Watches (timepieces that go on the wrist)

Weapon X

For years i was tattooing in a really rich tourist area of LA so i got to see a lot of interesting watches. Used to be a cat who had the Richard Mille with the skull. Hate their watches but I still cool to see...

current rotation...

1952 oyster perpetual. Fucking love this thing. This was the watch that made me stoked on watches. That subtle texture in the dial... owning that lead me to the Tudor, which has the same texture. I thought of it as an updated progression. Seamaster is from 1962/3. Picked it up just cause I got a crazy deal on it. I’ve got several other random vintage pieces, but I don’t have pics on me, so....later. They’re nothing super special, but they’re cool. Oh, Ive also got one of those sheik of fifty five fathoms, although I ripped it all apart and recased it cause I hated how bubbly the original case and bezel were. 

Cool story, bro. 

ADEAE57D-C381-4BC4-9B78-1999360F499A.jpeg

F2AC18A5-C9F8-40C0-9FFE-B4447B8E46D4.jpeg

A679288C-3F56-40BA-8871-A7EC57B8B9D1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Horology, yes this is a nice topic.   Honestly, I think it really doesn't matter what timepiece you want to wear, if you like it and it fits your lifestyle then wear it.  

However, I think there is a price point to where one should understand the history of watch making that will guide them towards the perfect match for budget.  For example, most people will jump all over a Rolex just because it equates to success (or at least appears that way), but most people who own a Rolex never heard of Louis Moinet.   I will own a Mechanograph.

Click this link to learn who he was  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Moinet

Anyhow, there are plenty of places to purchase genuine or reps with the same movement as the gens however, it may not be highly modified by the OEM but is still the same movement.  For gens check out paneristi.com if your into Panerai or if you are looking for a good rep check out rwg.cc   for preowned gens at resonable prices then check out chrono24.com

Tissot makes one of the best time pieces ever made and the Horology community will agree.  If you want a COSC chronometer the the Tissot Le Locle which comes in various finishes and straps  https://us.tissotshop.com/tissot-le-locle-automatic-cosc-2.html    more about this movement found here #4b00c43535d7 https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackforster/2012/06/18/the-tissot-le-locle-chronometer-edition-the-worlds-most-interesting-watch/#4b00c43535d7

I personally think anything Grand Seiko is worth having.  

Anyhow, here is my PAM372

20171220_155800.jpg

Glad there is some engagement here @seeking @ndv. Here is my 50th anny seamaster gmt 'great white'. Some folk think the helium excape valve is an essential part of the seamaster but this one not having it is a huge plus for me. 

_20190706_221629.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

how you go from rocking a Omega to a Seiko...  i always felt people who cosign Seiko, among others,  are just those who don't have the wallet to buy a real watch, that or have no taste.  even if you don't have a ton of money to spend there are always nice used bangers on eBay... 

I live in San Diego and wanted a watch for the beach. The seamaster can handle but always catch myself checking my wrist and I get annoyed by sand in the clasp. This can be my beach and pool beater.   Your opinion the same for Grand Seiko? @IHATEU

edit- and he sold it to me for a price I couldn’t refuse so there’s that. He’s clearing space for another sub

Yo, that ndv post read like some sort of bot trying to sell me a watch. How the fuck you gonna bag on people buying a Rolex without knowing Louis Moinet? Motherfucker been dead 200 years. He didn’t invent the watch. If you wanna name drop something quasi relevant atleast go gentry or Biver. Then we can discuss him putting on that fucking douche Alec monopoly. 

I really really really want to like seiko, I’m just not Japanese enough. I have tons of respect for the company, and i “almost” buy their watches all the time.... but i just can’t do it. I do want the watch from apocalypse now. And a poge. Actually, a few of their older watches are cool, but meh.... I just can’t. 

grand seiko I could fuck with if I had the money, but I’d have to have a lot of money. Or have it be vintage. I hate that I’m being a label whore but atleast in an honest whore. 

killz,  ha, you’re gonna get sand in any kind of clasp. Although I suppose I do have a rubber diving strap I throw on the Tudor if I know I’m gonna be at the beach a lot, so I suppose I get it. 

• Like 1

Oh, I just remembered what I was really annoyed about in the NDV post... bruh, how you gonna try talking a love of horology, then suggest people buy knock offs????? Fuck is that. Just in principle, that’s a never ever. Doesn’t matter how quality they are now a days, fuck fake anything. Instead of dropping $1000 on some super good fake, drop $1000 on a sick vintage watch and maintain your self respect. 

also, tissot is fine, but they’re like a hundred other mid tier swiss brands that make nice watches but Every time I see a new release I’m left wondering “who’s dropping $6k on a tissot”? The answer.... nobody. 

I actually tagged you by mistake @seeking. @IHATEUwas the guy addressing me and I messed up. I thought that user NDV was a bot too but raven vouched for him. I got the same vibe.

that’s exactly the plan, cop a rubber strap for this thing and not have to worry about it. I have a gshock from my mechanic days that used to be my beach beast but I changed the battery myself a few yrs ago and don’t trust the water resistance anymore. It’s probably fine but idk. 

whats Tissot in reverse? Toss it. Lol. Only mid tier swiss that does it for me though is Zodiac Super Seawolf, specifically the watermelon. Don’t trust that Fossil movement enough to drop 2g though. 

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, luhem said:

lookin for a standard analog watch with leather strap - if anyone has a rec pls drop a link/name !

want to step up my watch game been rocking the same Casio MQ24 forever 

What is your price range. I have always been a fan of movado. They have a bunch of new styles in all kinds of colors that match your needs.

Movado

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Props 1

10 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

What is your price range. I have always been a fan of movado. They have a bunch of new styles in all kinds of colors that match your needs.

Movado

Definitely can’t swing a rolly/ AP or anything like that yet , this would be my first proper watch so I’m down to spend ~G and use it for years til I can upgrade 

Will scour the site report back . Heritage series looking nice so far 

Edited by luhem
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, luhem said:

Definitely can’t swing a rolly/ AP or anything like that yet , this would be my first proper watch so I’m down to spend ~G and use it for years til I can upgrade 

Will scour the site report back . Heritage series looking nice so far 

I think my all time favorite watch maker is girard perregaux. They make some beautiful watches that you can buy second hand from about 1500 up to 100k+

• Props 1

Seiko kind of varies wildly, the Grand Seiko line is top tier craftsman ship and attention to detail. 

Then regular seiko varies wildly in price and quality ranges. 

Then you have seiko 5 which is the more affordable entry level line.

Some of their Divers are absolute tanks and can take a beating. 

the price point is all what you are willing to pay, and they have something for everyone. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 10:50 PM, luhem said:

lookin for a standard analog watch with leather strap - if anyone has a rec pls drop a link/name !

want to step up my watch game been rocking the same Casio MQ24 forever 

You should look at the used market. So many great deals and a lot of the higher end used watches that are second hand spent most of their time in a safe / their box. Www.chrono24.com or eBay 

for about a grand though you are in a weird gray area. If you can get to $2k you’ll be able to tap into used breitling and omega. Something you can have for life and will still be in style when you’re in your 60s. Or you can pawn for a few hundred in a serious pinch. The $1k area will be tough though. 

for a grand I suggest Tissot 

If you can wait and save another thousand used Breitling Colt is what I suggest 

if you just want an automatic beater, seiko

• Props 1

On 11/22/2019 at 8:26 PM, seeking said:

Oh, I just remembered what I was really annoyed about in the NDV post... bruh, how you gonna try talking a love of horology, then suggest people buy knock offs????? Fuck is that. Just in principle, that’s a never ever. Doesn’t matter how quality they are now a days, fuck fake anything. Instead of dropping $1000 on some super good fake, drop $1000 on a sick vintage watch and maintain your self respect. 

also, tissot is fine, but they’re like a hundred other mid tier swiss brands that make nice watches but Every time I see a new release I’m left wondering “who’s dropping $6k on a tissot”? The answer.... nobody. 

Been saying for a while.

I get what you are saying and I agree with you.  But not everybody is a aficionado.  I was just giving a suggestion.  I know a few people who collect watches and some that dont but like to treat themselves and hope to pass it down.  

But these same people that drop money have told me regardless of insurance purposes. 

If there is a watch you like e.g. rolex, pam or whatever and you can get a fake.  Buy the fake to because if you ever get robbed (house) or s shady buddy you didnt know was shady.  You have your gens tucked away always stood out of site, but leave your fakes out.   Hope it never happens but you never know?  Besides fakes are good to travel with,just incase you need to barder yourself out of trouble in another country.

I should have explained for better reasoning on a fake in my original post. 

Not a bot.  Not s cop.  Just a lame ass dude. 

• LOL! 1

• 1 month later...

ball.png.f5f847c9b409971edc71e1f4bce83682.png

Last purchase was this Ball Engineer Master II (DG1020A-P4J-BEOR), I love their US Railroad history, American design and Swiss made.  Got a really smoking deal on it and their use of micro gas tubes for lume is pretty damn neat. 

glycine.png.6a1ce86a46ed94623a27a3b7ec8c5218.png

Glycine Airman (GL0177) Daily driver, would have preferred the 24 hour purist movement, but those come mostly in 46mm and that's just a bit big. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

I havent had the pleasure of having a skeleton as of yet, I think with how the blue hands contrast it would be fine on this one.. they have other options.  I am just super interested in a Swiss made Tourbillion for under $10k to be honest. 

My issue is that there is always another watch I want that I dont need.. IE 

Montblanc 4810 Orbis Terrarum

Montblanc 4810 Orbis Terrarum