seeking and the great laptop caper

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Also you will notice buying things new is a hell of a lot more expensive then used. You can get a barely used laptop for a lot cheaper then new, and it will be just as good, or you could spend the same amount and get a better computer.

And whats with people buying new cars that suck, like cheap new cars? Man people are stupid these days. Or mayby im just in a bad mood which is probably the case.

Originally posted by seeking innocence

ah... the thing with apple, is that since they didnt sell their rights, they control all the pricing on their products. its very rare that you come across one company that has a much better deal than another. id be more than happy to take advantage of any deal you can find though.

actually, they did liscence they're stuff a few years ago, remeber Power Computing powerMacs? they were the SHIT!!! So much so, that Aple ended up buying Power Computing and bringing it all back 'in-house'... still, yeah, deals are usually pretty close...

on the used comp tip, I just bought a G3 barely used, it came from a company that went under, I got it and a 21" monitor for $400, gave the monitor to my dad and took his 17"... in return for that, I'm gonna get some assistance on my purchase of a 75 Mercedes 450SEL... :) :)

i looked into getting something used, or a pc. infact, i would almost rather have a pc, because thats what im using now... but honestly, ive just always liked mac's more. they're so much less problematic. and they arent any more expensive than a pc laptop.

i also looked into getting one used/refurbished, but it would only save me maybe a hundred bucks, and i wouldnt get as good of a deal over all.

...i know im jumping in way late seeks, but isnt 20 gig, gonna be shit for your computing needs, such as flash and web design, etc, etc...dont you need like 30 bro....vrrroooom....i dunno know i was checking out think pads and well they were pretty bad ass...my gurl has an ibook, the all white one...and yeah its fresh for simple needs...im saying if your going into debt better make it worth your price...

day late, and dollar and dollars short...r

Guest BilboBaggins
word? i thought they were real good. maybe i shouldnt get one now. what do you think i should buy suburban bum?

hahaha....do i smell sarcasm perhaps..............

...i know im jumping in way late seeks, but isnt 20 gig, gonna be shit for your computing needs, such as flash and web design, etc, etc...dont you need like 30 bro....vrrroooom....i dunno know i was checking out think pads and well they were pretty bad ass...my gurl has an ibook, the all white one...and yeah its fresh for simple needs...im saying if your going into dept better make it worth your price...

personally this is where the cdr/dvd drive comes into play for me...im trading off space for "burn-ability"....ie...i now burn all my mp3's and movies instead of keeping them on the ol' hard drive.....

:idea:

you know what though...i bet the powerbook will be coming out with a combodrive as well.....and that would just be plain sick!!!

that fell through.

and yes, the g4 now comes with a combo drive im told, BUT to get the model with the combo drive were talking an extra grand ATLEAST. if it was only money, i would probably splurge, but honestly, the reliability factor is a big concern for me. i already have a good desktop, so i need something that i can travel with. im sure id break a g4 in no time flat... the ibook is way more sturdy... a broken g4 doesnt look nearly as good as a working ibook, even with a bigger screen and a titanium case...

...yeah but which one?...cause im gonna need to run a whole bunch of shit like flash, photoshop, etc...can a laptop even hang, i dont have the kinda stability in my life for a desktop...doesnt mac put a few different ones out...which one does your roomie have hesh, and which one are you getting seeks....

rOe, warming up my credit card

i got the ibook, same as hesh's room mate.

yes, a laptop can function just as well as a desktop. can run the same amount of ram and all that. thats why they're so much more, cause they pack the same shit into a smaller case.

if you never travel, a desktop makes more sense cause its cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, etc. but if you get a laptop, you can always run an external keyboard, mouse, monitor etc, just like it was a desktop...

plus you can watch dvd's on the plane :)

Guest BROWNer

mm...good score dood.......

this isn't a concern yet, but once

your warranty runs out, make sure you

hook up apples extended warranty...

its like a year long coverage of any

hardware problems that you can

renew every year, for a good

price (couple hundred) considering what can happen...

eg-crunching your screen in, which

without the warranty would put you

back at least a grand to fix.

something to think about next year

or whenever your warranty expires.

yeah, im all over that shit. its the 'apple care' package. $250 for 3 years total. but since you get one year included, its actually only 2 more years. and you have exactly one calander year before you have to purchase it... super fresh. totally worth the 250, as im pretty much guranteed to break something....

the ibook is the little brother to the g4. pic is below...

all told, i paid $1615, thats with a free printer, ram upgrade etc.. it was the best deal i could find, so im happy. maybe after x-mas it might have been a little cheaper, but i dont care to wait any longer...

i-1.JPG

by this time tomorrow i'll be laying in bed typing...

what thinkpad you looking at? i have some experience with the T series, and the little older (but still decent) 600 series...

check out the compaq 1700, same featuers as the ibook, but with a slightly larger screen and a hundred bucks cheaper... i almost went for one, but in the end the mac won out (for no reason in particular)...

"dood im NOT getting a dell"

probably not a compaq either....i dunno the consumer in me is a sucker for for stereotypes and when it comes down to it, its either ibm or apple....people around the office have bitched about both dell and compaq...the other day i was in dunkin donuts and some guy was banging away on a thinkpad, so i just strolled up and started talking to him about it, and blah blah web design, blah blah graphic design, ya know the normal querries....he told me good things, and as i was standing outside smoking a butt he comes out we chat some more and he proceeds to get into a canary yellow 911....hmmm....i know i know, but as a consumer i cant help but think that there maybe some correlation even though there isnt....consumer behavior patterns....same way listening to you guys talk carries more weight then the dood in my office....word of mouth, and opinion leadres...anyways im looking at the A series...1 ghz and 30 gb, vrrrrooooommmm! and i want a read/rewrite...im looking at +2,000...i have a tendency to just say fuck it...thats why i can understand your need for instant gratification seeks....basically even though these days it doesnt matter i cant shake the relationship between artists and a mac, again the stereotypes, and again the theories of consumer behavior and brand images....can ya tell i was an advertising/marketing major in school...but thats kinda where i stand as of right now...your post xmas comment has got me thinking that perhaps i should hold off and see what the economy and post season shopping drop off brings....

rOe....always a sucker for good marketing and advertising

maybe in 96 mac's were better for graphics and what not, but now a days, i dont buy it. there might be a slight edge in real high end shit, but ive been doing graphic design for 6 years on both macs and pc's and never noticed an ounce of difference. sure, i do pretty basic stuff, but none the less. PC's are definitly quality enough for any sort of layman design needs.

A series... im not real familiar whith that, but if bordom gets the better of me, maybe i'll take a look.

if you can hold off, marketing trends lead me to believe that everything will be cheaper in january, especially big ticket items like computers... i would hold off. if nothing else, its sure not gonna be more expensive... but thats just me, and what the hell do i know?

seeking/impatiently awaiting the arrival of his new baby

Archived