Wash DC

colonisms

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
You calling Ultra stupid for beefing online with TCB? Wow!

The original TCB crew is from Florida... so is the original artist, MOE.

NO! I got mad respect for ULTRA...he is one of the only real writers in here...I was there when he smashed the streets...and stood in AWE of it...Were you around? All Im saying is that back then, there was no THREAD for airing issues, shit got dealt with...bottom line...no 12oz or shit like that...Damn fucking cell phones was even hot like that...For the most part ULTRA is retaliating and saying real shit...But you got these no name no credability writers talking shit...LIKE AKER...KNOWING HE GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM...and comes on here being a racist or talking shit...Just shut the fuck about all of this shit...its not beef when its online...its like a fucking AA meeting...At the end of the day I don't give a fuck...so fuck you post your pointless driblle and do what the fuck you want...I was trying to make a point...don't take it too seriously

NO! I got mad respect for ULTRA...he is one of the only real writers in here...I was there when he smashed the streets...and stood in AWE of it...Were you around? All Im saying is that back then, there was no THREAD for airing issues, shit got dealt with...bottom line...no 12oz or shit like that...Damn fucking cell phones was even hot like that...For the most part ULTRA is retaliating and saying real shit...But you got these no name no credability writers talking shit...LIKE AKER...KNOWING HE GOT HIS ASS HANDED TO HIM...and comes on here being a racist or talking shit...Just shut the fuck about all of this shit...its not beef when its online...its like a fucking AA meeting...At the end of the day I don't give a fuck...so fuck you post your pointless driblle and do what the fuck you want...I was trying to make a point...don't take it too seriously

The internet has ruined graff. Back in the day you could tell where people were from; not only from their handstyle, but from their tag style as well. You had Philly style, Chino influenced west coast style, NY wild style, etc. When Sime showed up you could tell he was from Europe from his German influenced style. When Demon evolved you could see the Asian influences coming out in the new sick shit he was putting out. Ultra had his own clean distinct flavor as well. Evolution is a great thing, otherwise people would still be doing old school NY caveman shit. Technology can both help and hinder at the same. Graff wouldn't be where it is without it, but it has also suffered a bit from its 'globalization'. Just like how other cultures around the world have become 'Americanized'; each has lost a little bit of it's distinct local flavor as it has assimilated with others'. Now, don't even start with the internet...

that shit just fucks everything up with all the anon trolls and toys starting beef...I wish people still only had 'zines, blackbooks, and shoeboxes full of flicks to compare.

the majority of the good stuff being painted in the 80s and some of the 90s is so much better the 99% of everything being painted at all right now.

It's the attitude that sucks nowadays and it manifests itself like a virus on the internet. The early nineties were the nexus and height of both rap and graff. the majority of rap was all positive and mental and there was practically zero beef in both realms. It was all about the music and the art. I think that the music and art scenes in DC are intrinsically tied together. Once the harDCore and GoGo scene of the early nineties died down, all that was left was rap and it went all beef (not that biggie and tupac weren't great...just after them, it went to hell); so, naturally, so did the graff. Music influences art and once the rap went crap, so did the DC graff scene.

• Like 1

if you don't think there was beef in rap before the mid 90s you don't know shit about hip hop.

Of course there was, but the majority of the shit coming out in the early ninties was introspective; shit like, Digable, Del, De la, Tribe, etc. Yeah, there was gangster shit like NWA and Ice T, but that was pure marketing. New York really wasn't like that yet. NY was street, slick, and smooth, but not gangster. Plus, take a look at the eventual west coast gangsters in the 80's like Ice T mceeing in his cameo in Breakin'...he wasn't gangster at all...he was more like Fresh Prince.... and Dre before NWA was working (MCing/DJing) Disco style parties wearing shiny sequenced one pieces...and Tupac...he was prancing around for Digital Underground.

^does this have anything 2 do with graffiti in dc....no go 2 the rap beef thread

If you took the time to read more comprehensively starting a couple of posts earlier you would have known the topic was about the intrinsic relationship between music and graff in DC. In the early nineties, when DC harDCore was alive and kicking again and GoGo was getting some national/mainstream notoriety, DC graff was off the chain. When the scenes died down so did the graff. All that was left to musically inspire DC graff was rap...when it went crap so did the graff.