what are you reading?

yukier

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

goodie:

This classic text is the integration of the quantitative world view of physics and the traditional world views of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism, "holistic physics" if you will. An updated edition, the author has added a new afterword discussing new developments since the book's first publication and countering critiques of the book.

TaoPhy.gif

So, seeing as though I'm an ignorant bastard:

Do books like ^that make mention of math, science and numbers (you know, things that are usually considered a staple to physics) or is 'holistic physics' what happens when you get a bunch of people to sit down and think really, really hard about what forces are acting on the physical world over the span of a couple thousand years, and then have it all written down to be compiled and edited by some Eastern Guru motherfucker?

I'm just wondering.. when I think about 'holistic' medicine I think about people with heart disease going to those doctors in Tangier that pretend to heal by pulling your kidney through your skin and slapping you in the chin with a bucket of street salt - when really they just had some spare goat liver riding in the sleeve of their labcoat and felt like tapping you in the face for being a dumbfuck with too much money.

'Holistic' things graze me questionable.

that looks like the last book from the dark tower series to me.

I've read up to and including wolves of the calla, my brother currently has sussanna's song so I've been stuck there.

am I right? I'm right.

more or less... I was being more general than a specific book.

I'm at the very end of Wizard and Glass

more or less... I was being more general than a specific book.

I'm at the very end of Wizard and Glass

Did you hear about the Dark Tower comics that are written by King? I'm not sure, but the series MIGHT have been cancelled.

Also, thank you, 26 for expressing the same thing I was wondering.

in the last three weeks i finished-

hobo- about a young hobo's first three week freight hopping trip in 1993

Manchild In the Promise Land-killer book about growing up in harlem slums in the 40s and 50s

Slaughterhouse five- everybody reads vonnegut

the tatoo-killer book about hawaii slum life growing up

those were all well worth reading

just started-

broken spear-the aztec history of the conquest of mexico

last exit to brooklyn

Guest YEAHMANWORD
Several textbooks, comic books and Haunted by Chuck Pahluniuk (sp?).

i liked haunted.

I had read diary just before that so i was hoping for something a bit more gritty and haunted definitely came through.

goodie:

This classic text is the integration of the quantitative world view of physics and the traditional world views of Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism, "holistic physics" if you will. An updated edition, the author has added a new afterword discussing new developments since the book's first publication and countering critiques of the book.

TaoPhy.gif

word I am going to have to reread it then, i groundscored a old copy of it when i lived in olympia and read it.

ever check this out

chaos_book.gif

one of my all time favorates...

this is my 2222 post..

Oh, wait... I just realized that this is one of those idiotic threads that purports to extoll words but is really just pictures of dust jackets... so, anyway, I was saying that fans of Motherless Brooklyn might also enjoy:

9780060394417.jpg

Because it kicks freakin' ass.

4770030185.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60950539_.jpg

about a man's travels into a forest of tengu (japanese demons) that teach him the parallels of swordsmanship and life. more of a zen philosophy book than actual martial arts techniques.

0805063897.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

an upper middle class journalist tries to live the life of americas poor by taking on various minimum wage jobs thoughout america. walmart, waitress, hotel house keeping... not the greatest book but worth a quick read. basically the problem that she highlights is that the poor have difficulty with the high price of rent in cities without apartments. i bit depressing if you are presently working retail.

0679733787.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1089837617_.jpg

id also recommend anything by kobo abe. this being his most famous title. especially if you like japanese authors, books that are intriguing yet have not point, no hollywood ending, science fictionesque but the technology doesnt always work.. i like kangaroo notebook, secret rendevous, and ark sakura the best.

0060005661.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Someone gave this to me a few weeks ago. It's a decent read if you're interested in hearing a neurotic Long Island Jew's recount of hanging out with the beat writers in their twilight years. Sam Kashner takes the 'down to earth' approach to exposing his heroes for who they really are by scrapping all the mysticism, myth and hubris and showing the toll taken by success on a group of aging legends.

Dude's kind of a hater, but I like hearing stories about the beats.

Gregory Corso and William S. Burroughs were some bad motherfuckers.

i have just started slaughterhouse five.

it takes me forever to get through books though,

i only read during free moments and those are pretty sparce.

holler.

i liked slaughterhouse five...i actually met kurt vonnegut's cousin during the week. she's not too impressed with his books though and told me, "it figures, a lot of young kids like his books" after i told her i enjoyed reading vonnegut.