5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i couldn't put operation ivy on there without putting Bad Brains on there. same for Misfits.

i would also replace the public enemy with NWA, most defintely not because they were better, but just for influence and relevancy in my own arena..i was never a huge fan of public enemy

Guest R@ndomH3ro

I agree with Symbols, the Misfits have infulence a lot more bands then Op Ivy...

But if you want really influental bands you want:

Black Sabbith...with out them there would be no metal

The Beatles....need to say more

A Tribe Called Quest

i'm probably going to get e-stabbed in my cyber-face for saying so, but op ivy is some overrated bullshit. don't get me wrong, i was way into them when i was 15 but i couldn't bring myself to give tham a listen now. ska and punk? ewww.....

i'd be too scared that a black person might catch me listening to it.

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

knowing groups and experiencing groups is completely different..

so by 'experiencing' groups do you mean playing in them (which I think is the only way anyone ever has a right to feel entitled 'ownership' over any music) or do you mean by going to shows and shit? because it's sorta short-sighted to say that the only way music can really mean something to someone is if they were a part of a 'scene'.

Just for the sake of example: I'll bet B.B. King's records mean just as much to the poor kid in Antiqua who sat around listening to them day in and day out as they do the working-class kid in Manhattan who was able to catch his every performance - and I'll bet B.B. King doesn't feel that Alex Showgoer is any more entitled to his music than Juanny Fortyfive - so why are people other than the creators of the music always trying to take ownership over shit that wasn't theirs to begin with?

I'm not saying that's what you were saying, I'm just saying.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
knowing groups and experiencing groups is completely different.

Just like people know that some people paint graffiti on clean trains, doesnt mean that they know what its like to actually do it.

Dude don’t be an elitist. :nope:

I really hate that shit, scensters do that shit

"Oh I went to the Misfits Reunion tour and got my ass kicked by Danzig, that means I am a uberfan and so cool"

I experience music everyday buy listening to it. You don’t have to go to shows and shit to know music. Going to shows in my mind just means your in the "scene" and I say fuck a "scene" cause then you have to follow the scene rules to be "excepted"

Fuck that. I do what I want, if I want to listen to Black Metal in my Low-rider while wearing a cowboy hat I can do it! Cause I don’t give a fuck about scene labels, and I probably know more about the music then someone who "expericances" their music.

Props to 26 --- we are eye to eye

i'd considered putting the misfits on the list, but the misfits are a weird timeless sort of entity i think. they broke up so long ago, that i doubt a single person on this board ever saw them live. i know i didn't. that's never stopped me from putting them in my 'favorite bands of all times' catagories though. difference is that listening to them today and listening to them in 96, or even 86, is probably very similar.

there are other bands that are important, such as 3rd bass (who i'd also considered), but they were single bands, not bands who were almost cult like entities, taking on a signifigance much larger than themselves.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Blood and Honour??

Speaking of RAC what the hell happened? I wonder how it went from being fronted by the Anti-Nazi league and Anti-Fas to White Power bullshit. Is there still RAC bands that are not racist, I am so-o out of the skinhead music loop.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

What about 7 Seconds?? I know when I was growing up they where a big influental part in my life...and I think they also put a kick to hardcore

Dead Kennedys is a big YES, without them I think a lot of political punk would have been rare. Plus who doesnt love Jello??

Guest R@ndomH3ro
the last time i even SAW a skinhead was about a year ago so i dont really know. i'm not really involved with anything related to that anymore.

i'm pretty sure rac is just a racism thing now though...

We have a local skinhead chap around here, but last time I saw one they went from Trad Skinhead dress to wearing Basketball jerseys and dunks like its 90's hardcore.

:nope:

Kids today, forgetting its about the idea and not fashion :nope:

Sometimes I wish I was older so I could of been around to see some of the OBHC guys do all the funny stuff my cousin always talked about them doing. He was like one of the original members and stuff. But lots of drunken beatdowns and real Oakland Hard Core and what not. Sounds interesting.

But then he died from drugs :(.

listening to the misfits, fugazi, minor threat, bad brains, beasties, NWA, gnr, metallica was a big eye-openener for me when i was an 11 or 12 year old little girl, now i'm 30. so it's not the same for me.

i still have crazy appreciation for the stuff now, but it's less "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME STUFF GOTTA GET MORE"

and now more "HOLY SHIT I STILL LOVE THIS STUFF AND I WISH THEY STILL MADE IT LIKE THEY USED TO"

i have been playing the fuck out of clutch's blast tyrant lately though and i think it rules (new shit).

when i hear music i love, i love it more and more all the time, to a point of almost listening to it too much..then i usually have to back away for awhile and when i come back to it, it's like an old friend.