "artists" and fake ass hipsters

fuck art tho... its all about design

• 3 weeks later...