Atheists: who is going to ruin your funeral?

En Sabah Nur

Yeah it's just tradition, though it may seem corny the way that the Catholic (or christian) church operates, the point is to reflect on this person's life. I'm not religious at all but I did find a great deal of sentiment in carrying my gradfather to the grave and watching him descend into the ground.

i concur with that, being a paulbearer for the funeral i mentioned previously was quite captivating, but i still disagree with the whole big thing, some prayers, a burial, that's it.

Youre an arsehole if you 're not an organ donor and you dont have some kind of religious or spiritual beliefs that conflict with it. I'm sure youd all change your tunes if your mother was dying of kidney failure and she had to wait 2 years for a transplant because there are too few altruistic people who will donate something they will not need or use in the slightest when theyre already dead.

for me take my organs bury me and have a small non-religious memorial presided over by those close to me not someone who i have never met. ( i might let my priest cousin play a part of reading some dope gospel quotes though)

They (rabbinic counsel) recently approved a kosher way to donate organs.

http://www.hods.org

But yo, "some dope gospel quotes" is going to be at least partially religious, bro.

eon, It looks like you have some growing up to do, my man.

so, you think Jesus and Jimi Hendrix are going to the same place huh?

on the real, bro, please stop talking with such authority. Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, whatever you study does not make you an authority on the hereafter. let's agree that only He is the authority on the hereafter.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would want only movie quotes read.

fuck it!

Everyone, Listen, you'll have to excuse ___. He had a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons.

"This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

then play Sussidio....

everyone would look at eachother perplexed.

you get the idea.

All the things I thought I wanted at my funeral would annoy my family.

My friends would probably shrug if the service was too religious for my taste.

So I guess I don't care much.

I'm down to donate organs, although frankly I don't think they're going to be in great shape much longer, if they still are. Lots of fume damage. They're welcome to hang my skeleton up to draw in art classes.

It boils down to this: I'm not going to be there, so what do I care?

It occurs to me that the things people are saying they'd like to have at their funeral (certain songs played, this or that remembrance of their life, friends and family partying) are good things to hook up BEFORE you die.

Have a pre-funeral at a random time in your life, invite those people, and play that music. Then you get to be there for it.

It occurs to me that the things people are saying they'd like to have at their funeral (certain songs played, this or that remembrance of their life, friends and family partying) are good things to hook up BEFORE you die.

Have a pre-funeral at a random time in your life, invite those people, and play that music. Then you get to be there for it.

that would be awesome, a pre funeral party.

i think i am going to try that and see how many people go.

No, you're ridiculous with your laughing smileys leading that poor man onto thinking he's actually funny. And the concept of needing to bring spray paint INTO heaven alludes to two things: that there's no spraypaint IN heaven already, and that heaven's a project in need of spraypaint. Either way you're lacking in imagination and I seriously doubt heaven's in dire need of your uninspired throwups. As little as I believe that once in heaven you immediately become the greatest writer that ever was, you can still kill yourself and prove my arrogant ass wrong. Either way if we're in heaven together I'll huck you all the paint you want since I'll be far too busy devirginizing the infinite allotment of fit angelical girlies skipping about. Oh wait I'm Buddhist.

• 2 weeks later...

explain yourself. im an atheist, and if people spoke of how im "with god" and other nonsense, i would certainly concider it ruined. my deepest convictions would have been put aside to comfort someone who cant deal with the reality of death. it comes down to respect. just as i would not rant about the unlikelyhood of a god existing at a religious persons funeral, i would expect others to respect me the same.

you're right, i wouldnt have any knowledge of my corpse being disrespected. in fact, regardless of my beliefs or lack thereof i would still remain ignorant of what happens to my body after i die, so the fact that im an atheist is completely irrelevent.

Some religous beleifes dictate that your soul is still related to your body while you pass though the afterlife. Therfore in my opinion it is still definatly relavant if your an aethiest or not.

I wonder if there should be a thread on death in general. I give it thought everyday.

Anywho, as far as funerals go. I think my dad has the right idea:

Just have a big fuckin party, get drunk, get laid, celebrate the life of he or she who has passed and move on. When my father dies, I have to do this. It is one of the few things I have promised to do for him when the time comes. That and to get his skull somehow. He thought that would be hilarious. I think its a bit macabre, but whatevs.

on the topic of death though:

I have been wondering why I have spent my whole life trying to understand the basic beginnings and fundamentals of existence and life at all, and I think its because of my curiosity about death. If death is the anti-thesis of everything that life is, to fully understand life is to fully understand death. However, in so much as I have been finding that the only way to understand life is to live and move more and more away from conceptual understandings, I think the same is true of death. Only through living can one become ok with the concept of dying. THus the daily contemplation I give it. To be ok with my life is to be ok with the idea that I may die today. I mean I'd rather not, but if it happened, nothing much I can do to change it, best be happy with what I have experienced thus far.

I am an athiest (for the use of a simple and encompassing term). I think to explicate my actual metaphysical beliefs would be to explain my entire thought process and language. and thats a bit much. However, I think I can surmize certain aspects enough to say this. I think that linguistics of religion can be corrolated through contingent statements of identity. Namely such statements like God=Reality, or Karma=That which happens in a balance of action, etc. Iono, this is just somethin I have been thinkin bout. perhaps thats more for the Nature of the heavens and earth thread.

And fuck everyone for not participating in the general philosophy thread...(i keed i keed)

• 2 weeks later...

When i die i dont care what happens to my body, when im dead im not gona need any of my body parts or anything so i dont care, cremate me, take my organs, throw me in front of a train, i dont care. If you wana visit me, do it in ur thoughts

UNDOING YOURSELF

by Christopher S. Hyatt Ph.D, UNDOING YOURSELF, New Falcon Publications

You must give up the thing most precious to you.

You must give up the thing which you love so dearly,

the thing that you hold on to

You must give it up-

You must give it up.

You must see that you are frightened,

that something is at STAKE all the time-

even in your dreams-something is at stake

ALL THE TIME.

Everything which shocks you,

disrupts you, disturbs you can be your friend.

Everything which allows you to sleep,

to be complacent

hinders you.

To become in Accordance with your

TRUE POTENTIAL

you must be in Discordance with yourself.

YOU ARE AT STAKE ALL THE TIME

AND YOU LOOK FOR FOOD WHICH FEEDS YOU.

Anything which delays your end feeds you.

You digest this diet overabundant with FAT.

You are greedy, insatiable,

and require constant FAT to keep you going.

You use more energy and power maintaining

THE ILLUSION

of your insatiable dream than Living.

You will even STRUT to death's window.

But to know the deathless one,

you, the strutter, must die.

You must go on a diet and

starve to DEATH.

You must stop finding yourself in misery,

in cranial pride

and historic stupidity.

You must stop strutting around like a

fattened COW.

You must stop bowing down to your mistakes.

You must stop your idol worshipping.

You must surrender your misery.

You must stop acting surprised when

something happens to you

for it is the same old thing.

You must stop reacting to things

as you always HAVE.

You must stop proving your story.

You must stop extending the past

into the present and future.

You must stop defending your stupidity,

YOUR SLEEP.

You must stop defending

YOUR MISERY.

YOU MUST WAKE UP.

Everyone and everything is food for you.

How people treat you (good/bad) is food for you.

You oppose/conform, all is food for you.

You agree/disagree, all is food for you.

You render opinions on this and that,

and spout authorities to back you up

-all is food for you.

You are surrounded by friends or alone-

all is food for you.

Something is ALWAYS at stake

SOMETHING IS ALWAYS ON THE LINE.

You strut around

proud of the misery

you have caused yourself.

You will do anything to preserve the misery.

You will fight,

you will sneer,

you will accuse,

you will blame,

you will steal,

you will hide

all to preserve fear!

There is always something at stake.

THAT SOMETHING IS YOU.

AFTER YOU HAVE IT ALL, THEN WHAT?

Why are you so hungry?

Do you know death?

Or do you just have snapshots of it?

You act like you are immune to it,

that it happens all around-

but not to you.

Not even death can move you

from your feeding frenzy.

What food is next?

Misery is food,

and you can find plenty of that.

You are never at a loss for that.

You never learn

because MISERY is food

You repeat the same mistake,

the same misery,

over and over.

Worst of all

you do it with pride.

With your sneer of superiority,

WITH A SENSE OF NEWNESS

with a sense of choice.

Yet, it is the same mistake.

You do not even dare find a NEW MISTAKE

A NEW MISERY

since that might wake you from your

feeding frenzy.

TECHNIQUE

When you speak to others notice your dead phrases, your patterned stylized responses. They are indications that you are sound asleep. You have something at stake each time you repeat these habitual phrases and comments.

Find your robot responses that you love so dearly. Monitor them, and then:

STOP

STOP

STOP

STOP

when I was in Mecca, there was a funeral after every congregational prayer (5 times a day) and if a few people die at the same time, then their funeral prayers will be combined. The thing that amazed me is that even if one of the king of saudi arabia's sons die and a goat herder dies at the same time their funeral prayers will be combined and both will be washed, wrapped, prayed over , honored and buried in the same exact way.

I was impressed by that,

I wonder if there should be a thread on death in general. I give it thought everyday.

Anywho, as far as funerals go. I think my dad has the right idea:

Just have a big fuckin party, get drunk, get laid, celebrate the life of he or she who has passed and move on. When my father dies, I have to do this. It is one of the few things I have promised to do for him when the time comes. That and to get his skull somehow. He thought that would be hilarious. I think its a bit macabre, but whatevs.

on the topic of death though:

I have been wondering why I have spent my whole life trying to understand the basic beginnings and fundamentals of existence and life at all, and I think its because of my curiosity about death. If death is the anti-thesis of everything that life is, to fully understand life is to fully understand death. However, in so much as I have been finding that the only way to understand life is to live and move more and more away from conceptual understandings, I think the same is true of death. Only through living can one become ok with the concept of dying. THus the daily contemplation I give it. To be ok with my life is to be ok with the idea that I may die today. I mean I'd rather not, but if it happened, nothing much I can do to change it, best be happy with what I have experienced thus far.

I am an athiest (for the use of a simple and encompassing term). I think to explicate my actual metaphysical beliefs would be to explain my entire thought process and language. and thats a bit much. However, I think I can surmize certain aspects enough to say this. I think that linguistics of religion can be corrolated through contingent statements of identity. Namely such statements like God=Reality, or Karma=That which happens in a balance of action, etc. Iono, this is just somethin I have been thinkin bout. perhaps thats more for the Nature of the heavens and earth thread.

And fuck everyone for not participating in the general philosophy thread...(i keed i keed)

There are quite a few good philosophy forums out there, trying to get anything intelligent out of the majority of 12oz users, is like trying to get blood from a stone.