Tom Waits releases three disc CD 'Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards'

trackstand

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
tom waits sucks worse than guru.

seriously. dude is so over rated.

i havent listened to tom waits enough (because i cant) to agree 100% with this but something deep down says seeking is right. not because seeking knows everything but because tom waits seems pretty fucking horrible at first listen.

I can't always handle dude's voice but he's a talented musician, you can't argue that. Plus he's Tommy the Cat on that Primus album and basically anything Primus does is good because Les Claypool is amazing, so that makes Waits sorta amazing by proximity.

He's always seemed like more of a musician's musician, like a Zappa. I could see where most people wouldn't like the shit though.

Tom Waits is fucking garbage, I think tom Waits is some dude who idolized people like Dylan and the folkies, bluesmen and the Jazzdudes and tried to put it all together with some like death-metal Louis Armstrong type voice which makes my hair stand on end. Someone put him out of his mysery.

And it's funny cause fans of his will be all like oh you haven't heard... And after I do I just say that's shit, we don't need another wannabe loser whitedude who thinks he some reincarnation of a whole bunch of other people synthesized and repackaged which is what jambamd music is.

And Neil Young, I never understood how people don't like his voice

Oh and having a voice like that and recording a bunch of old folk songs is honestly a fucking insult, so fuck you Springsteen and Waits.

He is an aquired taste, I agree, but he doesnt suck. He isnt overrated because, well, he isnt all up in you're grill every 20 seconds. You dont hear about him much unless you are around fanatic fans of his all day long and they cant stop talking about him.

I hate the grateful dead with a passion, but they are by no means overrated, and they dont suck. I just dont like them.

Hes amazingly talented, he carved out a niche for himself, and hes mure punk ethics any 6 current trendy bands.

The new box set is supposed to drop in november. I cant wait.

Yea I hear you. Its an aquired tatse. I fucking HATE Neil Young's voice. Its too high pitched for me. But he is an obviously amazingly talented musician who has influenced many people.

To me, Waits is the same way.

Tin Can was saying something about them recycling older personalities ans it being bullshit, but its not different than Dylan, and Donovan biting the shit out of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seager.

I mean....who the hell are any of us to dismiss someone as bullshit. Have any of us done a quarter of what these dudes have done? NO.

So fine, we might not like it, but you need to recognize talent and what they have accomplished. IM 100 perccent sure if you asked Dylan or Springsteen or Waits or Young, they would all have seriously admiring things to say about each other.

Its not an insult for those guys to be recording folk songs. Whats even possibly wrong with it? Those guys are the biggest fans of that music around that exist. they keep that music fresh in peoples ears.

Tom Waits is a Grizzled musician.

I don't know of a grouping of words that's harder than, "Stirring my brandy with a nail"

I cant listen to him all the time and his over the top preachy fans kinda fuck it up for him, but I can get down on his shit upon occasion.

**bad grammer**

Try dealing with Phish fans.

No fucking doubt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cousin and my Ex got me to deal with some of their stuff just due to repeated abuse of my ear drums on such a constant level.

And they are too often snobby about other jam bands ... which is just a scary thought.