i always wanted a bonsai tree

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the best advice ever for you right now. In my opinion.

Find the most legit bonsai person in your area, and buy your stuff from them, and build a relationship with that person. Really do your research. Like you were getting a tattoo, but you're getting a bonsai.

I have a guy I drive 45 minutes to to get my supplies and bonsais from. He's also been cultivating bonsais for 45+ years. Both personally and professionally. I have a good relationship with him, and he literally teaches me whatever I want to know. How to pot, train, trim, etc.

I can call him up on the phone like "yo my bonsais all fucked up it's ignoring me and listening to rap music and it's grades are dropping in school what do I do?"

And he'll explain how and why to do exactly what I need to do to get it back on track.

Also read, read, read, and get 4 more pre-bonsais, and expect 3 of them to die while you learn. But this speeds up the learning process a lot.

my 2 yuan

DSC02870.jpg

a greenhouse style terrarium of carnivorous plants iv been growing. easy to maintain. not a bonsai but equally as interesting.

these are easy to maintain and cheap.....even if you get a very small juniper bonsai...its gonna set you back like $25....but for $25 you can get a bunch of "traps" like this guy has.....and they are easy to feed....just give them dead flies so they can get their nitrogen intake for the day.

yeah...usually people will buy them and touch the inside with a pencil or something causing them to close up....but it takes more energy for the trap to open its mouth than to close...but since no food was put into its mouth, it cant produce the energy to open its mouth again....thus eventually dying.....you can buy the really small venus traps at the local nursery for like $3.99.

^^yeah its cool.....but i heard a story about them during the vietnam war...soldiers would try to run into fields of them to try and hide to get away....but when the leaves would collapse like that it would just expose them....hella people got killed because of that.....i dont know if this stroy is true or if its an urban myth....but this is the story i heard.

...ya this bad ass has 15 of them...I find it very relaxing prunning them and caring for them. I have had several for over 15 years already. Surprising thread. Note: certain varieties and for indoors and certain varieties are for strickly outdoors, some are delicate, while others are very hardy and impossible to kill. GuerrillaWon knows what is up, my guy is a seventh generation bonsai master....ask questions...get answers and be sure to practice your crane kicks!.....

Actually, I think the pick you showed us hides the root structure, I bet it is really cool. What type of plant is it? I would totally get rid of the pot someday in favor of a nice handmade one. Half the value of the plant is in how it's potted, mossed and rocked out, etc.

I've had countless plants die on me. But I do have a few living right now. It's all a very slow learning process through trial and error. I guess my best advice would be not to fuck around with it too much. Resist the urge to cut it all up and force it to do things it does not want to do. Also, if you can, keep 'em outside. If you have to bring them indoors, don't move them around too often. One more thing, read up on the particular plant you acquire. If you plan to train a juniper- read up on the juniper. This is all just shit I've noticed from my experience. meh.

^^yeah its cool.....but i heard a story about them during the vietnam war...soldiers would try to run into fields of them to try and hide to get away....but when the leaves would collapse like that it would just expose them....hella people got killed because of that.....i dont know if this stroy is true or if its an urban myth....but this is the story i heard.

and this whole time i thought people died cause we were losing the war:D

• 2 weeks later...

...so meh wife bought me a late birfday/father's day gift: a 75 year old Shimpaku Bonsai, sooo beautiful and covered in moss, thanks dearest!...

...I bought a crazy razor sharp pair of good quality japanese bonsai pruning shears. Thank god for finger nails because I almost cut the tip of my pinky off...(note, shears to be used only for branches, not foilage, see above)

...I brought a few of my specimins to Mr. Miagi for some prunning advice and he says I'm too gentile with mine and that two of them "have too many heads and no leader", so, only one leader kids, too many confuse the plant and the necessary elements for good trunk girth will not happen...