rap songs

Abracadabra

very true...i just listen to what i like, regardless of how people want to categorize it.

exactly.

and as far as the quote. your misinterpreting what is being said. (however interpret it as you will) but what it means TO me and FOR me is this> rap is rap. thats the music.

hip-hop is your mind frame. to me, i dont care what the next guys idea of hip-hop is. i do as i please, how i want when i want and only IF i want. i like everything from creedence clearwater to primus to buck65 to 2pac to whatever the hell i like. hip-hop is simply a mind-frame. its an easy way to define who you are.

like i said i dont care about the next guys idea about it, but to me, hip-hop means being myself, being diverse, and multi-cultural. it does not make me.

hip-hop is a sense of freedom to me in a world where there is hardly such a thing.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine wrote this...

-----------------------

Are you one of these "types"?

10. HipHop Revisionist:These are the folks that go on and on about the "good" old days...as if they were there. "Back in the days they did/didn't..." is usually one of their favorite sayings. Bling, Money, Violence...?it was all there. Kool DJ Herc even got stabbed at one of his own parties.

9. People that seperate "Rap" from "HipHop": "Mr. Lif is an MC, LiL Flip is only a rapper." These guys usally have a list of Rap/Hiphop artist, but no reason behind their choice. The ironic thing about these guys is, if they made a list of HipHop artist, and took a trip to the birthplace of HipHop, virtually no one will have heard of their "HipHop artist. They aren't bumping Sage in the Bronx

8. Mainstream Haters: These are the guys whining and crying about how radio and MTV is killing HipHop. What they don't seem to realize is that is HipHop would have never went mainstream(which it did in the 80's), it would have never made it out to their backwater ass town in the first place. I remebmber a time when there was NO HipHop on the radio, period. The only way that you heard new stuff was from cats on your block or a older cousin or something. Wanna know how i was introduced to HipHop? Through a HollyWood movie in 1984. I am not ashamed to say it, I also remember the first 5 HipHop songs on the radio. Plus, these nuts seem to be unaware of how easy it is to get a hold of there precious "underground" HipHop. Just type it into GOOGLE and poof, there it is.

7. Chicken Littles: These are the nuts running around talking about HipHop is dead. If you didn't start it, how can you kill it? I for one haven't listen to much HipHop lately, in fact post-1995 HipHop probably makes up about .5% of what i listen to on any given day. Does this mean that HipHop is dead? No, it means that I don't have much intrest in it, but it is alive and well. And will remain.

6. People Who Think Undergroud is a Style: Plain and simple, Jedi Mind Triocks is not "underground". Quannum may not be in Rap City, but best believe that they don't wanna be "underground"

5. White People:Just kidding. No really, I like you guys.

4. Poor Little Starving Artist: They yell, "we dont' do this for the money" turning up there nose at sellouts that don't have any love for the "culture" because they want to pay their bills with HipHop. It's easy to do it for the "love" when you used moms VISA to buy your MPC4000xL and go to shows in dads ML450. People that actually had to eat "free lunch" in grade school(like me) are less concerned with the "love" as we are with the light bill.

3. Purist: These are the funniest people on the planet. They think that people must imitate 1979 to even be considered "HipHop" I actually had a conversation with a guy in an AOL chat where the guy stated that since I no longer "Broke" That I was not HipHop, only a guy who listened to HipHop music. In the same breath he told me that hiphop music must contain samples(!) I asked him about the ROOTS and Organized Noize, he stated "the're alright, but I don't consider them HipHop"(!) This is an extreme case, but many folks out there feel this way.

2. Branch Dividians: These are the folks that treat HipHop like a cult, something seperate from everyday life. They think that HipHop is something that you have to pass test to qualify, has rules to follow. They usually dieify KRSone.(I call theese ones KRS-oneites) Yes I know KRS has contributed alot to this "culture" and he is a dope artist(I own everything between Criminal Minded and I Got Next) but he is not GOD. And he is not any more or less HipHop than you or I.

1. Historians: It's good that you know Kool Hercs middle name, and that you know the Kool Moe Dee/Busy Bee battle line for line, but this does not make you HipHop. A good friend and I were having a conversation about Islam. He said that there are Jewish scholars that know more about Islam than 90% of the Muslims worldwide. There are Christians and Athiest that know more than 90% of the Muslims, because they have studied. But this information does not make them Muslims, just someone who has a lot of knowledge about Islam. The same thing applies to HipHop. Information alone does make one "HipHop"

Are you one of these types?

------------------

Get in where you fit in.

I'll confess which categories I fall into... I fall into category 1, I have listened to, and saw numerous documentaries, and read tons of books and magazines about hip hop, oth old school, etc., and own a lot of old school rap that I play till this day -- but only because reading about it interests me. And I feed my interest through reading, so it's a vicious inevitable cycle.

Category 2: went through a period in high school where I came close to fall into this category, at age 16... I guess that was the time period where kids "reinvent" themselves in many types of ways. I believed in all that 4 elements crap and "living hip hop" almost the same way a Christian lives Christianity. I also tried to reject everything mainstream... fact is, there is a lot of garbage considered "purist" and a lot of good mainstream rap songs.

3: Although I came close to becoming a purist during my high school years, even at that age I quickly realized that all the "purist" hip hop coming out at the time (97-99) sounds nothing like the rap that came out in '79... Wu-Tang and Mos Def and Aesop Rock and Aceylone and The Hieroglyphics sound nothing like Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five or Afrika Bambaata or Sugar Hill Gang.

4: Can't say I'm here... although I used to feel guilty or "not real" for not growing up in the hood, I realize that I have no control of what kind of environment I was raised in, just as much as anyone doesn't have a choice as to why they grew up in the projects... well, I grew up in the hood (South Central L.A., Leimert Park Area), but it was the "nice" part of the inner-city... but I didn't engage in hood activities. Didn't join a gang, as that was the "thing to do" growing up in L.A.... my family wasn't broke but not rich. We were comfortable.

5. Not here either.

6. At one time I did (my high school "rebel" years), but I partly blame other ignoramuses as well as established artists feeding me that garbage. People would say "Mos Def" was "underground" because he rapped about conscious topics and didn't rap about bling bling. Fact is, Mos Def is mainstream because he's in ads, magazines, has his CD at Tower Records, has music videos on MTV and BET, and does pretty well in sales. It's merely his content and subject matter that seperates him from the status quo of mainstream which is bling bling, bitches, money, and cars... and of course some thug and gangsta references. Fact is, there are thug bling bling rappers on the underground and there are conscious rappers on the mainstream... and vice versa.

7. I did say Hip Hop died in '97, because Tupac and Biggie died, and we were graced with Puffy & Mase. I'm serious, at that point in time I really did think Hip Hop died. I was a fan of gangsta rap, and shit got watered down after Pac and Big died, because everyone was on that "stop the violence" tip, and the west coast gangsta rap dipped into the "underground" so-to-speak. But these days, I'm aware Hip Hop is alive and well, just look at the record sales. Yes, the artform has evolved and changed but so what? If I want to listen to some 95 Nas or some 93 Snoop, or some 96 Pac, I'll listen to it. I like some of the stuff that comes out today too. You just gotta seperate the bullshit from the real deal.

8. I like a lot of mainstream music. Big deal. Some mainstream is good and some is bad. Same with underground. It being mainstream in no way changes the dynamic of the song itself. Now, if an artist is watering-down his music and trendying it up as instructed by record execs to boost sales, then that's a different story.

9. Never could understand people that did that. Rap music and HipHop music is the same. However, the only time is when you speak of "HipHop Culture" and that 4 Elements mess, then you consider Rap an "element" of HipHop. But since most people don't really care, there is no difference between Rap and HipHop music. They're just two different names that sprang about, rap being the first (Dolemite refferred to his rhymes as "rap" in the early 70's)...

10. Can't say I can talk about the good old days because in those days I was playing with GI Joe and Transformers and Micromachines. Didn't start getting into rap until '92.

i like that theo.

now first off. its simple. music is the the ear of the beholder as beauty is to the eye of the beholder. cut and dry.

to mouth, dont get me wrong man. im not trying to say "oh, im hip hop" all im saying is that its an easy defninition of a person. you know, if your into that sorta thing.

no, for real. it's cool to really like music and shit, and be into it to the point where it's a big part of your life, but this is some of the gayest shit i've ever seen. you should be putting way more thought into video games and booger statues than writing essays on what hip-hop means to you as a person.

says who?

Says the common sense it takes to realize that hip-hop isn't really as 'elevated' and world-changing as it's fans like to think it is.

Not to sound like some gloomy dickhead, but the same thing goes for just about every single 'youth-movement' rooted in music. Hip-hop, 'p.l.u.r.' ravers, name it, it's all the same shit- a whole lot of gross romanticism for people who'd rather talk about how their idle hope is changing the world than actually go out and work their asses off to change something.

Hell, hippies even went as far as to organize and take (minimal) action for the causes they believed in (!with Havard professors and world-class thinkers on their side!) and still didn't accomplish shit, so, for some reason, I don't think puffy shoes, scientific jargon, cultural references and catch phrases are ever going to do a much better job.

Fuck dude, I love music... but I'm not going to let that blind me to the fact that people romanticize it to the point of parody.

Nigga, you just don't know anything 'bout that dope boy magic.

HAHAHAHA THIS NIGGA BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH...NIGGA IM FRESH TA DEATH ERRDAY LIKE I JUMPED UP OUT THE CASKET...I DONT GIVE A FUCK B I SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN, I FUCK WITH SOME ROCK, BUT IM NOT GONNA SIT OUTSIDE AND LISTEN TO NIGGAS SMASH GUITARS AND SING SAD SONGS WHEN IM GETTIN DRUNK AND SMOKIN BLUNTS, VODKA AND HENNY IS MY TWO STEP JUICE, I CANT TWO STEP TO FUCKING "MAPS". CAN I GET SOME BOUNCE PLEASE? THAT SAID, I FUCK WIT THE NEW YOUNG JOC ALBUM, ITS LIKE THE SAME SONG 14 TIMES BUT I DONT GIVE A FUCK, THAT SHIT KNOCKS LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. SHIT GOES BOTH WAYS, I THINK ROCK IS JUST A BUNCH OF NIGGAS WHINING WHILE SHAKING THEIR HAIR AROUND AND WEARING MASCARA AND CLUTCHING A MICROPHONE WHILE LOOKING AT THE SKY MAKING THEIR BEST "SAD CONFUSED BOUT TO CRY FACE" AND WHEN NIGGAS DO THAT STOMP WHILE THEY HOLD THE MIC AND ACT LIKE THE MIC IS PICKING THEM UP OFF THE FLOOR...NAH IM NOT WITH THAT. FUCK THAT, I NEED NIGGAS ON STAGE BOUNCIN, WAVING TOWELS, ADLIBBING AND SHIT.

Lookin' like Chris Angel and Rage Against the Machine in a small hallway and shit...

YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN? AND NIGGAS WERE HATING ON NIGGAS THROWING UP SIGNS AND HOLDING THEIR CHAINS UP. THATS NOWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS GOING ON STAGE IN WOMENS PANTS AND NO SHIRT WHEN YOU LOOK LIKE AN ALBINO SOMALIAN WITH SUPERAIDS...THEN NIGGAS PUT THEIR FOOT ON THOSE SPEAKERS ON THE FRONT OF THE STAGE AND LEAN MAD HARD INTO IT LIKE THEIR TRYING TO CRUSH IT WITH THEIR FOOT...COME ON B, SPARE ME, JUST DO YOUR SET AND GO BACKSTAGE AND FUCK BRITANY AND AMBER (AND THEN FUCK YOUR BASS PLAYER AND PRETEND ITS REBELIOUS AND NOT HOMO).