ok, so you all know i think banksy is a dickhead....

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"TWENTY BILLION PEOPLE LIVE BELOW THE POVERTY LINE."

That's right, Banksy knows better than anyone, all of the living eight, and twelve billion more invisible people all live under the poverty line.

do you think this could be sarcastic? hmmmmm...

he put put paintings in art galleries to see who would believe those were real paintings. possibly he put"facts" up to see who thought they;re real and vise versa.

and ABC, was you coming to LA in anyway based around this show??

orly?

TWENTY[/color] BILLION PEOPLE LIVE BELOW THE POVERTY LINE."

That's right, Banksy knows better than anyone, all of the living eight, and twelve billion more invisible people all live under the poverty line.

The dot point above used a decimal, did you not stop to think another decimal point may have been used and its not clear in this photo.

ACAB; I think you make some good points, but in regards to the 'Smash the system' example.. Man that slogan has been used by Punks, Skaters, Writers etc for easily as long as I have been alive. I dont think this is the most convincing part of your argument.

No, ABC has a point. To a point. (I'm gonna get all artfag up in here for a minute...yeah, I can do it. Just watch.)

I think TWIST is probably one of the more influential (read: copied) artists of our genre. But, having met the man, I can safely say that it doesn't bother him...if anything, it probably amuses him, because he knows that everybody else can look at something that is "derivative" of his work and know EXACTLY who's being referenced.

Not only that, but I know several writers that got off to a really good start thanks to his advice. He simply gave them some pointers, and they took it from there. I wasn't one of them, but if you grew up in SF in the 90's, it was hard NOT to be influenced by crews like THR.

BUT.........

I think Banksy should stick to stencils,because every time he does something like graffiti, I feel embarrassed for him....he's just not very good at it, and when he (BIG QUOTATIONS) "references" a work that has been heavily publicized by one of

the most heavily publicized artists in graffiti...let's just say that getting solo shows on the backs of people who AREN'T playing games with mass culture and have actually paid their dues is not going to get him very far.

Actually, as a result of the above photos, I have offically quit writing graffiti as of tonight, and for the next hour will be busy filling up LENS' trunk with all my supplies, sketchbooks, paintings, and artbooks because I am offically disgusted with "street art" and have decided to take up performance art.

FUCK YOU, BANKSY. EVEN THOUGH I'M A QUITTER, I'M STILL BETTER THAN YOU, AND I NEVER HAD TO RIP ANYBODY OFF TO GET THERE.

TWENTY[/color] BILLION PEOPLE LIVE BELOW THE POVERTY LINE."

it's obvious he was purposely throwing a false statistic out there... a lot of his stuff is tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic

The dot point above used a decimal, did you not stop to think another decimal point may have been used and its not clear in this photo.

ACAB; I think you make some good points, but in regards to the 'Smash the system' example.. Man that slogan has been used by Punks, Skaters, Writers etc for easily as long as I have been alive. I dont think this is the most convincing part of your argument.

there's no dot point in the 20 - there's not enough room between the numbers.

i'm not trying to say twist invented it. i wasn't born yesterday. it just sparked my interest due to how recently twist was using those elements as part of his own shows, that's all. the broken down van and the smash the system (and in drippy orange paint, as well) in the same show? if it was one or the other i probably wouldn't have thought twice, but those two things i thought, were a bit much to ignore

it's obvious he was purposely throwing a false statistic out there... a lot of his stuff is tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic

No, his little tongue and cheek part is saved for his punchline "Anyone want a glass of wine?" You've gotta build up for that bit if you expect a chuckle, so you don't want to spill any tongue and cheek elsewhere beforehand. Don't get me wrong either, I don't hate on other artists. As many artists are doing stupid shit, stealing the lime light, (and I'm sure none of you kids have seen my shit) I still get mine. Stupidity, yeah, I'll point that shit out like it's the forecoming of the apocalypse.

The dude's an idiot savant. Anyone could've told you that before this.

No, his little tongue and cheek part is saved for his punchline "Anyone want a glass of wine?" You've gotta build up for that bit if you expect a chuckle, so you don't want to spill any tongue and cheek elsewhere beforehand. Don't get me wrong either, I don't hate on other artists. As many artists are doing stupid shit, stealing the lime light, (and I'm sure none of you kids have seen my shit) I still get mine. Stupidity, yeah, I'll point that shit out like it's the forecoming of the apocalypse.

The dude's an idiot savant. Anyone could've told you that before this.

he knows the world population ain't 20 billion. he was tongue in cheek in a the line before the glass of wine part about the "moron artists" (talking about himself). i can't believe you think he was dead serious

No, you nailed it right on the head, ABC.

What's funny is that my cousin went to his show in LA and was really impressed by it.

What's even funnier (and ironic) is that her brother was trying to convince me to move back to LA to get my so-called "art career" established there.

I'd rather stay in Oakland and starve than sell out. I'm not an artist...artists have messages, and all I can say is that I do what I do because it makes me happy. That's it, there's your deep, hidden meaning. Utter self-gratification.

It's probably not much different than what motivates 99.99999% of the rest of you to pick up a pen and write the same thing over and over and over till you get good at it...the trap is when you start wondering if it actually has a purpose beyond that.

Not that I mind that people want to use graff or street art or whatever you want to call it as a medium for communication...but, for God's sake, do me a favor and spare me the civics lesson.

I guess I'm pissed off because I'm pretty sure TWIST doesn't think about the deeper meaning behind "SMASH THE STATE" when he writes it...if anything, it's probably the first thing that popped into his head at the time.

No, you nailed it right on the head, ABC.

What's funny is that my cousin went to his show in LA and was really impressed by it.

What's even funnier (and ironic) is that her brother was trying to convince me to move back to LA to get my so-called "art career" established there.

I'd rather stay in Oakland and starve than sell out. I'm not an artist...artists have messages, and all I can say is that I do what I do because it makes me happy. That's it, there's your deep, hidden meaning. Utter self-gratification.

It's probably not much different than what motivates 99.99999% of the rest of you to pick up a pen and write the same thing over and over and over till you get good at it...the trap is when you start wondering if it actually has a purpose beyond that.

Not that I mind that people want to use graff or street art or whatever you want to call it as a medium for communication...but, for God's sake, do me a favor and spare me the civics lesson.

I guess I'm pissed off because I'm pretty sure TWIST doesn't think about the deeper meaning behind "SMASH THE STATE" when he writes it...if anything, it's probably the first thing that popped into his head at the time.

I'd rather starve then just make myself happy with art, gotta say. I don't see having a purpose as a trap.

I should clear something up here...I think I may have been taken out of context.

I get more out of the PROCESS of creativity than I do the finished product or the concept behind it. I like to think that art is only sacred during the act of creation...once it's finished it's just another object...but, people seem to want to assign some meaning or value to some of the things I create. That works for me, sometimes I get paid for what I do...but, that's not my goal.

Nor do I mind if people want to market their creativity...that's their decision, and maybe their motivation. Who knows? I just see Banksy as another street artist...he just happened to be in the right place at the right time in the right market.

But, come on. At this point, he's not even trying to HIDE the fact that he's in it for the money. Therefore, I have my doubts about his integrity, and the message behind his work.

Banksy doesn't give me as much headache as all street art knowitalls with opinions about "tagging" and "taggers."

However, I can relate to everything that abc had to say about the guy's work.

It's specially the super-witty theories and exhibitions that piss me off in both banksy and his followers.

Their united public space rebellion art message makes me go

O RLY?

But, come on. At this point, he's not even trying to HIDE the fact that he's in it for the money. Therefore, I have my doubts about his integrity, and the message behind his work.

He tends to dodge his critics by "not giving a fuck".

whenever someone questions his integrity he can just claim that he' was just bullshitting and ppl will be all over his dick for it

"Banxy pwned us all again!!!1 omg he's a genius i never saw that coming."

just like being a general asshole and whenever people get angry, tell em you were joking.