question for the tattoo artists

Zack Morris

I was putting lotion on my ink today when I thaught of this...why is it that I am instructed by my artist to use a non scented lotion?...is it because of reactions of the lotion with the ink or will it just sting if I use the scented lotions?...I still use the un-scented lotion(curel with the green top) but I just want to know why.

zack morris is rambling on

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Go to your local drug store or supermarket and buy some Preparation-H... I swear to you it'll work wonders. Healing time is super fast and that burning stingy new tattoo feeling goes away instantly... Imagine that.

Anyone I know with fresh ink swears by this. The adventure begins when you go up to that cute cashier with a tube of this stuff.

Originally posted by Zack Morris

I was putting lotion on my ink today when I thaught of this...why is it that I am instructed by my artist to use a non scented lotion?...is it because of reactions of the lotion with the ink or will it just sting if I use the scented lotions?...I still use the un-scented lotion(curel with the green top) but I just want to know why.

zack morris is rambling on

alright, first off, the main reason not to use a lotion which contains dies or perfumes is because they can cause irritation to the skin. and skin irritation can lead to infection, which in turn can lead to a fucked up tattoo, which might cause ink to fall out. u have an open wound there and u want it to heal properly. dies and lotions can also. sometimes, cause it to sting a little more. secondly, dont listen to these people. A/D, and fuckin petroleum products for that matter, should not be used in the healing process of tattoos. yes, some people say it works. sometimes it does, but sometimes it becomes your enemy, and ill tell u why. u should not use a petroleum based product because, first, petroluem products can suffocate a fresh tattoo that is healing. so many times a tattoo doesn't even need to be covered with anything for it to heal. but thats not all cases. second, when u put petroleum on your arm, being most people just glod it on there, it just becomes a trap for bacteria. and think about this, petroleum is one of the most basic food sources on the planet, thus youre just creating a feeding ground for bacteria, and im sure u dont want that. now do ya?. also a lot of people will use a petroleum based product and then theyll have some piece of clothing toughing it, bad idea. that also is just asking for an infection. and never recover a tattoo. like when they'll cover the tattoo right after its been worked on. its not necessary to recover it, yet another bad move.

now heres the care instructions we give out customers here. and the simplest care instructions can work the best.

1. wash your new tattoo gently one hour after completion with hot soap and water. use a good antibacterial soap that has no dies or perfumes in it (liquid dial, provon, etc). be gentle. just work up a nice lather and use your finger tips to work it in. by washing with nice hot water it will bring the blood to the surface and will cause a tattoo to scab up less.

2. wash your tattoo two or three times daily. try not to over wash!! there are a number of people ive met who have had problems with this. overwashing does keep the tattoo cleaner, it just causes irritation.

3. use an alchohal free lotion like provon to lightly moisturize when the tattoo feels tight and dry. some people wont need to use lotion for a few days after the tattoo was worked on, while others wont even need to use lotion at all. a lot of smaller tattoos especially heal well by doing nothing to them other than just cleaning them once or twice a day. but if u do need to use lotion, just use a very light layer, dont over do it. if u put too much lotion on the tattoo it, like the petroleum products, becomes a way for bacteria to get trapped in the tattoo.

4. your tattoo should be completely healed within 3 weeks.

warnings:

1. never pick at your healing tattoo. early removal of dead skin may result in loss of color.

2. be careful not to over expose your tattoo to water or moisture. over exposure to wetness will result in irritation, loss of color, and even infection. for the first few weeks u shouldnt take baths, u dont want to submerge your tattoo for long period of time. stick for showers.

3. avoid contact with unclean surfaces like animal hair, furniture, unclean bed sheets, and other like surfaces.

i hope this can help ya in some way. if not, then i feel like total schmuck for typin all of this. maybe itll help some other person.

i am a fan of healing real real quick,

basically i wash alot, and use saran wrap.

right when you get home burn it in in the hottest shower possible, i have no faded colors because of this method and i have had some work for about 7 yrs.

then wash it with dial, or any anti bacterial simple soap, dont use dove or something like that use something with triclosan in it, or if you arent a fan of animal testing get your self any form of tea tree oil soap it is a natural antiseptic, dr bronners has a eucalyptus castile soap which is pure as shit and the eucalyptus mint is antiseptic.

after your shower cover your new ink with a really lite layer of bacitracin (for the first day or so, eucerin or lubriderm works well after that, i am a fan of burts bees comfrey salve tho) then put on some saran wrap. remember to take the saran wrap off about every four to eight hours, and repeat the cleaning other wise youll do more bad than good after you clean let it breathe without wrapping, than wash it and wrap it. i swear youll heal in about 3 days through secondary (the scabby shiny heal) and youll be really happy with how little ink falls out.

Originally posted by boxcarwilly

i am a fan of healing real real quick,

basically i wash alot, and use saran wrap.

right when you get home burn it in in the hottest shower possible, i have no faded colors because of this method and i have had some work for about 7 yrs.

then wash it with dial, or any anti bacterial simple soap, dont use dove or something like that use something with triclosan in it, or if you arent a fan of animal testing get your self any form of tea tree oil soap it is a natural antiseptic, dr bronners has a eucalyptus castile soap which is pure as shit and the eucalyptus mint is antiseptic.

after your shower cover your new ink with a really lite layer of bacitracin (for the first day or so, eucerin or lubriderm works well after that, i am a fan of burts bees comfrey salve tho) then put on some saran wrap. remember to take the saran wrap off about every four to eight hours, and repeat the cleaning other wise youll do more bad than good after you clean let it breathe without wrapping, than wash it and wrap it. i swear youll heal in about 3 days through secondary (the scabby shiny heal) and youll be really happy with how little ink falls out.

ok, heres the deal. never use saran wrap after the initial first time its put on right after the tattoo was done. if it were dont at all. all saran wrap will do is suffocate the tattoo. u want it to breathe. and like i said before, it just becomes a fuckin bacteria trap if u wrap it again. if u put lotion or some other moisrurizer on the tattoo and then wrap it up then none of it will evaporate. thats yet another reason to not use petroleum products, because they dont evaporate at all. thats why lotions works well. trust me on this. ive seen enough people to know what works for people right now. this guy might not have had any real problems with his technique, but others might. so the simplest care can work the best.

and remember, do not saran wrap a second time!!!!

except for showers i totally havent been washing my new tattoo....oops...i'll have to remember to when i get color....i was definately told not to wrap my tattoo, not to even put on too much lotion/bacitracin because of breathing.. whatever works for you though.

is it done healing when the itching stops?

i know from a medical background that if you come into the hospital after falling off of your motorcycle and getting road rash like a bastard they will give you the same instructions. i did say to air out the tattoo. i was taught this method not only by people who have a ton of ink and give ink to people... but also through trying so many methods, this one is the most comfortable because you dont lose ink you do need to let it breathe and wash it alot.

if you can afford it get the 3m fake skin it breathes but does the same thing. then you dont need to air it out.

i should have also said everyone heals different i dry healed my leg sleeve and hated my life, i lotion healed one arm and still hated life, and then the "wet" heal came and i fell in love with it. you know your own body do what you have to do.

Guest Handjob

Scented lotions irritate your skin. Try to find a lotion called Dermassage, its the fastest for healing. When healing is done, use Vaseline Intensive Care, it brings out the colours well...

tattooing is my profession. i am not some scratcher i work at a well respected custom shop. we advise our clients to do this:

DO NOT USE BACITRACIN, A&D OINTMENT or any ointment for that matter. that is a huge misconception. the best is either the tattoo goo, neosporin cream, or plain aloe with vitamin e. ointment does not allow the skin to breath and is not an effective way to heal tattoos. i know people are saying otherwise in this thread but they are completely wrong. and all of you who have tats who healed well using bacitracin, are you the whitest of whiteboys? i thought so.

don't scrub the tattoo at all, ever. it makes no difference what soap you use as long as it isn't really strong deoderant soap. just pat it with water gently and pat it dry. don't wash it more than once in a day.

take the bandage off 2 hours after the tattoo is finished. leaving on longer is actually going to promote infections. if anyone wraps your tattoo in plastic wrap, then they are fucking up and take that shit off as soon as you leave the shop. tattoos should never ever be wrapped in plastic. SARAN RAP IS A BREEDING GROUND FOR INFECTIOOUS BACTERIA.

basically the best way to heal a tattoo is to leave it the fuck alone and don't do anything stupid like go in a pool or pick the scab while it's healing. everyone's a god damn expert.

mine are always wrapped in saran wrap. ive never had a problem with them. and if i get work done late in the day i sleep with the wrap on and remove it in the morning. my buddy has tattooed tons of us and weve never had problems with how he wraps us up. im sure all shops have there own idea as to what works the best and think anyother way is totally wrong, but this has been working fine for me and everyone else i know.

any shop that is plastic wrapping your tattoos doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. anyone who says it's ok to plastic wrap your tattoos doesn't know what in the fuck they're talking about. it's not a matter of each shop does things it's own way. there's a right way, and a wrong way. any licensed tattooist should have taken a bloodborne pathogens class, and any bloodborne pathogens class will tell you how stupid it is to use saran wrap for a bandage. artists who are doing this are jeopordizing your safety and the quality of their work. i'm not going to argue this point, becuase there is nothing to argue. i am telling the truth, which i've learned from experience in the business, and everyone who's saying otherwise is absolutely fucking wrong. i care too much about tattooing to let people spread misinformation. i'm tired of people who don't bother to learn the facts acting like they know what they're talking about. i see at least 2 or 3 horribly fucked up tattoos every week which need to be fixed or covered all together, and sometimes they're wrecked because people are practicing some of the myths being spread in this post. so until you have to deal with that and until you're speaking from experience, keep your fucking mouth shut and stop giving people the wrong advice.

Archived