Wash DC

colonisms

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

there were mesk tags running last time i was around in 98 at lenfant. sven im not so sure, and probably some leftover clear shit that i didnt get to diss.

you can grow up watching graff and doing it on a small scale and see writers that you didnt know who they were until we get some knowledge. i probably went past the lee piece on the back of the vault a thousand times until i knew what it was and started admiring it.

he didnt specify what year it was either, many of us credit our writing career to our very earliest stage, shit i used to put up "spic" in slayer type with an upside down i when i was 14 and in high school and had no idea that i was doing graff, you can have an eye for something and later realize what you were doing.

me at 10 years old in nyc fascinated by graff on trains. 1983. who would have thought that years later it would control my life... and i was put down in the crew i was standing in front of...

CAST12.jpg

Well, dude came to the scene with another name right after I left in '03. And I can tell you from being very active from '96 to '03, the only names that belong on that list are Exist and Some. Every other name, especially the ones I mentioned in my last post, had very few things running; albeit some less than others. And that includes tags. No disrespect to anyone on that list, but I found that list gave a false of impression of DC graff when he came into it. If he meant to say something else, I dig it. But if you didn't write graff before '03 in DC, most those names were not ones you saw on a regular basis.

It's one thing to prop those that influenced you, it's another to create the impression that they were writers that were up when he started writing. That's my point.

Let me develop my point. All the writers he mentioned should certainly have a prominent place in the DC graffiti lexicon, but he ignored the whole generation between him and them...presenting a skewed perspective. Particularly because the generation he ignored was the generation that was active when he dove into the scene. He gives the impression that DC graff stopped after the 90's and he brought it back. Does this make sense?

I hear that..i will say that i did see svev alot when i was coming up as well(just depends on where you were looking..and this was disputed on here before i believe) DNC gets overlooked but they were doing the damn thing around that time and even HSK were getting it in but no one talks about them (mostly because of bias or hurt feelings) I dont really think it was a stone cold testament to who was up then but more of a "who i seen up" type of thing. I know i saw some names that werent prominent dc heads that influenced me hard. To each their own i suppose. I think the words he puts on the wall mean alot more than words that he said in a magazine

All the writers he mentioned should certainly have a prominent place in the DC graffiti lexicon...

I dont really think it was a stone cold testament to who was up then but more of a "who i seen up" type of thing.

Truth and truth. As Cast said, he didn't really give the time frame. He may have seen quite a few folks before he actually started getting up.

im not sure u can speak for what influences someone else. i know that right now just about every person on that list has something running on the streets of dc and we're talking 10-15 years later.

(that kinda illustrates my point right there. i barely pay attention to red line and freight cars. all i usually appreciate is street shit. where others think a few bullshit hollows on the red line means everything.)