General Philosophical discussion

the.crooked

Havn't read any Frege, but will be sure to scoop some up next time I'm book hunting. Betrand's Intro to Mathmatical Philosophy will be my first book on the subject, from what I've read it's pretty darn accessible. I'd like to start with Russell's view on logicism before I get into Godel so I can take it all in.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crooked so where can i find the cliff notes on whats going on right now in philosophy. I dont have much time to read full out books. I had a great collection of books but lost them all during moves. I have pretty much read up to about the last 50 years or so, one of my friends told me to read Wilbur and i had a book but lost it.

Whats the best place to get small doses of whats happening maybe a blog or some websites. Or some publications.

Wikipedia is not a bad resource.

There is lots of stuff to find on different areas of contemporary philosophy that is well cited and backed up.

That being said, be careful.

Also, I have another idea to give out some access to certain journals and other databases that I get access to through my school, if some people are interested. PM me if you think you are.

There are some that are much better than wiki and do some of the same stuff.

Routledge Encyclopedia is a great sort of abridged version of learning about things. I would suggest that for you Poesia. You should def pm me bout this database stuff.

but yeah, I will post up in a bit some stuff I have been writing tonight as the preface to my Div III project.

I am gonna start posting files again in here as well. So this will be uploaded as a .doc and .docx file for people. Eventually I will start posting things in PDF once I get the plugin.

Ok, back to writing, but I will be back here in a bit if anyone will be around.

Havn't read any Frege, but will be sure to scoop some up next time I'm book hunting. Betrand's Intro to Mathmatical Philosophy will be my first book on the subject, from what I've read it's pretty darn accessible. I'd like to start with Russell's view on logicism before I get into Godel so I can take it all in.

When you get to Godel, you are gonna blow your shit though. It is pretty fantastic. The implications for what it means about how our own thought processes work is amazing.

gahh, I can go into this later. Keep me updated on what you are reading, I would love to hear your thoughts on a lot of stuff in here.

Also if there is anything you are workin on, etc, post up.

Man, what a load of semantics. I feel like you took a couple of interesting ideas and weighed them down with lead and dropped them in a pond.

There is so much going on when humans use language that I think your starting viewpoint is hopelessly myopic. If part of your thesis is to ENRICH the extremely cold, clinical denotative/connotative paradigm with some dimensions of time, emotion, will, etc. then you have a chance. If you're going to stay bogged down in those dusty old definitions, and words and sentences that would make Orwell wince,* I don't think you'll make either logical or popular headway.

*see Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language" if you haven't already.

Here is the preface to my Div III project.

Yes, yes I did quote myself to open the whole thing.

Interesting, i think that you are on the right path. Sometimes and it is not just philosophy, we as individuals will feel the need to stand out if you will. To be genuine and original is the hardest thing to do as an artist, thinker or any other field of this origin. I have personally struggled and studied and struggled and so forth. What i have come to understand is if we ever are to have one thought that is original it will matter little, compared the process of breaking down and dealing with generalized ideas. I highly doubt that the author of the article was the first person to have this thought, but it is his actual ability to move forward and push the idea farther. Me as an artist, and maybe others like yourself will see more merit, and useful progression through piggybacking and analyzing someone elses idea a little better than the next guy. This progression will no doubt prove to be of more consequence then the spark, become the fire.

Eh. My interest in philosophy is between Plato, Nietzsche, and anything of the East right now... everything else is meh.

Currently studying Greek/Roman mystery religions to get a better idea of where Plato got some of his ideas (many of the Greek philosophical ideas originated in mystic cults, apparently, such as the idea of the soul and quite possibly Plato's theory of forms).

Intellectualism just isn't doing it for me.

There are many complications that can go into someones own personal philosophy regarding life. But it is truly impossible to completely comprehend and understand philosphy due the "indiviual perception". This is the persons complete outlook on life, what they see, and how they even think and comprehend thoughts. We have a select number of core memorys and expriences that shape are outlook on life, and therefore are perception. this perception makes us identify between right and wrong, which in its whole is are philosophy for life. Philosphys are simply only malable to one indiviual and no one else. So subscribing to a philosphy blindly is incorrect and somewhat foolish. Becuase you have to find your own path. But one thing should remain ever true and present;" right is right, wrong is wrong". This, along with deep self evaluation, deep emotional thought, and overall expirences; both negative and positive will help find your path and "your philosophy".

• 2 weeks later...

personal philosophy i live by: do wat ever u want as long as it doesnt offend or hurt ne1...in terms of drug use...i dont really think its bad things like LSD Shrooms n Bud i think are good for certain people...beer is good for anyone and everyone...my philosophy is we may live once we may goto heaven we maybe reincarnated..life's a game enjoy the ride..dont stress over work if u dont gotta n enjoy the weekend like theres no2moro...:p