Bush confirms secret CIA prisons

RumPuncher

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5321606.stm

President Bush has acknowledged the existence of secret CIA prisons and said 14 key terrorist suspects have now been sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The suspects, who include the alleged mastermind of the 9/11 attacks Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, have now been moved out of CIA custody and will face trial.

Mr Bush said the CIA's interrogation programme had been "vital" in saving lives, but denied the use of torture.

He said all suspects will be afforded protection under the Geneva Convention. *cough*bullshit*

Isn't there some legal action the people of America can do to get their country back from these people?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Bush said the CIA had used an "alternative set of procedures", agreed with the justice department, once suspects had stopped talking.

But he said: "The US does not torture. I have not authorised it and I will not."

but he was the govenor of texas, and didn't seem to be shy with the chair.

" Isn't there some legal action the people of America can do to get their country back from these people?"

not really. everyone is too pussy. does anyone really think the government is going to vote away thier power once they have it?

I see a big difference between the carrying out of just penalties and gulags/secret prisons and circumventing the constitution. but.... FUCK international law.

" Isn't there some legal action the people of America can do to get their country back from these people?"

not really. everyone is too pussy. does anyone really think the government is going to vote away thier power once they have it?

I see a big difference between the carrying out of just penalties and gulags/secret prisons and circumventing the constitution. but.... FUCK international law.

i agree. everyone is too pussy. in fact, i said that to my neighbor the other night.

the only action(s) we can take are to vote out these dipshits.

and don't think that voting for your local leaders doesn't count as well.

it does. it all starts locally and branches outward.

look at wisconsin making required rfid chipping of humans illegal. that is where we need the rest of the country to head. state to state, then the nation.

i'm pleading with you guys. even if you don't believe some or all of what i say about the govt and it's objectives. educate yourselves on the way the system works. call your local leaders on issues you disagree with. call your senators and state reps. don't sit around and think "there's nothing i can do". that hurts this country more than anything.

find an issue, fight for it.

example:

get blackbox voting out of the way. they can rob you blind if that shit is allowed in your state.

word up... it is amazing what states and localities can actually do.

look at the free state project.

the ideas of nullification and such are not so far fetched if you understand what they do. why would anyone want to simply create a total monopoly of power and force in teh central government? you can use individual states to nullify federal laws. this is the way to get things started. if you can get enough like minded people in one state to vote in good leaders, then they will have the balls to nullify federal laws like the patriot act, etc etc. why should FEDERAL government judges have a monopoly on interpretting the constitution? why shouldnt congress and the states have a crack at it? you could hold alot more people in DC accountable if people starting standing up for something. the states have the constitutional power to declare federal laws null and void.

lets just see what happens this time around.....

i hear you on nullification, the state of our nation today is exactly why jefferson first proposed it. unfortunetly your average citiczen..( i think i butchered that word) is far too preoccupied with who know's what to even find the time to vote decent individuals into office much less pressure their leaders into action. lets face it they have built a system of control based on distraction. for some its comfort and liesure that dissuades action. and for others its just the everyday act of life and survival. the powers that be are counting on the comfortable to not rock the boat, who's gonna ruin a sweet deal, (not that i think there is anything sweet about things right now) and the strugglers to be so focused on their 60 hour work week that they're too burnt out to cry out. the federal government was never meant to be an all encompassing power over the land, it was originally inted for forieghn affairs and some large scale domestics...each state was to be responsible for its own affairs. somewhere along the line they just started passing off responsibilitys...maybe its time we remind our fearless leaders who exactly gives them the power they wield like a 12 year old with his daddy's gun

i was talking to my dad today about hacking diebold machines and he was saying how the secretary of state is in charge of setting up polling stations during elections and in the cities (mainly democrat) there would be 1 voting booth to discourage people who would most likely be voting against bush and in the country areas where the republicans are there would be 8 voting booths . He was talking about Ohio particularly.

I need to see if I can find anything on this.

I'm glad Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, Ramzi Binalshibh, and Abu Zubaydah are now going to be prosecuted. I heard they're in Guantanamo Bay now. I guess they got all the information they could out of them. They did get a treasure trove of info and leads that stopped future attacks, especially from the mouths of KSM and AZ. Did the CIA torture? Possibly. Depends on what you define as "torture." I remember reading about how using extremely bright lights to deprive the suspects of sleep doesn't violate the Geneva Conventions. They probably used some kind of harsh methods other than just sitting in a room asking them to please give up info. Who knows. It has always been the CIA's policy to have a "no comment" policy on pretty much anything they do. Which I have no qualms with. Most secrets deserve to be kept secrets. It's amazing how you've got whiny ultra-liberals that think the public has the right to know everything, including strategies involving war and law enforcement that are kept classified for a reason. You can't just let the public (which means the enemies too) know about all the top secret intelligence.

But, to me (and others here), willfully not knowing what your own government is doing is acknowledging that you are aiding and abetting them in illegal activity. You don't have to stop them, but standing up and demanding to know what goes on in these prisons is not only your right but your duty as an American and human being.

The government is up to some terrible things right now, and simply turning a blind eye to it is not going to make it stop or go away.

There's other factors in my personal life that come into play. Believe me, if I was in a more stable situation and able to deal with things in a more peaceful enviroment, I would do it in a second.

I quit for two years, in much the same way. Mind over matter.

Thank you. Making any human being miserable in order to extract information is inhumane, no matter what the means are.

So maybe we're a little more enlightened, and don't need to use the dunking chair or the cat o' nine tails. Is sleep deprivation any more humane? Or waterboarding?

Yeah I think they use "soft torture." But I don't think they're pulling fingernails out and burning hotcoals on them and dunking them in water like the ACLU wants people to think. And I don't think the military does this, just the CIA. The CIA has a lot of leeway operating in secrecy.

Thank you. Making any human being miserable in order to extract information is inhumane, no matter what the means are.

So maybe we're a little more enlightened, and don't need to use the dunking chair or the cat o' nine tails. Is sleep deprivation any more humane? Or waterboarding?

Prisons (especially for terrorists) aren't meant to be nice and tidy. That's the whole purpose of "punishing" someone for committing crimes such as mass murder. I don't see anything wrong with having bright lights or strobe lights going off in someone's cell for 24 hours straight if it means getting information that can save the lives of thousands of innocents.

Well, it's illegal in this country and laws that are written into the document this country was founded on are being broken with these prisons and survellience techniques. The people that are actually guilty of serious crimes belong in a pen but the methods of putting them in that pen need to be within the boundries of the constitution, like affording them a lawyer. When the government starts breaking these laws in plain view it's scary, scary, scary. It doesn't have to be a "with us or against us" thing. It can be had both ways and in the long run it is far better to stay within the boundries of the constitution rather than blatently violate those boundries.

Holding someone incommunicado without due process? I don't care if they're enemy combatants, they're still entitled to protection under the Sixth Amendment, as long as they're being held by American authorities on American soil.

Why doesn't anybody care about this? Today it's Muslim terrorists...then, it could be graffiti writers...it's a stretch, but who could have imagined that things could have gone so terribly wrong to the point where we would accept this as a matter of course?

The army field manual now specifically bans all of the “soft torture” techniques. Shai, you are right that is an extremely long stretch and a little irrational when you compare the two. Keep in mind terrorist suspects apprehended in the US are still detained and treated like any other criminal, the difference is they are being captured on foreign soil and don’t play by the rules so they are in the grey area.

I think its a good thing the soft torture techniques are being banned and the detainees are going to start having trials. No, thats not out of compassion and feeling for my fellow human beings or any hippy shit like that. Torture for purposes of information extraction does not work, physical distress will just cause anything to be said to stop it. And the detainees being denied the right to trials has led to a lot of people being released who shouldn’t have, in some cases turning up fighting the infidels months later. Or they are sent to foreign prisons like in Yemen where they can just walk out. With trials more will be locked up permanently and be forced to live in a cage next to Americans in pelican bay for the rest of their lives, in conditions a lot worse than they have been exposed to thus far.