5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

Maybe your friend was a dick to him, I dunno...maybe the dude from Autechre was being a dick, I dunno.

Well this is the very reason I listen to the music I listen to as there are 'concept albums' and other things where the them is carried on throughout the entire album, and as such don't listen to anything at all that is on radio or otherwise.

I think he's talking about people who have enough talent and/or effort to have a coherent theme and message other than sex, drugs, and singles, not about concept albums.

I'd be willing to venture that I'd take tape-hiss over MP3-mids-earfucks, maybe in the long run.

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

a very obvious parallel would be subway graffiti of the 70's and 80's. i dont care how hard you bomb now, how many clean trains you do, it will never compare to seeing an entire system smashed, and know that you're living history in the making.

This is a really good way of putting it. I won't ever see an entire transit system and city make the first transition from being clean of graffiti to being covered in it. That's why when it comes down to it all we have are our recorded words that will tell everyone that comes after what happened.

i love op ivy but I want to murder ska kids and sak bands...what the fuck is that?

maybe i'm about to get too philosophical, but i think england fucked up ska in a lot of ways.

then in the u.s. they picked up on the british ska more than jamaican ska. and without the same kind of skinhead tradition, it was just too goofy and unfounded... but sounded like it made a lot more sense and meant more to people who included their other influences (i.e. punk, hip-hop, and reggae) like operation ivy, sublime (who i keep trying to hate because i hate most of their fans, but can't)... but still, there weren't a whole lot of 3rd wave bands that were worth a damn. because there were only a handful of two-tone bands that were worth a damn.

skinhead reggae > two-tone ska. that's the direction it should have gone. some of the skinheads in england popped too many pills and wanted their music too fast.

but i think categorizing "ska kids and ska bands" into one group is a little too simplified. i know a lot of skinheads and rudeboys that stick mostly to jamaican ska, rocksteady, and soul. it's just better.

listen to pat kelly.

are you thinking of racist skinheads?

skinheads originally listened to reggae.

it's kind of like this. in the late 50s/early 60s there was the mod culture in britain.. mostly consisted of being clean cut and stylish.. the more working class mods later became known as skinheads because they had to crop their hair short to prevent lice from working on docks and such... developed the style of boots and jeans because of their jobs also. the mods and their "northern soul" music were heavily influenced by american soul and r&b... meanwhile, in jamaica, ska was being developed because the jamaicans could hear new orleans r&b on their transistor radios. immigration from the west indies, particularly jamaica, was picking up quickly in england. having similar influences in american r&b, the working class kids who would have been mods started interacting with the jamaicans in jobs and working class neighborhoods and listening to jamaican ska and rocksteady.. this is another thing that separated the skinheads from the mods. then you started getting white rudeboys and black skinheads..

thus, you had skinhead reggae and two-tone ska. two-tone ska was named so because of the black and white of the suits they usually wore, and black and white, particularly the checkered print you'll see became symbolic of racial unity. skinhead reggae is slower and more like rocksteady, and two-tone is more fast-paced, i.e. the specials, selecter, etc... and aside from a couple bands is kind of annoying to me.

racist skinheads came about later, after skinheads started changing styles to oi! and punk... an anti-immigrant group, the National Front started adopting the skinhead look in an attempt to recruit skinheads at their shows and whatnot.

this is probably more eloquent than i am:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

You know that Bad Religion started Epitaph, right? They got signed by Epitaph because they ARE Epitaph. And there were "bourgeois" people who were at hardcore shows and in hardcore bands well before the 1990's.

Yeah, like I was wondering abit about this quote as anyone who has watched the Epitaph story on the Punk o rama dvd would know, that Brett from BR started Epitaph, and he hit the big $ when he sold Offspring to Sony.

I was lucky enough to meet BR in 97 (sans Brett) when they toured and the funny thing was that I was the only one in my city who had every one of their albums up to Tested at the signing they did. I still have my signed Against the Grain shirt in A1 condition though!

Fuck yeah, long live Bad Religion!!!

Maybe your friend was a dick to him, I dunno...maybe the dude from Autechre was being a dick, I dunno.

I think he's talking about people who have enough talent and/or effort to have a coherent theme and message other than sex, drugs, and singles, not about concept albums.

I'd be willing to venture that I'd take tape-hiss over MP3-mids-earfucks, maybe in the long run.

I was meaning to say that I listen to bands with talent, that even if you practiced every day for the rest of your life you couldn't play as good as them, and they obviously have the ability to pull off a concept album. I was refering to bands of my generation like Dream Theater, who in turn got their influences from bands like Rush, Pink Floyd etc, who are trying to push the musical envelope as opposed to staying within that radio friendly boundary you hear all the time with most current releases.

I dunno, this thread is really easy to stand on someones toes, that is all i know.:cool:

Seen Guns N Roses twice!

Seen Metallica twice!

just missed out on seeing slayer.. by a few days which was a bummer!

same goes with public enemy!

Gunners and Metallica probly one off the most memorable and best times ive ever have in my life!!!!

Oh and i found myself on youtube in the back of a gunners show!! Classic..

• 3 weeks later...
1. metallica

if you weren't already listening to metallica by 88, you missed the fucking boat and nothing i can say here will make you understand just what a fantastic ride it was. it fucking sucks that they keep trying to make music, because all they're really doing is jeopardizing their fans ability to seperate pre-black album metallica, from post-black album metallica. to look at them now, they're complete faggots who should be gay bashed for putting out the aural equivelent of 800 bears giving each other money shots, while having thumbs shoved up their asses and wearing chaps and rollerblades. seriously, they suck so fucking bad now, it's difficult to put into words. but even more difficult is to explain effectively that 20 years ago, they were as good then as they are bad now. they've seen the most dramatic fall from grace the music world has ever known. they're fucking pathetic now and they should be put to death for their crimes against their former selves. total fucking dickweeds. the end.

QUOTE]

so on point and so elegantly put.