SMITH on CBS

Weapon X

I watched the series premiere last night and really emjoyed it.

It's a far better heist show than any others that have come and gone.

The cast is pretty good, too. It includes Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, and Amy Smart.

By Bill Keveney, USA TODAY

The show:Smith

The premiere: Sept. 19 (10 p.m. ET/PT), CBS

The concept: The leader of a theft ring tries to stay ahead of the law while keeping loved ones from discovering his secret life.

The challenge: Making viewers care enough about criminals to watch regularly.

MORALS GROW AMBIGUOUS: Harder to tell good from bad

Less-than-sympathetic lead characters have been a staple of film, theater and literature, where audience engagement is required only for a fixed, limited time.

But they have been a rarer occurrence on television, which asks viewers to bond for scores of episodes over a number of years. That challenge faces Smith, a new drama that centers on a skilled thief, his crew and their elaborate heists.

Executive producer John Wells hopes other parts of the criminals' personalities will strike a chord with viewers. The thief, Bobby Stevens (Ray Liotta), and wife Hope (Virginia Madsen), who isn't part of the crew but has her own shady past, have some decent traits. They love their kids and have a normal-looking family life that Bobby keeps apart from his criminal activities.

"I hope (viewers) identify with them, develop some sympathy for them and, by the end of the year, hope they get caught," Wells says.

Bobby wants to avoid violence, and is troubled when a Pittsburgh art museum heist results in death. That separates him from Jeff (Simon Baker), a colleague who kills without conscience, Liotta says.

Bobby, who gets his assignments from the mysterious Charlie (Shohreh Aghdashloo), is "hopefully the guy you follow (because) he has enough likability," says Liotta, who played a charismatic crook in Goodfellas. "It's kind of like on Goodfellas or any movie about people who do things against the law. You don't necessarily root for them (but) people are intrigued by it."

The criminal crew, which features characters played by Jonny Lee Miller, Amy Smart and Franky G, will commit a few crimes during the season. Wells says he hopes to shoot jobs in Montreal, Salt Lake City and Miami.The thieves will pay a price. "Not everybody will survive the first season," he says.

Although viewers presumably aren't stealing Picassos, Madsen says they may see something familiar: a sharp divergence between their occupations and home lives.

"I kind of live that way. I live in suburbia. I take kids to school. I make kids dinner at night. But I'm a movie star, so there's a real contradiction in my life," she says. "So I thought I had that in common with (Hope). I'm not on parole, though."

Posted 8/16/2006 9:36 PM ET

You guys should watch this. I'm sick of you American television viewers and your shitty taste. Make this show survive!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: THIEF on CBS

Weapon needs some Anti-Depressants

No, no, I'm just having a bad day because my knuckles are all cut up because the mirror was looking at me funny and made me sick to my stomach.

Thanks to whichever mod changed the name. I hope at least some of you caught the American premiere on CBS tonight.

Oh, come on, man!

Here in Toronto, the cable subscribers get the Buffalo CBS, NBC, FOX, and ABC.

I get the Boston versions, which is cool when ther BoSox are in the playoffs.

haha yes red sox nation is everywhere....

• 3 weeks later...