Creating unity amongst community

retreatback

:) Hello, I am someone trying to listen and learn of formulas and other ways to achieve awareness and legal/permission walls in my community. There is a huge problem with younger kids destroying everything right now and I have the attention of the city manager. I need to get some advice. Please any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the way i knew of it getting done:

step one (not necessary but helpful)

compile portfolio of a few GOOD walls you've done with people who will be painting with you, legals are best...jams are good for getting this shit done..

if you are worried about your identity, make the name you are painting legally something other than your graf name.

find wall smashed with shitty graffiti that is attached to a business

approach business inquiring about the identity of the owner, so that you may approach him/her/them with an offer about doing a mural on their wall to discourage graffiti

(or talk to city manager)

discuss intelligently with owner (city manager) that you would like to paint a NICE graffiti mural and show examples..look nice and speak articulately, explain that it will deter other graffiti

explain that you might paint what they wish IF they pay for materials

(if not you paint what you want)

if you do not explain that you are trying to do a graf mural, they may well stop what you are doing while you are doing once they figure out what you are up to, so it is usually best to be upfront with them unless you paint really fast

discuss intelligently with owner (city manager) that you would like to paint a NICE graffiti mural and show examples..look nice and speak articulately, explain that it will deter other graffiti

Something tells me this kid would fuck #4 up in a spectacular fashion

and always remember, with legal walls too, location is everything.

you have a much better chance of convincing business owners in areas that are rampant with graffiti, or in an artsy part of town, etc., anyplace counter culture shit is more acceptable, than you are the downtown banks. additionally, if you have the city manager's ear, the real business is to convince them to give you an underpass that's off the beaten path (Clogged Caps 5 in San Antonio featured walls very near downtown but not that you'd necessarily happen upon without purpose, great location) or at least not part of the main city square and get them to let you have a small festival, get the art approved by them first (big must, CC5 walls were? or are going to be buffed due to disagreements about the content, keep it approveable, and only designs turned in before hand can paint, etc) charge heads to come see the night of, make it a whole shin dig.

• 2 weeks later...
the way i knew of it getting done:

step one (not necessary but helpful)

compile portfolio of a few GOOD walls you've done with people who will be painting with you, legals are best...jams are good for getting this shit done..

if you are worried about your identity, make the name you are painting legally something other than your graf name.

find wall smashed with shitty graffiti that is attached to a business

approach business inquiring about the identity of the owner, so that you may approach him/her/them with an offer about doing a mural on their wall to discourage graffiti

(or talk to city manager)

if you do not explain that you are trying to do a graf mural, they may well stop what you are doing while you are doing once they figure out what you are up to, so it is usually best to be upfront with them unless you paint really fast

great advice. like you said show him some of your work maybe some characters you've done that have great feel and emotion to them.... thats how it worked for me.