Why Do I Live On The Internet?

Mainter

There are people all over the world who use the anonimity that internet gives them to lie about themselves. Why is it so? I don't mean small lies when someone just exaggerates things a little but serious and unnecesary lies. When you believe in people who might have even changed your life and with whom you shared your secrets and then one day they just go wild and it turns out that everything they said was a lie.

discuss

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Why Do We Lie On The Internet?

I'm actually a lot more chill and less prone to shit-talking in real-life although spectre might debate this (your friend was lucky he didn't get clobbered)

12oz is a great outlet for me

I'm pretty much on the same page as well. Quieter in real life and more laid back, but that is mainly due to social apathy more than anything else. Here I can engage people on my own schedule, and am more likely to talk as a result.

As far as making up huge lies, I would assume compensation for their poorly managed 'real' life.

-when you think about it...it's a lot like "road rage". (the internet lies)

when people are in their cars they feel protected, like theyre in their own little bubble and shit. we (car drivers) also dont usually have the oportunity to make eye contact with another driver when little shit happens, i.e. getting cut off, or someone tailgating them, so they run at the mouth and start beef. when, in reality, if that same person were walking down the street and accidentally got bumped by another pedestrian the simple act of looking someone in the eye is enough of an apology in most cases.

so it comes back to the fact that most humans are cowards and count on anonymity to get through their worthless, yellow lives.

hence: internet lies...as well as most "road rage" cases in general.

I almost said the same thing^^^(Count Chocula). It's because 90% of the time there is really no consequence for lying online, as well. Just register a new screen name. There is also the aspect of social interaction occuring but in limited scale (no body language, tone, etc.). I think that most people tend to assume the worst in others and react accordingly, so when some insignificant shit goes down they blow it out of proportion.