Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunm

Black People for White Names

I was wondering about what happens to black individuals that get those...uhm....."non-conforming" names from their parents...

How important do you think it is to have a "normal" name in todays job market?

Would you hire a Jill or a "Mercedes"?

A Bob or a Tyreese?

A Seeking or Tesseract?

SneakandCreep or a LENS?

Who would have thoughts names would have such an impact on whether a company would hire you or not. i think i saw some crazy dateline special on this a few years ago where they went undercover and watched employers ditch perfectly qualified resumes on the basis of what they considered a "crazy black ghetto name"

I'm glad I have a white sounding name. That way I can succeed in today's racist job market. That is.... until I show up for the interview

My sister-in-law's sister's boyfriend is named Superman.

He is a negro.

He has to show people his driver's license all the time to prove it is his real name.

His parents must really hate black people.

They made his life harder than it had to be.

I would hire whoever is most qualified for the job, and not tell other people what to name their kids.

co-signed

....if a lady wants to name her daughter alize or brandy or after any other alcoholic drink...she should have that right.

my last name is pretty foreign looking.

i've got long hair and i think some employers think i'm a hippie or something. i hate to play the race card, but i think that's kind of racist. i mean, i'm in a country where a lot of the native men wore their hair long... when in rome, and shit.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3628363#post3628363

It's been a bit but it was discussed in length and one of the better quotes is:

no, it's in serious need of honesty.

4. everyone likes chicken.

5. if you're going to tell me you wouldnt make fun of a white girl named starshine, you're fucking lying. even white girls named bridgette make fun of white girls named starshine.

there's no race with long hair only, therefore it's not racism

it's at the very least ethnocentric.

that's like telling somebody that wears a turban or headscarf they can't wear their "hat" to work.

I knew a Russian girl named Mercedes and a Mexican GUY names Lexus...I'm not sure if either was actually after the cars though.

Lexus was a funny guy, he got back together with his slutty ex and convinced her to lower his child support payments (which she ironically was spending on a Lexus) than once it was official he dumped her again...

but where's the ethnicity? you said shits historical or something and based on nationality and tradition.

around my area we had a word "age racism" for when they wouldn't hire old people.

Then bullshit was called on the term cause becoming older doesnt have shit to do with race.

Now that term doesnt really exist anymore.

But I don't really care, I just like to be a smart ass with little issues.

I'm with everyone that they can wear whatever the fuck they want to work. Another guy here can't have moustache at work. that really sucks you know, man has a right to his facial hair

When I worked in a kitchen they told me I couldn't have my beard...I compromised by shaving my neck. Then eventually I grew the wiggerish chinstrap you all know and love

This is a thread about race and specifically ghetto names that often times reflect an upbringing in a neighborhood where education is not valued and a willingness to meet any expectations (like legal, credit or employment) outside of your own is at the bottom of your priority list but loud colors, voices and music combined with complaints about the world being against them is at the top.

No more hair talk, someone call me racist or something...

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now