Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iloveboxcars

why do morons compress music files into rarely used extentions

i wasnt too thrilled about downloading this bullshit .mpc plugin for winamp.

same with .ogg

and .. other files i cant think of.

stop it.

ILB, I have a player that plays EVERYTHING. Let me know if you want it.

.ogg is good. It's basically .ac3 (what iPod uses) without DRM encoding. It's also a lossless format, so you get twice the compression as mp3 without a drop in the sound quality.

.mpg is a weird one. It's supposed to be used for video files, but some folks use it for music. Not sure why...

all im saying is. god damn it. cant we all just use the same god damn file extensions. stop trying to compete with free internet music extensions.

listen adolf! if you don't like ogg, you don't like america....that means you're a terrorist. with a white spikey belt and emo hair.

go back to swaziland, hippie!

why do mormons compress filez.

haha. fuck converting. you lose quality. just get foobar and

let your troubles ride with UBER R33T MORMONS.

all im saying is. god damn it. cant we all just use the same god damn file extensions. stop trying to compete with free internet music extensions.

No, and there's a really good reason why.

mp3 was originally intended to be the compression format for the sound for MPEG files....which is a video compression format. Along the way, mp3 became a commonly used format to send sound files because the trade-off between compression and loss of sound quality was, if not perfect, acceptable.

The catch with mp3 is that it's proprietary, and some Linux systems use .ogg instead since it's open source (and better, incindentally), so they don't have to get the license for the mp3 codec. A lot of folks use Open Source and, by default, .ogg nowadays because they don't want to deal with installing an mp3 codec....much the same as you don't want to have to install the .ogg codec.

In time, I believe .ogg is going to replace mp3 as the predominant format for encoding sound files. We'll see.

Just thought you would like to know.

and with .ogg you can rip surround sound. mp3 is stereo....for now. they ahve new codecs

that haven't quite made it to the general public as of yet...but still...

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now