Car problem, what do you think?

DISTRACT

I was driving at about 80kms tonight and a f**king dog or fox ran across the road and I instinctively slammed on the breaks and i didnt realise but my wheels must of locked up for about 30 metres, I looked back and I could noticably see smoke. Anyway I start to drive and it feels like my tyres have a flat spot because the car shakes with each rotation of the wheel and the noise gets faster with speed, I think it could be a flat spot, but it could be something else.

Could it be the diff or axels that are f**k up?

Could it be a flat spot in the tyres?

What else could be the problem with the car?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Or you could go back to where this occurred and look for rubber on the road. Then look at your tires for a spot of uneven wear.

I can almost assure you that your gut feeling is right and that your tyres are messed up.

On top of that I have evidence because I just got the tyres replaced on my car because it was shaking. Completely cured it.

-fuse.

you can say fuck.

its ok, were all mostly big boys here.

im too young for all that mang.. :(

theres quite a few things that could have happend.

Pre-Note: im pretty sure it wasnt a flat spot in your tire.. that will happen only when the tire is punctured or if it sits for a very long period of time (6 months+). uneven wear is a possibility.

1. CV Axle/CV joint- causes a clicking sound when going bad, and as it progresses can give a bumping effect.

2. Rotors/Calipers/Pads- when you lock up like that you can easily warp your rotors, causing the rotor to scrape against the brake pads and/or calipers. causing the same thumping experience.

3. Differential- could have thrown something out in the dif. if you were still in gear.. unlikely though.

4. Lugs/Lug Studs- if you snapped a lug nut or lug stud off, then your wheel and tire would be pulling off the hub and slapping back against it. causing the same effect, which is a little more potentially dangerous (i know from experience) when another stud goes, you are fucked, i had 2 studs snap at 80mph... luckily i got off the road in time but still had to have a tow come to get my ass.

The party that PSM advertised for this weekend. Some kid hit a deer threw it in the back of his truck and let it sit there bleeding all over our driveway... His girlfriend walked in covered in blood looked like carrie... Fucking rednecks the friends I brought were freaked out. Then I got pissed because there was blood dryed on my driveway the next morning....

ase tech chiming in.....

what make, model and year of your car? just curious.

i call bullshit on the guy who said that you cant flat spot a tire by locking up your brakes. this sounds like what happened, in my opinion. seen it a handful of times, but you have to reallly really be going fast and slide for a long time.

unless you hit something, you didnt bend a wheel. so rule that out. im sure nothing miraculously fell apart on your front end after hard stop. an axle 99% of the time will not give you a vibration like you are experiencing. as long as the pulsation is in the wheels ( not a brake pedal pulsation ) i'd take your car to a shop, put it on the rack and spin the tires. swap out the bad ones. check the front end for the hell of it.

with a super hard stop like that you could of warped your rotors too..... in that case you'll have a brake pedal pulsation.

4. Lugs/Lug Studs- if you snapped a lug nut or lug stud off, then your wheel and tire would be pulling off the hub and slapping back against it. causing the same effect, which is a little more potentially dangerous (i know from experience) when another stud goes, you are fucked, i had 2 studs snap at 80mph... luckily i got off the road in time but still had to have a tow come to get my ass.

uhh...last year i snapped off FOUR out of five lug studs...and didn't even realize it until several days later, when someone flagged me down and told me it looked like my wheel was gonna fall off...i'm stupid...

prolly just burned rubber off the part of the wheel that got locked.

new tyres for you there matie

might wanna think about ABS (anti lock brakes) for your next car

It's an old porsche, so to retro fit it with ABS will be costly.

ase tech chiming in.....

what make, model and year of your car? just curious.

i call bullshit on the guy who said that you cant flat spot a tire by locking up your brakes. this sounds like what happened, in my opinion. seen it a handful of times, but you have to reallly really be going fast and slide for a long time.

unless you hit something, you didnt bend a wheel. so rule that out. im sure nothing miraculously fell apart on your front end after hard stop. an axle 99% of the time will not give you a vibration like you are experiencing. as long as the pulsation is in the wheels ( not a brake pedal pulsation ) i'd take your car to a shop, put it on the rack and spin the tires. swap out the bad ones. check the front end for the hell of it.

with a super hard stop like that you could of warped your rotors too..... in that case you'll have a brake pedal pulsation.

yeh I admit I was going atleast 3 times the speed limit, I didnt apply the breaks hard at first had like 200 metres to stop because there was a red light and it locked up for the last 50 or so metres.