UBUNTU LINUX for the people....

Dirty_habiT

Ubuntu Linux homepage

I just got this installed on my computer last weekend, I love it... it's straight forward and easy to figure out....

and my hardware seems to handle it very well, it's only a 1.7ghz, but still it's very peppy. I highly recommend you

all give this a try, you can boot off of a cd and check it out without messing with your windows installations... it's

kind of a "try before you buy" type of thing, except for the fact that Linux is so awesome that it's free.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I cant figure out how to get my pictures off my camera and onto Linux.....Its really pissing me off...

Some cameras will appear as a SCSI disk (/sda, /sdb, etc.). If this is the case, upload them to your /home folder then use a photo viewer to see them.

That, or check Sourceforge for a driver for your camera. There's a lot of drivers written for third-party hardware available...or, learn Python and write your own.

There's a solution for every problem. Just be resourceful.

When we had windows I just took the card out of the camera and stuck it in the slot on the printer. Then a program popped up with all my pictures on it.

Nothing happens now. Im not exactly computer intelligent either soooo...

Thanks though.

MEPIS. I'm not going to recommend anything else until everybody tries their hand at that.

Sorry, it's not that I don't want to get more people turned on to Linux...but I keep saying over and over that MEPIS is by far the most user-friendly distro, and I wouldn't say that unless I truly believed it.

BTW, it's SimplyMEPIS 6.0 that you want to check out. Not the fully supported version.

Hey, Shai, maybe you can help me on this one... I downloaded :cough: legally a video that *should be able to be burned as 2 cd's and

watched as a vcd or svcd... whatever... problem is, after finally getting my vcd support for my burner (K3B) I find that is expects the

videos to be mpg format... and they're avi... so my question would be, is there any kind of super awesome all in one vcd burning

software that will do the conversion for me, and if not, is there a good avi to mpg converter for linux that you know of... hopefully

not a command line based deal... anyway, thanks if you can help... and if anyone else knows anything, I'd appreciate their help

too...

Hey, Shai, maybe you can help me on this one... I downloaded :cough: legally a video that *should be able to be burned as 2 cd's and

watched as a vcd or svcd... whatever... problem is, after finally getting my vcd support for my burner (K3B) I find that is expects the

videos to be mpg format... and they're avi... so my question would be, is there any kind of super awesome all in one vcd burning

software that will do the conversion for me, and if not, is there a good avi to mpg converter for linux that you know of... hopefully

not a command line based deal... anyway, thanks if you can help... and if anyone else knows anything, I'd appreciate their help

too...

Good as in "fast", or good as in "works"? I don't mess with video files much, but I am sure of one thing...they take a damned long time to do anything. I would ask my roommate, but he's a Mac guy. I'll ask around, someone will know what to do.

Or, you could check out Cinelerra...it's not exactly a converter (it's a video editing suite) but I imagine it may have some support for the codecs you're dealing with. If you're clever, you might figure out a workaround.

Also, if you're using Ubuntu, try apt-get with none of the search filters on, then narrow it down from the 20,000 packages you get progressively till you see something that looks promising...which is the caveat regarding Linux- it's free, but they make you work for it.

No, no, no....it's all about Slackware.

Slackware is what Linux should be- fast, stable as a rock, and elegant. I'm sure I'll enjoy all these perks once I get installed correctly (grrrrrr)...you really have to know what you're doing and what's going on while installing Slackware, I found out. One day, though...I shall prevail.

You'll see. I just realized that I have to do a wifi config in it, so it can wait....speaking of which, wifi is getting a lot better in Linux. It certainly couldn't have gotten worse...the problem with wireless ANYTHING in Open Source has to do with the fact that a lot of hardware manufacturers don't want to have to shell out more money to write Open Source drivers, the logic being that there's no money in it.

This is backassward thinking at its finest. EVERYBODY needs hardware, regardless of the OS it's used on...some companies (HP and Nokia come to mind) realize this and make lots of money- even though my HP printer is basically a piece of shit, it's a piece of shit that I can plug into my Linux machine and use with no trouble whatsoever.

Since more folks are using Open Source these days, there's also a cottage industry involving homebrewed drivers...these usually work fine, or not at all. My experience with ndiswrapper (Windows emulation layer for wifi drivers) was 99% unsuccessful, but other people use it all the time. It worked for me for about an hour, then never again. Oh well...that's the charm of Linux. And the cause of many headaches, I'm sure...

Hey Dhabz, any luck yet?

Shai halud--try editing linux to look "elegant," its really easy. Plus, slackware is NOT faster than linux..show me a reliable source that proves it.

slackware is linux :rudolph:

ubuntu is nice too, great for beginners, i suggest you try it if you are new to *nix

or any Debian based distro, ive used suse for a while...

ive used redhat, slackware, debian, gentoo, knoppix, suse, mandrake(lol), freebsd, openbsd, solaris, novell, m0n0wall, freewall, windows 95/98/se/nt/2k/xp, a bunch of mac os', lindows/linspire... the linspire president is my homeys dad, i was telling him for years to make 'click and run' free, and he finally did it

i heard mepis is good too

alot of people are hating on ubuntu, but hey, whatever works, works

i started making my own linux distro from scratch in 99, completed in 2003 and been updating it since then

i just pop in my install cd and it automatically installs everything exactly how i would configure it

like i said, try shit out and whatever you like, then use it

or make your own