Waiting for Wii...

SUR X3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got a Wii on Sunday, here's my review thus far.

The Wiimote is awesome, it has a bit of a jitter in the main menu, but works fine so far in the games I have.

You can make Mii's, which are online avatars that you can make friends with for online txt, picture chat and gaming.

Mii.jpg

There is a news and weather channel, though they are not online yet... The fuck?

forecastchannel.jpg

Having an XBOX360 and playing Gears of War for the last week or so, I can say that from what I have seen so far, the graphics on the Wii are crap.

Granted, I don't have the composite cables for the Wii (they aren't included and sold out everywhere), though I cannot think they would make a huge difference.

Think GameCube 2.0 graphics wise...

That said, the gameplay is fun as hell.

It comes with WiiSports which has Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and Boxing.

Wii Sports Bowling is fun as hell ^_^ (note imported Mii characters)

881.jpg&usg=__EUX0GDeCzvI2auRbmAMDqFxFkHQ=

I picked up Zelda and Trauma Center with the console.

wii_zelda_cs.jpg

zeldawii.jpg

ZELDA2.jpg

It's fun, the new controller works well, athough I still find myself clicking buttons sometimes instead of swinging. And perhaps I'm a little jaded when it comes to graphics, these screens do look nice. But it is nothing compared to the 360 (Yet, this seems to change with time. Remeber Resident Evil 4 for GC?)

I also got Trauma Center : Second Opinion

TCSO.jpg

It's a surgery puzzle game.

Seriously.

And it's fucking fun.

04.jpg

traumacenter.jpg

Where zelda uses the WiiMote as an pointer/aimer only for projectile attackes, Trauma Center uses it exclusively with the exception of using the Nunchuck to pick tools. To be honest, so far I like this game better (I get stuck on the fucking puzzles in zelda and get bored too easily.)

Stay away from Red Steel.

You've been warned.

So ultimately, how do I feel about the Wii?

I'm dissapointed in the graphics, while Nintendo never pretended their console was about media, I am disapointed non the less. Perhaps if the Wii is your 1st upgrade since gamecube/xbox it will be less noticable. The Wii comes with Wifi, aweseome!(the 360 doesn't...) but has no ethernet port (you have to buy an adapter) the fuck? It does not come with composite cables, and they are sold out everwhere.

Pros, really unique gameplay. Wii sports is simple as hell and just plain fun. Everyone want's to try it. The price is still relatively cheap, for the price of the less expensive PS3 I got a console, and extra controller, 2 year warranty, and 3 games. Can use gamecube games (RE4, Paper Mario, Windwalker, Smash Brothers, Metroid come to mind). Can download old catalog of games. The Mii system looks corny, but I'm excited to see how it turns out once more people get online. (The blue light around the disc slot remains black, but once you recieve a message it turns on, even if the system is off, cause it's in standby, not really off.) That seems cool to me, if you see that the light is on you have a message.

Anyways, I'd recommend it. But not if it's graphics you are after. And there is no killer ap really for the Wii (I almost typed game cube...) yet. So maybe it's best to wait until they can really prove that the new controller system really is the shit.

Hope this helps anyone.

Any questions people have about the Wii360 I will answer them.

$250 is a lot of money.

Learn the value of money, you spoiled brats.

Well, I guess the value of $250, according to my life, would be right around 21 hours - which, when spread out over the course of eight-hour work days and five-day work weeks with bi-weekly pay periods, doesn't exactly strike me as 'a lot'.

$250 is barely enough to provide yourself with a month's worth of shelter and (minimal) electricity in 2006 but that's okay because, even at the VERY minimum (meaning at minimum wage), you should be making around $800/month in this country.

So, if your rent, food, gas, and base essentials come out to $600 a month (this is probably an over-estimate, if you're living inside your means), you should still have around $200 worth of disposable income per month.

So really, it's not exactly unheard of if you're willing to put in your 40/week.

I'd rather look at it from an economic perspective as to what the 'opportunity cost' is.

Like to find out if spending $250 on a Wii be a good investment, take into account how many hours you have to work to get that much spare $$$? If those hours are less than the hours of enjoyment you could get from the Wii, then buy it, if not, then go and spend the money on some freaky azn hooker who can smoke cigarettes with her pussy.

BTW, can they get cancer from that???

Anyway, that is the way I analyse where to spend my dosh.

Value is not the same as cost.

Exactamundo. But, you know one thing that value IS?

Relative.

To establish relativity in monetary terms (as opposed to terms of personal importance), you have to look at how $250 relates to the world in 2006 (which is what I was trying to do with my last post). So, RELATIVE to the cost of basic survival (I think that's a good premise, don't you?) it's really NOT that much money.

I've been poor, lived on welfare, gone without celebrating christmas and been so desperate that $15 seems like the key to the city. That said: nobody's going to convince me that $250 is a lot of money.

More important than relative, value is SUBJECTIVE. If you don't see enough value in $250 to call it "a lot of money", then I feel your value of money is warped according to my personal evaluation of the same. Nobody, and certainly no economics equation is going to convince me that it ISN'T a lot of money, because I know just how far $250 can take you, even in today's expensive age. The fact that it can go far gives it a LOT of value in my eyes, and if you can't see that value, your head is up your ass in my opinion.

So... do you plan on telling me just 'how far' $250 can take you, with examples, or do you plan on acting like a frustrated 11 year old, ya big meanyfaced butt-sniffer?

How far can $250 take you in today's world? Here, I'll start for you:

By car, I guess that'd be about 2,140-2,860 miles worth of travel (depending on whether or not you like highways). That's sorta far... but not exactly 'going places'. So you must mean 'far' in some abstract socio-economic sense. Hmm.

Okay, got it:

Like, give $250 to a homeless man and watch him turn his life around-type far, right?

So now we're talking about the value of $250 based on what someone COULD do with it (subjective to their needs), as opposed to the VALUE of $250 relative to the cost of survival, fuel, or some other concrete number to premise your agruement upon?

Basically, I'm saying: '$250 isn't much relative to how much you can make if you're willing to work for it.' And you're saying: '$250 is a bunch of money because you can do stuff with it! If you don't see it that way, your head is stuck up your affluent ass!'

You're arguing on the premise of a hypothetical situation and trying to come at me as if I'm trying to make you look dumb or something. That sucks. I thought you had more style than that.

$100,000 is a lot of money.

$50,000 is a lot of money.

$1000 is a lot of money.

$500 is a lot of money.

$250 is a lot of money.

Learn the value of money, you spoiled brats.

Exactly.

But wow, i can't believe this all started because of my comment. But for the sake of my side of it (since it was my initial comment), i am from a pretty broken family, with very little income coming from only one parent. No, i did not finish high school, no, i'm not going to college, and no, i don't have a job. I'm not as old as the majority of you. I'm not a bum, i'm a human just like the rest of us that happened to be dealt shitty cards for 6 straight years. They certainly weren't the worst of cards - not at all, but they were shitty. Now you can go on and simply say "get a job", or "go back to school", but you don't know my life or who i am. And to me, 5 dollars is a lot of money, and i appreciate every dollar i get. Value vs cost is a huge thing to me.

I've gotten "what? you can't come hang out tonight cause you don't have $5? Haha, good one!", or "Just buy a new one." plenty of times, and it sucks.

Yeah, I am arguing on a hypothetical situation or whatever you wanna call it. It's definitely subjective. But I find it appalling that some of you think $250 isn't a lot of money. I don't care how much it costs relative to anything, or how much you make. It's not as if I were to become a millionaire, $10 all of a sudden becomes worth a penny. Ten bucks is ten bucks, and $250 is $250. When I was a kid and I made zero money, $250 was a lot. Now that I'm grown up and earn a decent living, $250 holds the subjective value in my mind as when I was a little kid. When I double my salary, I'm STILL gonna respect $250 for what it is.

I can find myself some sick travel deals for $250. I can buy an insane amount of alcohol, some gas money, and hitch a ride to the Virgin Islands to party for a week and come back with stories that will last a lifetime. I can go skydiving. I can get a mean-ass grill and have BBQ's every sunday that will rock my face on a weekly basis. Fuck, I can buy myself a fucking robot that will clean my house for the next few years. A ticket to Burning Man, which pretty much redefined my outlook on life. All those things have value to me.

The head-up-your-ass thing wasn't personally directed, just a general feeling towards anyone who will shrug off $250 as throwaway money.