Hpv Vaccine

alure

Q: I am 24 years old and I’ve had two boyfriends in the past. I’ve heard about this new vaccine that protects you against HPV. Should I get it? Who pays for it?

A Yes, you are a good candidate for vaccination. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just recommended that the vaccine be given to all girls between the ages of 11 and 12 and to all females ages 13 to 26. So you definitely fit into an age-appropriate category. Twenty-six was chosen as the high-end age (although from my perspective it’s still very young) because the vaccine was tested in women up to that age, and hence the vaccine’s current approval must match the ages that were tested.

The vaccine, called Gardasil, is produced by the pharmaceutical company Merck. It guards against SILs (squamous intraepithelial lesions) which are precancerous lesions of the cervix; hence it’s name: gard...a (against) sil. Specifically, the vaccine prevents diseases caused by HPV types 16 and 18, which are associated with about 70 percent of cervical cancers, and types 6 and 11, which are associated with genital warts.

Clearly if you’ve had several boyfriends (or even one), you, like all young women, may have been exposed to HPV. (As an aside, a national survey done in 2002 found that 26 percent of girls in the U.S. had had vaginal sex by the age of 15; that number rose to 77 percent by age 19). HPV is extremely infectious. Once sexual activity has been initiated, the incidence of HPV is 40 percent within two years and more than 50 percent within four years!

Even if you’ve been exposed to HPV, though, there’s a good chance that it wasn’t to all the types “covered” but the vaccine. A study by Merck showed that 76 percent of girls between the ages of 16 and 26 were still naïve (they hadn’t formed antibodies) to all four HPV types in the vaccine and less than 1 percent had evidence of past or present infections with all four types. So even if you’ve been infected by one, two, or three types of HPV, you can still expect to derive a benefit from the vaccine. You don’t need a new Pap smear (if you have been having it done regularly) in order to get the vaccine. Even if you’ve had an abnormal Pap test in the past, tested positive for HPV, or had genital warts the vaccine is recommended because, again, chances are that you’ve not had all four types of HPV that are targeted by Gardasil.

The vaccine is given as three injections over six months. It’s believed that immunity is acquired one month after the last shot and that it remains effective for at least five years. It’s not yet clear if booster shots are necessary, but Merck is following women who’ve been immunized to see how long their immunity lasts. Gardasil currently costs $360 for three doses (or $120 per dose). Insurance companies should pay for the vaccine, since it has been recommended for universal immunization of females in the age group I just mentioned. If there is a problem getting insurance coverage and/or you’re unable to afford the vaccine, Merck will be starting a program to help pay for the immunization.

Finally, many women are asking me if they need subsequent Pap smears after getting the vaccine. The answer is yes. There are over 30 types of HPV out there in the sexual world and although this vaccine protects against four very important ones, it doesn’t protect against all of them. Thirty percent of cervical cancers are still due to these other viruses.

Wow, it says that 20 million people are infected with different types of HPV..so I would recommend telling the lady/ladies you sleep with to get this done

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care. Don't have a cervix.

I don't waste my life worrying about all the things that can hurt me...

Condoms don't even stop HPV. I've had sex with however many fucking girls already who didn't have the vaccine, I'm not gonna make a new rule now.

Life is too short. I'll go ahead and try to be the first guy to die of cervical cancer.

well good for you that you dont care about contacting stds

if there was a vaccine for hiv, and it was only for woman at the time.. wouldn't you like for the woman you know to get the vaccine? so you would have less of a chance contacting it?

i dont know.. i thought it was interesting..

It's not HIV. It's HPV. HIV can be stopped by condoms. HPV can't. HIV leads to AIDS which is a serious virus that causes death. HPV is a minor virus that the majority of people in the world already have, and only causes cervical cancer in rare cases.

Not that I'm saying people shouldnt' get vaccinated for it. But I'm not going to make sure every girl I fuck already did before laying pipe. Especially when I've gone this long. She should get it for herself is she wants to.

The fuck I care about HPV? I don't have a cervix.

You should care about HPV.

There's tons of different types of HPV, and it's not contracted by women only.

Different forms of the virus result in different afflictions.

Have you ever known anyone with genital warts? It's caused by a form of HPV.

Other forms cause cervical cancer.

Some don't do anything at all.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/sexual-health/std/hpv.htm

You should care about HPV.

There's tons of different types of HPV, and it's not contracted by women only.

Different forms of the virus result in different afflictions.

Have you ever known anyone with genital warts? It's caused by a form of HPV.

Other forms cause cervical cancer.

Some don't do anything at all.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/sexual-health/std/hpv.htm

Majority*

New Scientist/ July 4, 2004

Many millions more people than previously thought might have been given polio vaccine contaminated with a monkey virus linked to cancer.

It has been known since 1960 that early doses of polio vaccine were widely contaminated with simian virus 40, or SV40, which infects macaque monkeys. Tens of millions of people in the US and an unknown number in other countries, including the UK, Australia and the former Soviet Union, may have been exposed prior to 1963.

The contamination occurred because the kidney cells the vaccine virus was grown in came from monkeys infected with SV40. Health officials say the problem was eliminated after 1963.

Now Michele Carbone of Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago has announced results that suggest the Soviet polio vaccine was contaminated after 1963, possibly until the early 1980s. "Is there infectious virus? The short answer is, yes," Carbone told the Vaccine Cell Substrate Conference 2004 in Rockville, Maryland, last week.

The vaccine was almost certainly used throughout the Soviet bloc and probably exported to China, Japan and several countries in Africa. That means hundreds of millions could have been exposed to SV40 after 1963.

Rare cancers

The consequences of exposure to the virus (which is not related to HIV in any way) are unclear. There is evidence is that some of the people given contaminated vaccines were infected by SV40, and that such infections might lead to the development of certain rare types of cancer many years down the line. But the link with cancer has neither been proved, nor shown to be false.

"There are two scenarios," says Philip Minor of the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control in the UK. "One is that it doesn't matter. The other is that it does."

Minor found three samples of the Soviet oral polio vaccine from the late 1960s in the NIBSC's freezers, the only samples known to survive from this time. In 1999, he found they tested positive for SV40, whereas British samples from this period did not. "But we did not draw any broad conclusions," Minor says.

Now Carbone has carried out further tests. He has confirmed the presence of SV40 in the Soviet vaccine samples using three separate tests. In two of the samples, he also showed that the SV40 remained infectious. In the third sample, there was no infectious poliovirus either, an indication that the sample of the live vaccine may have degraded.

Lung cancer link

Yet the production process was supposed to ensure that if any SV40 was present, it would be neutralised. When Carbone tested the Soviet neutralisation method, which relied on magnesium chloride, he found it was only 95 per cent effective. Because of this, he believes the Soviet vaccine could have remained contaminated until the early 1980s. In 1981, the Soviet Union switched to a polio vaccine seed provided by the World Health Organization that was free from any SV40 contamination.

Carbone, the first to publish evidence of a link between SV40 and the deadly lung cancer mesothelioma ( New Scientist print edition, 21 May 1994), will not discuss his results further until they have been published.

Officials from the US Food and Drug Administration who attended the conference also declined to comment, as the FDA is a defendant in lawsuits alleging that the SV40-contaminated polio vaccine used in the US has caused cancer cases.

Hilary Koprowski of Jefferson University in Philadelphia, who created one of the first polio vaccines, says he is not surprised that the magnesium chloride preparation did not work. "Nothing inactivates something 100 per cent," he said. "I would believe there were still remnants [of SV40] left."

Fresh kidneys

The contamination of the Soviet vaccine highlights the need for safer methods of growing viruses for vaccines, Koprowski says, something he is trying to tackle by using plant cells. The US stopped using fresh monkey kidneys for polio vaccine in 2000. But the vaccine is still made in this way in several other countries.

"I would say that it suggests that [old] vaccines made in different countries should be examined for possible contamination," says Janet Butel of Baylor University College of Medicine in Houston, a leading SV40 expert.

"In any epidemiological studies where they're comparing exposed versus non-exposed, if in fact there was any contaminated vaccine used after 1963, the control group wouldn't be a control group."

Konstantin Chumakov of the FDA Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, says that Carbone's findings leave many unanswered questions. For example, he said it is not clear from the labelling of the samples found at the NIBSC exactly when they were used in the Soviet Union or for how long.

Chumakov, whose father was director of the Soviet Institute of Poliomyelitis Research during the time of the contamination, says he was told that at one point the Soviet Union was supplying more than 100 countries with its vaccine.

He travelled to Moscow in April 2004 to try to learn more about the production and testing of the Soviet vaccine. But he found no more vaccine samples from that era, and very little surviving documentation about specific batches and why they might have been contaminated. "It's hard to explain how it happened," he says, "but it obviously did."

Debbie Bookchin

hpv is not a minor virus,ebph.

it can cause cervical cancer, for christssake.

how is that minor????

Bacon can cause heart disease. The sun can cause skin cancer. So should I stop eating bacon and stay out of the sun? Cell phones might cause brain tumors, should I stay off the phone?

The very small chance that you are going to get the one strain that CAN cause cervical cancer, then actually DEVELOP cervical cancer, are why it's minor.

Sorry. Try to at least look into stuff before you try to argue.