ok, so you all know i think banksy is a dickhead....

Abracadabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like I went as far with graff as I needed to, and keep it in perspective at this point.

As far as how it fits into my work, it's just another facet of what I do. It's also allowed me to get some of my other work out there, as well.

But I never considered myself as a graffiti writer, or an artist. I haven't figured out exactly which direction I want to go in, but I do know that I don't want to be put into a category and have to live up to other people's expectations.

fuck bansky every time i meet someone who doesnt know shit about graff theyre like "i dont like that tag scribble stuff, have you ever heard of bansky? hes actually got a message!"

fuckin retarded, and that shit with the trucks,tvs,that white room, and even the concept of having dummies in there is either a rediculous bite or an insult to twist or both i guess. GAY

hey i will agree most of his art is shit, but he does do some nice stuff when he isn't trying to sell it for lots of money..

wait he is trying to sell it all for lots of money isnt he...

never mind

Yeah, and he sucks at graffiti. Stencils have their place in the street art lexicon, and if you want to call it bombing, be my guest. One of the things I respect about Shepard Fairey is that he distances himself from graffiti...he doesn't claim to be doing graffiti, he went to RISD and has a very clear idea about what he's doing and why he does it. He's not trying to blur the line between the street art movement and graffiti- you can knock what he's doing, but at least he's honest about it and doesn't misrepresent it in any way.

Banksy is trying to be all things to a broad audience, but if I were him I'd be getting down with some people from the UK with talent and collaborating with them, or at lest giving them some credit for where he is today.

I honestly didn't give this any thought until ABC pointed it out. The reason it's got me heated is because I know people who have far more talent that ren't getting half the recognition they deserve, and this guy's laughing all the way to the bank.

Shepard Fairey, although he doesn't consider himself a graff writer in the classical sense, he definitely doesn't "distance" himself from graffiti. He has stated in interviews that his stuff on the street is graffiti. He was even apart of that "Marc Ecko's Getting Up" graffiti game. He often refers to him putting up posters/stickers/stencils as "bombing." He has done designs with graffiti in it (which I think were done by Twist or someone else).

Interesting tidbit; I was at his show on Saturday night and some guy came up to him with a blackbook and a marker and asked him to hit up his blackbook. He hesitated for a moment, then said "I'm not really a graff writer I'm more of a graphic designer" or something like that. And then he slapped a sticker on his blackbook instead, and then signed his name.

Here's the video where he considers what he does as being "graffiti" (about 41 seconds into the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Asl6XfsXrw

But are they doing enough to get that recognition? Whatever your stance on Banksy is, he's getting his work out there by whatever means it takes and people are taking notice, whether it's deserved or not. Maybe these other guys have to step up their shit, they stood around while a lesser talent scooped up the headlines.

Yeah I agree, fame isn't completely based on "talent." Some dudes are just hungrier for the fame. And because of that, their fame is well-deserved. I don't think Shepard Fairey is the greatest artist in the game. But he's probably more famous than most people with more artistic talent than him. I've seen some amazing stuff that would blow Fairey's shit away artistically. But they don't have the same drive and work-ethic and dedication that Fairey does.

Yeah, and he sucks at graffiti. QUOTE]

I've seen his bombs and pieces, and they look just as good as any other top bomber/writer.

Okay. I'm skeptical, but if you can produce a few examples I'd be happy to retract that statement.

I should add that I am a rather harsh critic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah I agree, fame isn't completely based on "talent." Some dudes are just hungrier for the fame. And because of that, their fame is well-deserved. I don't think Shepard Fairey is the greatest artist in the game. But he's probably more famous than most people with more artistic talent than him. I've seen some amazing stuff that would blow Fairey's shit away artistically. But they don't have the same drive and work-ethic and dedication that Fairey does.

However, I completely agree with you on this one.

It's great when I see my friends apply the same effort to getting ahead in more legit areas of creativity as they do (or did) to graff.

Unfortunately, a lot of them smoke weed, and that's a big hindrance in my opinion.

Okay. I'm skeptical, but if you can produce a few examples I'd be happy to retract that statement.

I should add that I am a rather harsh critic. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

well i don't have any offhand, what i saw was in a couple books.

but here is a flick i took at the show:

244312841_d6c5737b75.jpg

well i don't have any offhand, what i saw was in a couple books.

but here is a flick i took at the show:

244312841_d6c5737b75.jpg

ILB is right, but that is better than anything else I've seen of his.

It's not groundbreaking or earth-shattering, but definitely an improvement.

I saw that boat.

That's what I was thinking of when I said I didn't think he could paint.

I like the way he incorporated the stencils into the letters. Or is it the other way around?

I don't know...on a canvas, it's an interesting concept. He should be doing that on the street, though.