Play Bridge with The Golden Girls!

CALIgula

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Bridge..Golden Gate

I figure people are going to find a way to kill themselves whether theres a fence there or not. You could fence every bridge in america and i doubt suicide rates would decrease any significant amount

yeah, at least jumping off the bridge has a local flavor. there are other bridges in sf anyway.

Re: The Bridge..Golden Gate

A lot of you seem to be talking about eating a lot of xanax to kill yourselves. I don't recommend it as a friend of mine took 50 in an attempt to do himself in; it didn't work.

I would want to blow myself apart. Not in a crowd or anything, but I figure a dynomite vest would be a pretty cool way to go and it would be certain to kill me.

Bonus: I wouldn't crap myself when I died.

-fuse.

maybe not in a crowd but you could tackle someone you hate first.

Parachutist Dies Jumping Off Bridge at W.Va. Festival

Associated Press

Sunday, October 22, 2006

FAYETTEVILLE, W.Va., Oct. 21 -- Thousands of people watched a participant jump to his death during West Virginia's annual Bridge Day festival Saturday when his parachute opened too late, a sheriff said.

Brian Lee Schubert, 66, of Alta Loma, Calif., died of injuries suffered when he hit the water 876 feet below the New River Gorge Bridge, officials said. After Schubert's body was recovered and taken to a funeral home, jumping at the festival resumed, Fayette County Sheriff Bill Laird said.

The fatality is the first since 1987 at the event, which typically draws an estimated 100,000 spectators and about 400 parachutists to the southern part of the state.

For one day a year, the National Park Service allows people to parachute off the world's second-largest single-span bridge to the river below. The bridge, a well-known icon in West Virginia, is featured on the back of the state's quarter.

To qualify to jump off the bridge, applicants must have skydived at least 50 times.

Laird said the jumping was allowed to continue because weather didn't appear to be a factor in the accident.

There were 804 jumps Saturday, officials said. Nearly 400 jumpers from 13 countries participated, and several minor injuries were reported.

In 1966, Schubert and a friend became the first people to jump from El Capitan, a nearly 3,000-foot-tall rock formation in California's Yosemite National Park.