5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest R@ndomH3ro

You know a band that really inspired me as a kid.....dont laugh

Skinny Puppy!

When I was in the junior high, I used to hang out with the "Metal" crowd but there where always these goth kids that would hang out too, also there was a hot goth girl. So in talking to her I was forced to listen to some of their weirdo "machine" type music.

Skinny Puppy was one of these bands; this group still today blows my mind. The sound, the vocals, everything about this band is amazing! The only way I can describe there sound is broken schizophrenic death machines in a post apocalyptic black abyss.

I saw this band twice before Dwayne Goettel died and they again blew my mind. I can never get tired of this band, and I am not a big Goth/Death/Cyber whatever dude. But this band always stays in the rotation, and continues to influence the Sneak and Creep machine

Zeit‧geist  [tsahyt-gahyst]–noun (German)

the spirit of the time; general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time.

Zeit·geist (tstgst, zt-) n.

The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation: “It's easy to see how a student... in the 1940's could imbibe such notions. The Zeitgeist encouraged Philosopher-Kings” (James Atlas).

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

my intent was not to shit on anyone or claim scene dominance, but just to point out the fact that those groups were great and it's unfortunate that there are not really any contemporary groups that are filling their shoes. no matter how much you like public enemy now, if you were at the shows back in the day, and felt the social presence of an entire arena of people all bent on smashing whitey, then you can't comprehend the feeling.

a very obvious parallel would be subway graffiti of the 70's and 80's. i dont care how hard you bomb now, how many clean trains you do, it will never compare to seeing an entire system smashed, and know that you're living history in the making.

Nah man, I wasn't pointing fingers at you or anyone else in here; I was just trying to ramble on about something that confused me and I think it got a little misconstrued (probably my own fault); you were talking about bands that influenced generations and I was talking about Glik0's comment.

I can't even start to argue about not being able to understand the initial 'social climate' if you weren't a part of it: that's a given. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think being a part of the initial shockwave makes a person's experience with music any more valuable one way or another - to say that the only way one can really appreciate something to the fulllest is if you were a part of the original rift is a little too 'the bottom line' for me to agree with, fiddeel me?

I think the reason it gets fucked up is that people are insecure and possesive over their memories - especially those of music (which can be a pretty sentimental thing for most people): When a kid born in the 80's starts telling an older dude how a band that was formed in the 60's shaped his life, that the older guy was there to see develop, he brushes it off on some 'you're just a kid, you couldn't possibly understand it the way I did' as if the kid's trying to lessen this guy's first-hand account of being there, when really the kid appreciates it just as much as the original guy - just wasn't lucky enough to share the bias of experience. Is that any reason to tell the kid he's living a sentimental lie?

That sounded mad flakey. It's early. Fuck it.

Sure the Beatles can be

a big musical influence for you, but if their entire collection was

finished before you even started listening to them, then you dont

have the same appreciation that a fan from the start would have.

To 'get to know' a group, yeah I agree completely. To appreciate? I dunno: more often than not it's the people who were there in the beginning that stop appreciating the music the fastest because, instead of taking an objective approach, they hold new albums to old record's standards and usually feel 'let down' when the group doesn't do the same thing on two consecutive records. That make any sense?

---

For the sake of blowing myself:

Of course all the history and social relevance behind it is infinitely respectable, but it'd be great if people could remove all the strings from music and come at it like cavement a little more often. I know I wish I could - I'm way too picky about fanbases and shit.

jokers just pissed that i didnt add autechre (who i saw live in 96) and marilyn manson.

Pissed? Nah, not pissed. Disgusted is more like it. Operation Ivy is one of those bands, like Green Day, who got all kinds of popular and I could never for the life of me figure out why. And the more I think about it... I'm not buying this thing called Skacore. That's about as interesting as Pop-Metal.

Autechre... yes, I do really like the lads. But this thread is about the five bands whom you really feel most of us may have missed.

Marilyn Manson... a bit of a doofus behind the microphone but entertaining. Well, at least in the Mechanical Animals days.

I guess if I had to say what five bands I felt most of you missed, I would pick ones that not only did I feel made an impact on the music culture in general... defined a genre so to spreak... but also who paved a path for those that followed. To me that says my life will never be the same because of those groups.

The Beatles

Kraftwerk

Black Sabbath

The Jam

The Stone Roses

Those come to mind immediately. Though I'm sure given some time to think it over I would replace one or two.

okay... here's another example of 'not-being-there-doesn't-matter'

when I was about 12, my mom's long-time boyfriend had a kid who was about 20.

This guy was my hero. He rode a motorbike, had all these great tunes, and treated me

like I wasn't some 12 year old tag along, but more like I was a cool guy who was still young.

anyway - he would make copies of albums that he had that he thought I would like.

He got the records when they were new, and I got cassette copies, but for me that

was just as good, because it was a sign of acceptance from an older, cooler person.

Who cares if I wasn't experienceing it first hand, I was getting the music from a source

that was a cooler than just buying the record myself. One christmas he got me a copy

of Black Flag's Wasted Again and I didn't have a record player so I couldn't listen to

it for years. Which was probably a good thing seing as my mom would have flipped.

yeah... I guess it doesn't matter where you get the music, just that the moment was real for you.

oh... and I think mp3s have killed a lot of that magic.

We used to get a casette tape and play it over and over, every song,

untill the tape got all crinkled and you had to splice it back together with tape.

That experience, as shitty as it sounds, could never be recreated with an iPod.

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

oh... and I think mp3s have killed a lot of that magic.

We used to get a casette tape and play it over and over, every song,

untill the tape got all crinkled and you had to splice it back together with tape.

That experience, as shitty as it sounds, could never be recreated with an iPod.

See, that's the same thing people said about records when tapes came out. And tapes when CD's came out. Today's kids have a completely different and much stronger impression (cause that's the way young minds absorb) than us of what interacting with an iPod is like, and will eventually compare future developments to it, and mostly be disappointed with how iPods were so much better.

See, that's the same thing people said about records when tapes came out. And tapes when CD's came out. Today's kids have a completely different and much stronger impression (cause that's the way young minds absorb) than us of what interacting with an iPod is like, and will eventually compare future developments to it, and mostly be disappointed with how iPods were so much better.

not really. but sortof.

I'm not saying that interacting with a shitty cassette player is better than interacting

with a digital mp3 player, because it's not, but the cassette (and 8track) is a linear

format where skipping around is much more difficult than with a record or an mp3.

A record could give you instant access to any part of that half of the album.

Flip it over and you have instant access to any part of the entire album. Now an ipod

will give you instant access to an entire collection of albums, so there's no incentive

to stay on a track you dont really like when you can skip to your favorites right away.

I think that putting up with the lesser tracks on a great album is essential to getting

the most of the artists vision. If you just skip to Billie Jean and then skip to Thriller

you'll miss so much of what make early Michael Jackson the 'king of pop'.

I read somewhere that the average iPod user has a base collection of 40 or so tracks

that get played 80% of the time. I understand that people want to hear what they like,

but very often you have to let a song 'grow on you' to really understand it.

Plus with the advent of iTunes, and p2p aswell, people have gone from buying albums

to buying singles, and I can't say that I think it's a good thing for music. If an artist

just has to have a hit single to successfull, then what's the incentive to make a full

album of great songs? I know every song on 'The Joshua Tree' but only know the

'vertigo' single. Most people are the same, and missing out on The Joshua Tree is no good.

whoa... I should get to work.

abracadabra, you seriously think you have a claim cause you heard public enemy in 1988. Totally man, the music is sooo different now from your 10 year old interpretation

btw I hadn't noticed you closed the melbourne thread. I live in Sydney, (as in the place where no one has heard of you, despite your hectic channel zero famee)

Saying it's "not good for music" is a very subjective thing. I grew up on albums as well, and I agree with what you say, but I don't see the shift towards singles as necessarily a bad thing for music. It's a bad thing for the album experience, that's for sure, but I think there's a bunch of new opportunities for what a single song could be, and that's good for music. I think a bunch of concepts that didn't work because of the mainstream album infrastructure can now be realized. Almost everyone is behind on this (Beck, for example, is an exception), all they're doing is putting out albums full of singles that have nothing to do with each other, and it's just stuffing square pegs in round holes.

I just feel that the experience we had with cassettes was very unique to us, and the experience people have when their first interaction with music is through an iPod will be very unique to them, and we can't possibly imagine what it's like because we have all these memories to compare it to. We had the album experience, they have the playlist experience. They're growing up in a singles-based culture that we simply can't relate or find equivalents to the artists that had such an influence on us in our album-based era.

all they're doing is putting out albums full of singles that have nothing to do with each other, and it's just stuffing square pegs in round holes.

Well this is the very reason I listen to the music I listen to as there are 'concept albums' and other things where the them is carried on throughout the entire album, and as such don't listen to anything at all that is on radio or otherwise.

...so there's no incentive to stay on a track you dont really like when you can skip to your favorites right away.

I understand that people want to hear what they like, but very often you have to let a song 'grow on you' to really understand it.

I'm 115% with you on this because I'm guilty of it... and it sucks.

i've thoroughly enjoyed music's packaging evolution

everytime they come out with something new, be it cassettes, CDs, MP3s, i have liked how the thing has expanded my ability to enjoy my own music, to seek out music i know but don't have, and to get new music.

i still am comfortable getting stuck on a track for three months and then leaving it alone for awhile, that is just how my brain processes my favorites.

i will force myself to listen to stuff i don't like right away though, that stuff sometimes gains a longer lasting favor than my instand gratifications

Zeit‧geist  [tsahyt-gahyst]–noun (German)

the spirit of the time; general trend of thought or feeling characteristic of a particular period of time.

Zeit·geist (tstgst, zt-) n.

The spirit of the time; the taste and outlook characteristic of a period or generation: “It's easy to see how a student... in the 1940's could imbibe such notions. The Zeitgeist encouraged Philosopher-Kings” (James Atlas).

this is the distinction i was drawing in my last post, but i deleted it before posting it. This is the difference between being there and individual experience and or being able to experience something after being awared or otherwise effected by the general understanding of the 'sprit' of a prior era.

luckily for me, i used to know her. I got to see hip-hop born, grow, develop a bad drug habbit and get all strung out and become almost useless... I hope i see it through a 12 step program and get back on her feet, but i doubt it. that pussy been beat the fuck up, cant see no more normal kids comingout that.

abracadabra, you seriously think you have a claim cause you heard public enemy in 1988. Totally man, the music is sooo different now from your 10 year old interpretation

btw I hadn't noticed you closed the melbourne thread. I live in Sydney, (as in the place where no one has heard of you, despite your hectic channel zero famee)

no, what i was saying was i started listening to music when groups like public enemy, bdp etc were at the top of their game, and young kids these days have people like ludacris and fall out boy to listen to.

haha, well, obviously you've heard of me. what's with the hard-on for me anyway? can you point out where it was that i hurt your feelings cos i honestly don't remember (but obviously it's still burning you up)

a friend of mine grew up with (one of?) the autechre guy(s) in england. after he got a bit of a name he saw my boy at a club and tried to play the "what's your name again, you look familiar" game. i hate people like that

To give them some credit, those dudes have been out and touring for over ten years and have played to crowds as big as Coachella and probably bigger, plus may or may not have done the drugs that tend to come with the turf and/or maybe your friend didn't know him quite as well as he says. I don't mean that to come out snotty or shitty but I wouldn't say it's a big deal or notable.

Cite influences or try to give background information to people who "weren't there", But my life has never changed for the worse when I hear people talk about how great Guns 'n Roses were. And if anything, they made the world a shittier place for a lot longer then they made it a better one, but that's just my opinion.

Some people define the death of punk with Bad Religion on Epitaph, some said when Green Day sold out. I think people were still holding their breath about Rancid at this time.

You know that Bad Religion started Epitaph, right? They got signed by Epitaph because they ARE Epitaph. And there were "bourgeois" people who were at hardcore shows and in hardcore bands well before the 1990's.

To give them some credit, those dudes have been out and touring for over ten years and have played to crowds as big as Coachella and probably bigger, plus may or may not have done the drugs that tend to come with the turf and/or maybe your friend didn't know him quite as well as he says.

no, this was at the beginning of their relative popularity and after having last spoken to the guy maybe a year or so earlier, it wasn't a case of 'i went to school with that guy when i was 7'. it's pretty easy to tell when someone's trying on the 'too cool for school' act, or when they generally don't remember you.