Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soup BDC

Moral Ambiguity.

Here's the problem: In yesterday's time, adulthood is synonymous with turning 21. Due to the orgy of media that hits today's youth, adulthood is now commonly thought to be reached closer to age 25, and it's not getting any easier. More kids do drugs today without caring where those drugs come from than ever before. Schools are generally more violent, even when the education is the best of the best.

Today the media's soul purpose seems to be making the audience rethink everything, which may seem like a good thing, but when one's life is made to simply live and make things useful for the next generation, why should that be rethought? Every other movie today bats the audience back and forth, one second siding with the gangster, the wino, the crooked businessman, the bad cop whose ends justify the means, the pimp, the drugdealer... unheard of is a moment where someone slows down and thinks things out.

My point is ethics are deminishing, people are becoming numb to violence because they can no longer see things black and white. The common response to a war is to just let them kill eachother, and don't even bother asking who, what, or why. Just look at the movie Jarhead. The audience chooses to feel for the character and turn a blind eye to everything he does in the movie.

It seems to me that Washington is capitalizing on America's moral ambiguity and going to war, not for Americans, but for their Saudi royal family-backed retirement plans.

What do you guys think on the matter?

The whole pro-longed adolescense thing works out great for the corporations that are dependant on the child-dollar. In 1970, you would not of had 23-year-olds that were still buying army-men like 23-year-olds still buy G.I. DVDS and lust for a Transformers movie. But at the same time, technology is reaching a point where the Transformers movie might actually be f'n amazing to watch (though the plot and script will be shit, I'm sure). Still, look around you and you'll see more and more people focusing on what's "hip" and "cool" and conversely you'll see more and more corporations and networks sending out programs and toys to children that talk to them like they are adults while feeding them with trash ("Bratz", a big example). Connect the dots.

Also, interesting note that Transformers and He-Man were toys that were created with the purpose of turning them into television shows and movies and cereals, by Hasbro. It wasn't the other way around.

i see your point but you could also argue it the other way.

women are more widely accepted as equal than ever before. no mroe apartheid or government sanctioned oppression of people based on race. A few people are finaly waking up to the wrongs of intensive farming and animal testing.

it all depends on where youre looking from, but i think as a whole humans are slowly but surely getting better (at least the educated ones are).

i think the 'moral wrongess' that youre talkign about like drug use, consumerism etc stems from the fact that we have more resources available to us than ever before and instead of tryign to improve the conditions of all of humanity, the western world is being conditioned into relying on the tv to make decisions for them and becoming part of a system rather than actually having to fend for themselves.

as a society i think we definitely seem mroe degenerate than the view of the past we have been presented with but i think that view is probably sugarcoated anyway. as individuals though i think youll find youre average lower middle class person is a more progressive and morally righteous now than thye would have been before in history

"as individuals though i think youll find youre average lower middle class person is a more progressive and morally righteous now than thye would have been before in history"

definately more progressive,(statist) but i dont know about morally righteous. well i guess that depends of your definition of 'morally righteous.'

What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust. -- Salvador Dali.

The TV is the worst drug to hit the human race ... It lets supply & demand justify anything.

If we want to see fucked up shit they will show it to us, if that fucked up shit can make them money it will happen faster.

Drug use in this day and age is different ... our grand parents and great-grand parents were subjected to the heaviest anti-drug propaganda ... often based on false pretense or economics. We now at least have pro and con information out there for us. With the constraints we place upon ourselves by living in this world I don't see it as a bad thing to make a spiritual escape now and again. This is not including abuse or dependence on these substances that becomes a new debate.

Organized religion is what fucked up our view of Morals ... I feel we have equal parts of devil and angel in our minds and its up to us to decide how to act. Too many people make bad decisions all week long and feel the one hour a week in church asking to be forgiven is OK. Its not ... you shouldn't have made those bad decisions ... especially when you are going to do that same thing next week anyway.

In the end we are an animal like any other on this planet ... Being told we are above this status sets up to fail ... Being set up to fail is a good lure to bring people into and under control. The type of righteous people who would wish to impose their view as the only correct view and control our destiny are questionable at best.

All we can do is live our lives the best we can and try to spread the love so to speak.

If you look at all the past great empires they have been growing larger yet lasting shorter periods of time. History repeats itself to an uncanny degree.

You could also view television as a logical development towards population control, and I don't mean the depleted-plutonium sort of population control. Populations have exploded in the 20th century, and with more people comes more stress and less jobs and more individuals that need to have something to keep their attention. Unfortunatly, not everyone can read Shakespeare and not everyone that does gets the same thing out of it. Television merely fills those gaps during the day when a person isn't working, sleeping, fucking, or eating. You could see the subduing of the population as one of the few things that is keeping us from total chaos out of boredom.

Not to say that I don't think the absolute lowest of my television, it's fucking crap and nearly everything on it is a waste of seconds.

That's one of the reasons that I think the internet is getting exponentially more popular as a device for entertainment, too. Mainly because it allows even the stupidest people the ability to send back communique. Television does not allow this and in it's current form it never will. This is why ratings are lower than ever; the top-rated program of today, American Idol, gets about 27-30 million viewers, whereas top-rated programs from the 70's--Dallas--got 60 million.

It's a fucking mess right now, but the internet could help towards making people more intelligent as well as being their visual opiate. Even the dumb little girls and boys that sit around and talk in AOL-speak about N'SYNC and flash their underage tits on Myspace will actually be able to communicate. They'll learn their lessons a lot quicker than they would otherwise, now they can do this stupid shit and everyone can see it and hopefully tear them to shreds for it.

Wikipedia gives me so much hope, because in the space of about a year and a half it has become this incredible resource of knowledge that could never be superseded by any print-form encyclopedia. It's sad to see that sort of thing go out, but they were expensive and quickly became out-dated. I can type in "vBulletin" and get a fairly detailed description and history. I can read about string theory in generalized terms with the click of a button.

They are workin hard to constrict the internet though. Look to all the net nuetrality stuff thats going on. The government is definitely working to make it so that the telco's can restrict bandwidth to websites unless one pays for the equal access.

I think it's about controlling the information. Who is to stop the gov from providing funds to the telcos for always restricting the bandwidth to "problem" websites? I can only concieve that they will do this if not now.

i need to talk to my academic advising office at school. ill be back in a bit. i have some more to say on this.

Yeah, all this net neutrality service is making me sick along with really worried. Look at ytmnd, for instance. That dude Max Goldberg who runs it just made a post about how he has a 16,000 bill for bandwidth. Net neutrality will only push this number up and poof, all non-corporate backed sites will be offline. Not good, not good.

For Americans only:

The matter. Listen, the matter is created by the ruling elite (government), and dictated by the corporate/private financial backers. Once you've come this far, in terms of being disenchanted with the current system, it's time to understand what really runs the world. That is money.

What can we do about it? Well, Howard Dean - despite the scream - is, in my opinion, a solid reformer of Campaign Finance Reform. The trick is to know your enemy, and corporate lobbying is the enemy of democracy. So kill it.

“Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power”

-Benito Mussolini

one of the greatest tactics that is placed upon the people (especially within our country) is divide and conquer. that and a healthy dosage of infotainment that has no real value to a progressive and healthy state of mind/life and continues to dumb down and marginalize the population. it seems the newer the generation, the more street smarts they have, and the less they know about important issues that may shape their very lives.

people these days are so busy with their day to day lives that it is next to impossible to focus or understand what the politicians that "represent" them are doing with their votes (if they even vote) and money. many people are apathetic even. this leads to uncontrolled power which leads to huge megoliths that battle for things like "net neutrality", etc. the net is one of the last frontiers on which people can get an uncensored view on the world. and its in realtime which is vital in these days.

the media is like a field full of landmines, only a select few spots where you will not be blown to kingdom come. even the most trusted of sources tend to omit topics or certain conversations based on what is deemed "appropriate". many people with all they have to deal with on a regular basis dont have enough brain juice left at the end of the day to decipher who is telling the truth and end up vying either for the nightly news, Survivor or ESPN.

things are happening right under our noses that are undermining our very way of life. but because most are so disconnected from the truth (usually cause theyre too busy or because theyre too with fantasy football), they will argue that those who try to bring this information to light are traitors or crazy. the intelligent are more armed than ever with information and facts, however, the ignorant are more stubborn than ever; and the evil - more evil by the corrupting minute.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now