Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bobobi11

Recipes for Thanksgiving?

Anyone have any really good recipes for Thanksgiving dinner? I am working on my menu and can't really decide what I want to make. I would like to try something new.

just make sure that the breast meat reaches 152, and the leg meat reaches 160 and not much higher. i'm not sure the exact timing, there are many schools of thought, the high temp. "quick" turkey is a good one too, very crispy, but some combination of slow roasting, constant movement, or just once, and high temperature last hour searing is where it's at. i like cooking live for turkey day recipies myself, i'm about to go help mom out, but i think i'll let her cook today.

other food tv shows to check for hot recipies imho:

food911-good solid food tips and techniques

melting pot-maybe alex's turkey mole is on there

good eats

pukka tukka, the naked chef, yeah he's english-i bet he makes a good roast beef which is great for thanksgiving

if you want to tofu, good luck, the most decadent tofu i've had has got to be tofu age and those sweet tofu packages the japanese make, they would be great today, even for your meat eating friends. which you could subsititue for, but the ingredients would be easy to find if your city has a japanese, korean or larger asian market or the west coast. hey, if nothing else works, there's always chinese takeout. hope this helps.

ok, ok, here's the update. the bird has been put in the oven, repeat, the bird's in the oven. actually it's all mom will let me handle, she knows i wouldn't settle for any less. what am i going to do? i don't know, i saw the cook's illustrated show on chicken, which taught me a thing or two, and the timing for our turkey @325 is 3.5 hours. i'm not worried about seasoning it too much, it's a butterball. i am worried about not scorching my breast meat trying to get those juices clear. my only tool, my taylor instant read thermometer. ok, so it's not lab quality, so kill me, oh, ok, you'll let the salmonella take care of that? when has anyone died from that? pshaw. i'm not sure yet, i'm going to play it by ear, here's the rough plan, but i'm going to start upside down on the rack at 325, so the breast meat gets cooked slower and is more flavorful from the constant self basting action. after two hours i'm going to flip the bird over. at two and a half hours i'm going to turn the oven temp. up to 450-500 and make some malliard reactions (brown the skin real good). mmm, turkey good. happy thanksgiving everybody!

Guest serpent of the light

subway, veggie delight, no cheese, no jalapenos or green peppers, extra olives.

xxx303

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this