san rancidsco fart institoot...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: san francisco art institute...

not the school of the art institute, but the illinois institute of art, which is part of the art institutes, not associated with saic.

ok cool because the 90% saic's freshmen transfer before graduating because shit so bad. but who knows if they cleaned up their act yet.

yeah i know. the people there are complete freaks. but if you have your head on your shoulders you can get a decent education. all my teachers were full timers at northwestern, university of chicago, depaul etc. but hell most of the schools suck in chicago so what can you do?

I went to the Academy of Art University in SF for a few years... I figured it was too much money to pay back, so i quit. I gathered enough knowledge to, more than likely, get me into a steady corporate job and make semi-decent money, doing something I probably would'nt have enjoyed... Instead I work a shitty 9-5, with its fair share of perks and hustles, all the while doing random freelance gigs.

My question to you is, why do you want to go back after a 5 year hiatus?

Ummmm, I'd have to go with, uhhh....don't waste your money.

It's something like twenty-five g's a year. Shit, I think you could go to Stanford for about that.

Also, I've heard some SFAI teachers do courses at CCSF. I'm a little out of touch on this so it would be good for you to get a catalog from each school and compare.

This has nothing to do with my views on art school....I personally think it's a waste of time and money, but if it's REALLY what you want to do...I'd go to Europe, at least they seem to understand the value of art there.

And, I'd audit my friend's classes...when we weren't goofing off and smoking pot. How much time? Gee, I forgot. A month, maybe? This was in 2003...I tried to enroll as a joke, and realized that unless I robbed a lot of banks, or my last name was Picasso or Matisse, that my chances of getting in were the punchline.

Didn't Twist go there? I think he's doing something with art these days.

Yes, but he's different. Don't ask me to qualify that, he just is....I think everybody knows what I mean...but it's kind of fun looking for old TWIST tags around the campus.

I just saw one the other day (not there, here in Oakland) that had to be from the early nineties. I'll try to post a pic of it.

art school is expensive...

i gradueated from school of the art institute of chicago...i thought it was a good school but way over priced... columbia college is even worse for like 5 thousand a year less you get the bootleg art education

emly carr in vancouver is cool i meet some people who go there they liked it

bassicly you have to be really into art if you want to go to a school like that...

the ai art institute chain of schools is ok, bassicly whatever school you go to its all in what you make it..so go to a cheap shity school and study and learn you ass off

I know what you mean, Shai... I was just kidding.

I think that a lot of people who like to make art, but suck at it, think that art school will make them good-- which is not true at all. But if someone does have actual talent, I think that they can benefit from the environment, and from studying important fundamentals that they might not thoroughly learn on their own-- things like making color wheels, experimenting with other mediums, studying art history, peer critiques, etc. It's just that the suckers make everyone who goes to art school look bad.

I couldnt agreemore with that Harvey..

in my classes we would have critiques, and 75% of the people had no talent, not even.. could possible have talent with some work...they completely sucked, were not artistic at all.. what a fucking waste of money

i think thats the case of all art schools. they let any hippy in that loves the idea of being an artist but just doesnt have what it takes. maybe a european school that only lets in the best of the best would be good but im sure they have their own set of problems as well. such as telling you what is art and what isnt. shit just get a ba in anything. i dont really think it makes a difference now a days.