MOBY DICK

King Of Hell

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Yes, yes. Everything should be over simplified so that we never have to think, feel, or even have anything more than a boring base vocabulary.

Dude, thats not what I'm saying. I've read plenty a book that wasn't long winded and boring but still plenty intellegent and thought provoking.

I mean seriously, the explanations on how to whale?!? After reading that I could have bought a boat and started my own company. And picking

apart the psyche of every character was unnecessary and boring to me. Furthermore because he went on these tangents the story itself became

a subplot, andthat left me as bored as Ishmael must have felt traveling on the boat.

What I'm trying to say is the book was to crouded with unnecessary crap (probably b/c melville was paid by the word) for me to enjoy the story itself.

Well he wasn't paid by the word, but a good hint as to why it's so long winded on the how to whale thing is because it was one of the biggest industries in America at that time. Like huge. Also there was such a mystery behind it because of it's serious dangers and perils.

It was a look into one of the most dangerous occupations at that time. Kind of like that Deadliest Catch TV show, accapt they didnt have TV back then and peoples attention spans were alot greater than today.

Try to put it in context and historic perspective. Its not just about whaling, its a commentary on what was going on in that time period.

I grew up in New Bedford Massachusetts. The setting for that book. I grew up going to the whaling museum there, the church he wrote the book at, listening to all my relatives pass down old whaling, and fishing stories because I guess theres alot of history in the ports and peers in my family.

For a little while, the world had its eyes on whaling.

So many places that are no where near water, and there for the fascination for this particular occupation.

Gregory Peck gives a riveting portrayal of Captain Ahab, a man obsessed with hunting down the white whale, Moby Dick, who disfigured him years earlier. I haven't read the Herman Melville novel on which this film is based so I can't comment on it as as adaptation. Standing alone as a film however, it was very entertaining. Peck draws the viewer in and makes him believe in (and fear) his obsession. The audience instantly becomes familiar with the hard life and the hopes of Ahab and his men as they engage in the ageless confrontation between man and nature. The special effects are suprisingly good for the era in which they were created. Very good film, 8/10.

Directory: Moby Dick 1956 Classic Divx

http://isohunt.com/download/13238869/moby+dick