Hello Seeking, I have a question for you, or anyone else who knows non-profits

I Luv Roo

Seeking, I noticed on your laptop thread you mentioned that your sister runs a non-profit. I am planning on starting a non-profit arts org. and I need advice- in English, not in that IRS crazy-talk. What were the very preliminary steps your sis took, and what did she do to go about getting funding, finding space, working with the city, etc.? I know it's not that easy - I am doing a TON of research and saving $$$ as well, but to be able to talk to (or email) someone would be precious!

Yours or anyone's kind advice is much appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

um, well to make things more difficult, her no-profit is in another country. haha. i'll talk with her and get the jist of it, hopefully later today, then get back to you. i know its alot of forms and shit like that, but its not super difficult, just time consuming. funding is a different story, thats where you gotta get creative. theres not really just like a big board of rich guys that you stand in front of and ask for donations. haha. im sure there is a non-profit in SF that deals with helping set up non-profits, you might wanna look into that. in the meantime, i'll talk to her an see what i can find out...

Thanks so much.

I've done a lot of research on lots of stuff, and there are organizations out there to help. The city of Oakland (where it will be) supposedly is trying hard to support the arts, that was one of Jerry Brown's campaign promises, that he hasn't fully come through on yet, so in order to get re-elected next year, he may be able to offer help - who knows, but it's worth a try.

Archived