boogie hands friday consumer report: the "itrip"...

boogie hands

...is a fucking $50 dollar piece of shit. supposedly the "itrip" pugs into your ipod and then broadcasts the music over any available FM frequency. awesome right? no more cds sliding around my car...just my sleek ipod nano and 1000 songs. yeah....not happening. they did a great job with the sleek design (see picture below) and the "itrip" does indeed plug into your ipod but thats where the features for this heaping piece of shit end. this thing "broadcasts" a signal thats so weak your songs are accompanied by hissing and various cracks. if any of you have record players, take the needle off, tape it to your dogs foot and let him run around the kitchen for 30 minutes, then put it back on the tonearm and play a record....thats the quality of the "itrip". "but dont worry" the box tells me "even in the most crowded city you can still get crystal clear sound by switching your itrip to mono". fucking mono? let me tell you something itrip...mono flew when televisions had one fucking speaker. thats what mono was designed. what mono was not designed for was albums made by audiophiles and played through my car with 6 fucking speakers. anyway....i know $50 isnt that much money but seriously, they should sell itrips at fucking gas stations for $15 and thats it.

prod_itripnano_main.jpg

if i had photoshop and the technical ability of your average 15 year old i would photoshop "is fucking garbage" where the blue letters are.

p.s.- this is what comes up when you google image "dude, thats a rant and a half. do you realize how long its going to take someone on an 8th grade reading level to get through."

grassyknoll_incoming.jpg

yeah. once again nothing came up for the orignial serch so i just typed in "friday" because it is indeed friday and if i was self employed i would blow through my work load in an hour and drink champagne for the rest of the day. anyway. this image is from friday-night-gaming.com. im going to save us all some time and just leave it at this. look at the url and what it implies and then come up with some highly judgemental rant about people with no social lives being akin to people who are obese and just keep eating. there. we are done.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

mmm... champagne.

I'm thinking next week you should move this to thursday.

I almost wish we had a weekly update on every day of the week.

Like how mamski (I see you readin this) used to do the song of the week

and I used to do the 'weekend recap' on mondays.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

I got the one that plugs into your tape deck (Yes, I got a tape player in my car. Thanks VW)

5b_2.jpg

Works fine and I get no bad reception. Fuck the Fm transmitter

I remeber like a decade ago in my Dad's Mazda there was a mini-jack input on the tape deck so you could plug in a discman.

Then they started making cd plaers for cars people could afford, so they dropped the mini-jack.

Well now it's back like it's some new discovery. Way to market the same old shit guys!

Well now it's back like it's some new discovery. Way to market the same old shit guys!

When I first got an Ipod, I was usin that shit. I never understood why people were caughin up the mad dollars for the itrip shit.

Alas I win. However, my ipod was stolen and now I lose.

so some imports (honda, toyota, bmw, VW, subaru, etc) are now making an ipod adapter to the factory stereo a standard feature on their cars.

I haven't actually seen one of these yet, but its apparently available on 2007 models, and the car I'm in the middle of shopping for comes with this feature.

What I'm hoping for is a spot on the console that the ipod physically plugs into, and not some shit where there is a cable going from ipod to stereo ... it sounds pretty tits to me

I've had an FM transmitter for my ipod for the last couple years, I didn't go with iTrip though, I bought one called AirPlay made by extreme-mac... and no matter where I went I got that hissing

I bought this piece of shit, thinking it would be nice to charge my iPod while playing music:

griffin-itrip-auto.jpg

The sound quality was fucking terrible. I sold it to someone who's probably pissed off that they spent money on such a piece of shit.

Yea, i bought this piece of shit too, right after my tape player broke. Shit was 80$. I promptly returned it and bought one of the sony decks with a 1/8 inch jack aux. Much better, and only like 60$ more.

Guest R@ndomH3ro
i'm thinkin to myself "fuck that shit, just get a tape deck adapter." it didn't dawn on me until getting to this post, that tape decks in cars are indeed a thing of the past. then i realized how old my car is, how poor i am, how many bills i need to pay, and how i won't be able to afford a new whip until i'm 50.

thanx!

My car is only 3 years old. I got a 2003 VW, its got a cd player but also a tape deck. I think VW knows that them FM transmitters suck. Also while browsing through Best Buy some third party decks have a IPOD adapter to go with them, some have a USB port. But they are kind of pricey. Thanks to VW I spent 7 dollars on the tape connecter.

I'd perfer it wasn't ipod specific. not everyone is on the mac balzac.

Word, I think I'm gonna hold out replacing my stolen ipod with the, dare i say it, Microsoft one. It looks good and they are willing to pay the transfer costs for all the proprietary songs that Mac has been holding hostage. So that would be pretty nice. Cus then, not only would I have it not as stupid Mp4a, but could then transfer it later without having to deal with Mac proprietary software, eg Itunes.

The dodge calibre has a commercial playing right now and it shows a girl driving the car listening to an ipod and its plugged into her dash with what looks like a USB adapter.

I'm hoping this isn't the case with the built-in from factory ipod adapter ... I am hoping for something more along the lines of what XM radio is like. A spot on the console where you can physically remove the radio and insert it back in...

and sorry rummy, from what I've seen it's iPod only (which is why I'm hoping its not just a USB cable running out of the stereo)

edit: Crooked, that new microsoft one is pretty much all-media, not just mp3. It's supposed to be comparable to the PSP ... a portable xbox

Weird. I had an iTrip for a year and a half and my music sounded fine. The only issue I had was I had to replace the first one, but thats mostly because I had got it off a friend who abused the shit out of everything he owns. Did you make sure your volume on the ipod was turned up enough? I have a different friend who owns an iTrip and he always has that shit real low but then proceeds to rant viciously about how it sucks.

Also, much like how cassette adapters have been around forever, theres fm transmitters you can buy that plug right into your ac and are way cheaper and work better than the itrip.

This right here, is the fucking biz and a half.

Alright, since everyone decided to ignore my post, here it is in hi-res:

Drive_PlayComplete_965.jpg

Get this shit, and stop whining.

Ignore the crazy diagram, this shit is stupid easy to set up. Unless you have a shitty head unit with no AUX adapter, which would render you unworthy of the illness.