Old Time Music appreciation.

iloveboxcars

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: the essential fucked up blues.

Im into allot of old, early blues. Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Skip James,Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Elizabeth Cotton. There seems to be a resurgence of roots style music whithin the punk crowd. Im hip. I can dig it. Im more of a ragtime/Hot Jazz man myself, but some good blues and bluegrass is just as good. Check out the Old Crow Medicine Show, The Lonesome Spurs(more country blues but still great), Sassparilla Jug Band, Bakelite 78, and Gal Holiday(more western swing, but still great). All of these guys have myspace music profiles so you can hear them, and if you are looking for more, just scour their friends list for other bands they have played with that may have similar styles.

If anyone is interested in Hot/Sweet Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Western Swing, Big Band Swing, Ragtime, or Rockabilly, I can offer suggestions also.

you ever listen tobob wills and his texas playboys?

some good ole western swing...

oh yeah, we've got a bluegrass station here you migh want to check out via the interwebs.

http://www.wdvx.com/webcast.htm

i dig the shit out of some of the stuff they play. johnson city (just northeast of me) is the home of some old time bluegrass. near the kentucky border where it was born.

yes. i used to have a quadrajets album but it got stolen by some crackhead mexicans in arizona.

there's a whole album there. download it.

that's so weird that you listen to music i was a teenager to.

every weekend my friends and i would go to house parties and see these guys, or they'd be at another friends house smoking up. i knew quite a few of these guys. the quadrajets were my friend sean's roommates.

small world.

There's too much music I''m missing out on. I'm all about the roots sound these days, because I'm tired of seeing the same "BLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAARRRRRRRGGH!!!!!!!!! SO FUCKING PUNK ROCK!!!!!!!!!!" shit all the time.

I'm into the obscure shit that no one has ever heard of. Hipster status? Hardly, I grew up around musicians. A lot of shit people are finally starting to catch onto now, I've known about for years.

Check out http://www.fullmoonpartisans.com to see some of the tangents the Bay Area scene is exploring. There's some DLs there, not much, but enough to get an idea.

I know myspaced is pretty annoying, but I've been able to hunt down so much old timey music. Impretty much into anything made after 1880 and before 1955. There are all kinds of groups playing all that shit nowadays, they just dont have the profile.

This chick is amazing:

http://www.myspace.com/seacrest

Thank me later.