Sope One aka Billy Bronze

Con

um, last i heard sopes been gone almost a good half year? My boy mentioned something to me about it way back...maybe it was just a rumor or something, but i could have sworn its been awhile since he passed. And no disrespect, but as i remember it had to do with him fallin or a building situation...but that all may be sum crap who knows, it doesnt really matter, the point is, i dont think anyone banged as hard as that kid did...R.I.P. SOPE!....R.I.P Meyer..yall not forgotten..much respect.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest THE LAW

a little something written by a friend of sope's from burningamerica.com.

THE LAW hopes that no one will mind him posting it here.

Joseph William Schipf III

Aka Billy Bronze, aka SopeOne, known to his friends as Bill. The Guilty Grinner I think would be fitting. Bill always had a mischievous grin on his face and when he entered a room or greeted you it always tipped you off that he's gotten away with something and you don't know what. It was always innocent, Bill's way of keeping you guessing. Bill was a quick witted fellow and a fast talker. He was always the first one to call bullshit on you if he detected something slightly false, and he would do so before you even finished your story.

He would not disguise his dislike for individuals that annoyed him. Bill was very honest in his assessment of others. Most of us know that Bill had a love for making light of the dark side. What I mean is his constant references to Pain, Hell, and the Underworld. Examples can be seen in the captions of his artwork. "The prime minister of pain" and "Conductor of the torture train" the best example was IHU. I HATE YOU were the words Bill formed to name his crew, a symbol for his closest friends in mischief. Of course IHU was not literal, it loosely means, me and my friends are annoyed with all of you please go away now. I know if Bill was present to hear that he would cut me off and say with a big grin "No, that means I Hate You". I think most of Bill's references to these dark subjects were playful and should not be looked on as clues to any misfortune he may have had. I know that Bill's various witty dark quotes including words like pain and hell, were meant to be perceived as him on the giving end not the receiving end. This is an important factor when reviewing Bill's works.

Bill was also a teacher, producing some of the most talented graffiti artists known to the scene. His Philadelphia inspired handwriting style influenced many of San Francisco's most prolific writers. Bill had an artistic style that was all his own and still is. He was at the forefront of San Francisco's vacant lot piecing race with his closest friend Doug Felon. Most of the examples of Bill's city artworks are gone now along with the lots they were in. But there are some still to be found. I know for a fact there is plenty of freight trains with Bill's work rolling all over North America including Canada. I had the honor of accompanying him on most of these missions. The name SopeOne IHU will be carried on as long as his crew members are alive. That is an understatement at best.

Most people that knew Bill remember him as being a very private person, he did not offer details of his activities to anyone. Even to his friends he kept most of what he was up to, all to himself. There is no shame in that, and I personally respect his feelings about privacy. I remember how embarrassed he was when we threw him a surprise birthday party. It was awesome rattling him a little with that. It's hard to imagine anyone not being instantly taken by Bill's outgoing character. He had several of his own animated qualities that his friends and family will remember and carry on forever.

Rest in Peace my friend, You will be missed.

-Jase

DAMIT ANOTHER LOSS FOR OUR COMUNITEE.. I NEVER KNEW THA MAN BUT MY BOY MASEO PAINTED WITH HIM I BELIEVE UP IN FRISCO.. LETS ALL KEEP THE MOVEMENT ALIVE.. ITS ONLY RIGHT WE ROCK EVEN TUFFER FOR HIM AND THE REST THAT HAVE FALLEN BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.. RIP SOPE....:king: CALI SALUTES YOU...........

Guest THE LAW

allowishus...thank you for the photos. THE LAW hadn't seen most of those before...

SOPE made a big impact on both the DC and SF scenes in the mid 90's...his work always had soul and wit and a certain amount of mystery to it. it inspired the young LAW to take a more active interest in the graffiti.

again, check out the hand on that yellow throwup....so cool.

Archived