Black People for White Names

Gunm

I was wondering about what happens to black individuals that get those...uhm....."non-conforming" names from their parents...

How important do you think it is to have a "normal" name in todays job market?

Would you hire a Jill or a "Mercedes"?

A Bob or a Tyreese?

A Seeking or Tesseract?

SneakandCreep or a LENS?

Who would have thoughts names would have such an impact on whether a company would hire you or not. i think i saw some crazy dateline special on this a few years ago where they went undercover and watched employers ditch perfectly qualified resumes on the basis of what they considered a "crazy black ghetto name"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3628363#post3628363

It's been a bit but it was discussed in length and one of the better quotes is:

no, it's in serious need of honesty.

4. everyone likes chicken.

5. if you're going to tell me you wouldnt make fun of a white girl named starshine, you're fucking lying. even white girls named bridgette make fun of white girls named starshine.

I knew a Russian girl named Mercedes and a Mexican GUY names Lexus...I'm not sure if either was actually after the cars though.

Lexus was a funny guy, he got back together with his slutty ex and convinced her to lower his child support payments (which she ironically was spending on a Lexus) than once it was official he dumped her again...

but where's the ethnicity? you said shits historical or something and based on nationality and tradition.

around my area we had a word "age racism" for when they wouldn't hire old people.

Then bullshit was called on the term cause becoming older doesnt have shit to do with race.

Now that term doesnt really exist anymore.

But I don't really care, I just like to be a smart ass with little issues.

I'm with everyone that they can wear whatever the fuck they want to work. Another guy here can't have moustache at work. that really sucks you know, man has a right to his facial hair

This is a thread about race and specifically ghetto names that often times reflect an upbringing in a neighborhood where education is not valued and a willingness to meet any expectations (like legal, credit or employment) outside of your own is at the bottom of your priority list but loud colors, voices and music combined with complaints about the world being against them is at the top.

No more hair talk, someone call me racist or something...

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3628363#post3628363

It's been a bit but it was discussed in length and one of the better quotes is:

Yeah I remember this, here's where I owned seeking ;)

I strongly disagree with some of the points you have made here. I am amazed that you can actually say that someone with a name like Lakisha is more likely to mispronounce words than someone named Brent. This is very wrong for many reasons.

If the two have similar resumes, it means that they both have similar backrounds and education, meaning that obviously this Lakisha, if at the same status as Brent, has gotten a grasp on the english language and is a proficient worker. Theres no reason to think that just because she has african american heritage that she is more likely to not be able to pronounce simple words and phrases. I find that highly offensive to any hard working african american who has done well in studies and followed through with hard work and college to get a good job.

Another thing is that The American SAT's are designed completely for white-america. The entire tests are deveoped in a way that is much easier and more understandable to kids who have grown up in the average white society, for instance, a suburb. Therefore, most blacks score lower on tests just because of their backround, reflecting nothing on intelligence. Dont believe me? Read the book "Institutional Racism in America" and you will understand. Or search the web for institutional racism and read on one of the vast amounts of sources supporting my point (not that i am originating this idea, and they are supporting ME personally obviously). So really what this means is that someone who is black and has a similar resume to a white person, and higher or equilivent education means they had to work HARDER. Everything that they had to do was harder for them due to every single thing that is designed for white america, including the sugar coated history all the way to the bad grades because of rascist teachers and distractions from living in a lower class neighborhood like drugs and gangs, all the way to the tests. I'm sick of talking about this but you get my point. Don't call such a completely stereotyping statement "fact". thats just bullshit. and im not trying to disrespect you or lecture you or something, im just arguing the argument.

http://www.nyec.org/racism.htm

but where's the ethnicity? you said shits historical or something and based on nationality and tradition.

around my area we had a word "age racism" for when they wouldn't hire old people.

Then bullshit was called on the term cause becoming older doesnt have shit to do with race.

Now that term doesnt really exist anymore.

But I don't really care, I just like to be a smart ass with little issues.

I'm with everyone that they can wear whatever the fuck they want to work. Another guy here can't have moustache at work. that really sucks you know, man has a right to his facial hair

oh, i should have explained... i'm samoan so having long hair is important to me. that's why it has to do with race. i don't just think it's cool, and i'm not necessarily trying to look like fabio. ok, sort of.

i don't mind people just making up names, as long as they know they just made that shit up. it's better than naming them some name from the damned bible.

HOWEVER,

i have a huge problem with people who spell their own kids' names wrong. i bet there's a bunch of people running around named "Micheal" instead of "Michael"... especially when it's in ways that could not possibly be pronounced the way they're spelled.

the best example i can think of is football player Laveranues Coles. pronounced "La-Ver-Nee-Us" ....THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY THAT "LAVERANUES" COULD SOUND THAT WAY.