ARTQUOTESYOUMAYGIVEASHITABOUT ORMAYBENOTICOULDGIVEARATSHINEY

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

ARTQUOTESYOUMAYGIVEASHITABOUTORMAYBENOTICOULDGIVEARATSHINEY

"...the object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same

intensity." ~ Alberto Giacometti

"The best reason to paint is that there is no reason to paint....I'd like to pretend that I've

never seen anything, never read anything, never heard anything...and then make

something....Every time I make something I think about the people who are going to see

it and every time I see something, I think about the person who made it....Nothing is

important...so everything is important."

~ Keith Haring (June 15, 1986 NYC)

"I paint in order not to cry." ~ Paul Klee

"Art is a lie that helps us to realize the truth." ~ Pablo Picasso

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a

child." ~ Pablo Picasso

"What good are computers? They can only give you answers."

~ Pablo Picasso

"Art is like recess for the mind." ~ a second grader

and the killer:

"The function of Art is to disturb. Science reassures." ~ George Braque

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

more....add if you like....

"The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery." ~ Francis Bacon

"What is real is not the external form, but the essence of things . . . it is impossible for

anyone to express anything essentially real by imitating its exterior surface."

~ Brancusi

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."

~ Salvador Dali (as much as i dislike dali, this is a primo quote)

"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things." ~

Edgar Degas

"Painting is easy for those that do not know how, but very difficult for

those that do!" ~ Edgar Degas (haha..)

"Artists who seek perfection in everything are those who cannot attain it in anything." ~

Eugene Delacroix

"The big artist...keeps an eye on nature and steals her tools."

~Thomas Eakins

"Words pervert thoughts, writing distorts words." ~Giacometti

and the killer:

"The scholar specializing in any field will find that the more one knows,

the more one has to learn, and never should one hope to reach full knowledge,

besides, full knowledge would be death itself." ~Alberto Giacometti

Guest imported_Tesseract

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The function of Art is to disturb. Science reassures." ~ George Braque

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really hate Braque for saying things like that.

Good thread.

excellent, there were a few in there that i've always gone by. heres a new one. and very on point lately for me personally

"Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things." ~

Edgar Degas

Re: ARTQUOTESYOUMAYGIVEASHITABOUTORMAYBENOTICOULDGIVEARATSHINEY

Originally posted by BROWNer

[b

"I paint in order not to cry." ~ Paul Klee

[/b]

ahhh. one of the more compelling reasons...

i love paul klee. even though he was semi-old when he died, it was a shame that he died so early. he was still going places. all the later work so dark and scary. still great though. humph. i dig, par usual, brown man.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Time, Gentlemen, Please,

The traditional cry ïf the English pub landlord at closing time, 'Time, gentlemen, please!',

is here taken by Kokoschka to signify the approach ïf death. The painter has just answered a knock ïn the door; it is Death, a bearded ancient who steps inside with his hands still ïn the door-bolt. The recipient ïf the summons turns his face away; he stares out at the viewer, startled by the suddenness ïf dying.

The wild brushwork and the expressive colour are characterstic ïf Kokoschka's late work. The physiognomy, too, quickly and roughly built up in a few brushstrokes, and overwhelmingly expressive, is a mark of the very last Ñeriïd in Kokoschka's career. Kokoschka painted this picture at the age of eighty-five. It is his last self-portrait. and in a sense his last word as an artist.

browner i demand(politely ofcourse) that you come to CT ASAP...why?, well we have important things to discuss, music to swap, theorires to explore, walls to be painted(leaf fills), bridges to meditate under, coffee to drink/chess to play, the ruins of old new england barns to photograph, and now especially of importance is the Alberto Giacometti exhibit at the Modern Museum of Art in nyc...his theories and scupltures flip me on my head and drop me through this dimensional floor....ill pick you up at the train station on friday say around six...splendid...expect lots of work, these are serious times and serious issues....rOe

all of these quotes are taken from http://www.warhol.dk/

whenever i need to laugh i go here and read warhol quotes

i cant believe the things this guy said:

I want to invent a new kind fast food, and I was thinking, what about a waffle thing that had the food on one side and the drink on the other - like ham and Coke? You could eat and drink at the same time.

And you know, I was thinking the other day about commercial movies and then all the great art movies, and I've decided something: Commercial things really do stink. As soon as it becomes commercial for a mass market it really stinks. I know I always rave and say my favorite movies are things like The Other Side of Midnight and The Betsy, but I guess I'm going to change my tune. You have to do stuff that average people don't understand, because those are the only good things. And even though the arty foreign movies are boring to sit through, at least they try to do creative things. So I'm going to start going to the New Yorker and seeing strange movies again. I'm missing so much, going to parties.

Victor gave me a call and said that he'd been with some Amsterdam boys and that everybody's afraid of getting the gay cancer so now they fuck with theirbig toe. Now it's (laughs) whoever has the biggest toe. He said, "It's wild."

Entertainment Tonight got me on the way in and asked me who I voted for and I said, "For the winner," and they said, "Who's that?" and I said, "The winner is the winner."

I don't even know what I meant. If they ever put all the clips they've ever gotten of me together they'd see that I'm a moron and finally stop asking me questions.

Machine's have less problems. I'd like to be a machine, wouldn't you ?

I like boring things.

I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic.

Tab Hunter should star in a movie of my life. People would be much happier imagining that I was as handsome as that. I mean, the real Bonnie and Clyde sure didn't look like Faye and Warren. Who want's the truth? That's what show business is for, to prove that it's not what you are that counts, it's what they think you are.

and the best thing is these have'nt got anything to do with art.and many more to be had.warhol is hilarious to me.a great artist but a silly person.

Originally posted by Rodney Trotter

"Fuck art, let's fuck!"

I don't know who said it, but it sounds good to me! :crazy:

i love sex....

"art is vice. you don't marry it legitimately, you rape it"-Degas

"why don't they stick to murder and leave the art to us?"-Jacob Epstein

British sculptor

"art for art's sake"

"art is born of humiliation"-W.H. Auden

"the opposite of art is indifference"-i'm not sure who said this but it seems true if you think about it...what really is the opposite of art? it's not evoking any feelings nice or naughty...or indifference

Guest BROWNer

roe, heh, i heard about that exhibition...you're planning to go?

green with envy...

new england barn ruins? fuck...that sounds awesome...

..........it would be nice to go for a trip..one day ]?[

Guest Pilau Hands
...we have important things to discuss, music to swap, theorires to explore, walls to be painted(leaf fills), bridges to meditate under, coffee to drink/chess to play, the ruins of old new england barns to photograph, and now especially of importance is the Alberto Giacometti exhibit at the Modern Museum of Art in nyc...

damn can I get in on that? I have some live pj and radiohead...i've yet to make a leaf stencil for fills, but it's gonna happen...i like tea and suck at chess...and i need photos of old barns for a project...

i'm your man coach! send me in!

as for the Giacometti exhibit, it's well worth the trip. come down and check it out man, you won't be disappointed. the drawings and paintings alone hit me on the ass. Tom Friedman stuff is also at the NewMuseum right now, and that guy gets a gold star from me!

might paint in ct this weekend, dunno. will be in touch,

the gatherer

"I have some live pj and radiohead"

HAHAHAHA ya bastard! youll be fully stacked soon, xmas remember(collection of pj xmas singles just in time, shhhh, dont wanna give a way to much), and all i gotta say is pearl jam 98, MSG, they play "breath" for the first time in 5 years, ouch, and ben harper comes out and sings "indifference" eddie for the encore...soon hands, soooooooooon.....those crazy aliens keep abducting me and flying me off to their mother planet, i cant get any work done....i know i know its beyond the ridiculous...

....awwww man i wish i knew you had gone hands i woulda bounced into the city to check it out with ya...that woulda been fun.. also wouldnt mind seeing that tiny cycle show either, i heard it only six canvases, but whatever...hands perhaps you should check out that brad meldhau(village vanguard) show, as you should too brown and you too beards....do you really need a flick of a barn, lemme know, i might be able to dig one up and half your cds if you come by my way....

i got lots of quotes of artist at home...ill be back...some mondrian for beards....and some pablo for browner....

ps ps ps- brown do yourself a flavor favor and get the new live radiohead album...its called i might be wrong, only 8 songs, dont know when ill get cds for ya, but ya gotta do your ears a favor....

the hunter to hands gatherer

Guest Pilau Hands
stencils?

i'm not what you would call...good. besides if i could keep my cans from sputtering perhaps i'd be cleaner, but i digress. i like the sharpness stencils provide

roe, yes i do need many pictures of barns. as much as you can spare! it doesn't matter if it's multiple shots of one barn. preferrably in sunlight. i'll pay for developing!

beard, i'll be in touch

same bat-time, same bat-channel?

Guest BROWNer

heh...pilau.....man, you are probably much cleaner than i....

i couldn't paint a bunch of realistic looking leaves if i wanted too..

no stencils..i employ paste and the real thing:cool:

hence 'leaf fills'.

Guest Pilau Hands

ah i also thought of doing that!!!

i don't know if i have enough maple leaves saved up to import as a fill though...plus i'll need some spray adhesive...hmmmm

Guest BROWNer

hee...this is what i do....

walk up to your spot, figure out what you're painting....

outline, fill, whatever..

then...whip out your pail of paste and slather it on your selected leaf area....

then depending where your spot is, you should be able

to just grab a few arm fulls of leaves off the ground and

then throw them at the pasted area in a haphazard spazz off...

after that, you can just delicately place leafs in the remaining

'holes' showing through........

this way you're 'getting back to nature'....and having fun being

a total retard:o

you can take it even further....but it gets even more retarded.

forget even bringing paint....just bring your paste and use

whatever detritus is about.....its worked good for me:o

"i brown things."~ BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

nice tearz....i have to say i'm not the hugest klee guy, but

those last 2 definitely tweak my taste buds.....and some sections

of the others i like as well.

the last one is strange....i like it. keep em'..

without getting too acdemic-ky... one of the really appealingthings about him is that his work is so much broader than the way he is historicized. people tend to know his "trademark" things i.e. the fish and a few others and think they've got him on lock. but a lot of his work is real different than the trademark stuff... it's like people that own the legend album and think they know bob marley's music. "oh yeah, i shot the sherriff and one love, dude" when those are his burger songs...to me... i don't know, bad example. you know what i'm getting at. he's worth another look i think. (not you personally, i don't know how much you've checked him out- i'm talking about on an art history/appreciation level)...

just a few more, then i'll stop i promise

http://www.fasvs.pt/images/pklee03.JPG'>

http://www.andante.com/images/aboutus/kleeplaying.jpg'>

here he is playing. peep this...

" Polyphony certainly exists in the musical domain. The attempt to transpose this form in the visual domain would be in itself unremarkable. But, to use the discoveries that music has revealed in a particular way in certain polyphonic masterpieces, to penetrate deeply in this cosmic-like sphere, to emerge with a new vision of art and follow the evolution of these new acquisitions in the field of visual representation, is already much better. The simultaneity of several independent themes constitutes a reality which does not exist solely in music - likewise, the coincidence of all essential aspects of a reality in a single instance - it has its foundation and its roots in any phenomena everywhere." (Paul Klee)

http://www.lwl.org/landesmuseum/kdm/moderne/90_12_klee/abb_01_lo.jpg'>

http://br.geocities.com/gisabeavis/kleesig.jpg'>

Archived