RECORD covers of graffiti

imported_joewelcome

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jellybean.jpg

The infamous Jellybean album with the sick Seen rooftop. Seen painted every surface of this roof- the cover is an aerial shot.

zulu.jpg

Bambaataa's Timezone project. I believe this is Futura, much like many Celluloid covers. Dondi is thanked on the back. Does anyone else have the record that Phase 2 did? Mine is the promo without the cover... how about the Futura/Clash 12"?

mixers.jpg

Just_Ice.jpg

Two of MANY Sleeping Bag records with Gnome/Gemini ClockWorkKings art. They had the illest mid-80's style. Check out Gnome in Spraycan Art.

runDMC.jpg

This might be a cop-out, but it surprises me how many people don't know what this 12" looks like. Classic bad 80's neighborhood graf- Hollis Town. Photo by Glenn E. Friedman.

buffalo.jpg

Detail of the Malcolm McLaren "Duck Rock" LP- what "Buffalo Girls" came out on. This is the lettering that Dondi did for this project. Nice bugged box radio on the front of the sleeve too.

break.jpg

A great example of the shit that came out after Beat Street, the time when everyone wanted to sell the whole breaking/hiphop package. There are lots of "how to breakdance" records and they're usually so bad they're almost always hilarious.

mitchel.jpg

This gem is something that dropped out of the sky, a early 80's jazz record with a Martha Cooper shot on the cover- the same duster/lizzie car in Subway Art but theis one is one frame behind. By the way, Mitchel Forman looks like such a herb I refuse to play the record.

here Vadim's definatley in top top hip hop producers of all time, don't sleep on the Russian Percussion.......

i cant be bothered to move from my seat to go get the sleeve and scan it so youll have to do with these

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/images/ussr_other_side.jpg'>

http://www.djvadim.com/vdsc.03.jpg'>

http://www.spikemagazine.com/recordreviews/unkle.jpg'>

Futura 2000

Loads more out here i like this post:king:

Oh, trust me, that Mitchel Forman is completely herb-y. Don't chance your stylus with his style.

Recent Tommy Boy compilation had a graf cover that said Tommy Boy Records... very nice job.

I have some that are pretty hilariously bad.... but not a whole lot that are great.

16vandals is right on about the Malcom guest spot. Hot.

The Delta covers ae sick. If I'm not mistaken, they all started as canvases done with pretty ordinary acrylics by a very extraordinary guy.

yo 16V-

Time Zone was one of the many projects that Bam had going on. John Lydon only appeared on the "World Destruction" 12" but you're right- it's definitely ahead of its time. I remember hearing that on the radio when it was new and it's still slammin'.

sofa-

that Just Ice piece is nice nice nice. are those all canadian kids? that doesn't look like the east coast Aroe.

let's just keep it all RECORDS. NO CDS PLEASE! more on the way...

Guest imported_sofarok
Originally posted by joewelcome

sofa-

that Just Ice piece is nice nice nice. are those all canadian kids? that doesn't look like the east coast Aroe.

thats NT crew brom Brighton, England

Sofarok - you from brighton? I am..

And yes, that would be NT.. Isn't NT basicly the old DBS though with a few (but little) changes? They have a lot of shit up.. But tbh, dont like half of it.. Still give the props for getting up so much though.. And they can do some quality pieces.

NT arent rap fans...

they are hip hop obsessives :) Although, tbh I dont know a single member of NT.. I just know a guy who paints quite a bit with them.. And judging from him, and that piece kinda backs it up, they are into all things hip hop.. Zulu Nation style stuff.. Kinda thing i dont really see the point of :)

http://www.yourphotos.com/users/7583/ice.jpg'>

This is on the back of Ice T's first album. It was used as his 'logo' for a few years. For all you nostalgics, there's a great picture of Natas Kaupas (once pro-skater, now pro designer) skating some benches with this shirt on.

http://www.yourphotos.com/users/7583/newcl.jpg'>

A pretty tough record to find, this is Newcleus' second album (meaning- it doesn't have "Jam On It"- errr, on it). Both of them are done by comic veteran Bob Camp but I'm kinda feeling the 'graf in space' theme here- for 1985 electro-funk anyhow.

c'mon... there's plenty more- dig 'em up.

someone got a copy of the Jazz bin standard "School Days" by Stanley Clarke? i've seen it 2000 times but i don't have a copy of it. good cover painting of him hitting subway tiles with cans.

Archived