831 cali

meanone

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Nice to take a moment and chat with you. First off, what do you write and what crews are you in?

I write Bobkat FTL. Bkat, Bobcat, all the same person in case anybody out there is confused.

How did you get into graffiti and how long have you been doing it?

I got into graffiti because I liked vandalizing and mischief just like any other teenager. I started writing in 1998, painting this local water tower with my best friend Cue Lib Um back when we were in high school. We would just strike up there and paint that place everyday after school; mostly rocking a bunch of toy nonsense but it definitely was fun and helped pave the way for the next 10 years. We did that until we had to get jobs, then the next few years went by painting a little bit, once a week if we were lucky, while still going through a slew of different names. When I moved to LA in 2005 I started writing Bobkat. I hit a few spots, but nothing worth mentioning. Then I moved back to the bay in 2006 and have painting trains since then, not really taking it seriously until 07’ and here I am today completely infected.

Where do you get your style from?

I get my style from the most basic of letter forms; something that I think is the staple of FTL graffiti. We want our graffiti to be completely legible for anybody; whether you are an experienced writer or a grandma. That way, our names will be read, and hopefully remembered. I went through all different kinds of crazy, wacky, letter forms and in the end realized that I want my graffiti to be readable, like an old sign painting. Blocks, throws, straight letters, leaners, tags, with your occasional wildstyle burner or whatever you wanna call it. Raw, in your face graffiti. My style is something that I’ve found after painting hundreds of hundreds of trains mixed with the influence I’ve been given by CIV and the guys in FTL.

What do you think about the freight scene right now? What do you think about people going bigger and bigger and bigger going over any panel because that's their only option?

I love the freight scene! There is nothing like a fat layup ready to be feasted on! I live for it! I try not to concern myself with anybody but my crew and the few friends I’ve been painting with for years. If people let the things they don’t like about the scene get under their skin then they are losing the game because there is nothing you can do about things you cannot control. Just paint. If you have ups, and whatever is on the panel is toy, then why should it run? This goes for any writer. As long as you can handle it, then it should be fine. Just be respectful and cover that whole panel. 75% of people who paint or who have painted trains had their little go at and then life took over and they were done for. Why should they get to run? There are too many people putting in work now days so if its weak and you can burn it why not? But, they need to be ready to handle their business if anybody wants to retaliate and I do think you had better burn whatever you are going over. But what gets burned nowadays is a matter opinion right? Some wacky hipster nonsense over a perfect straight letter could look totally awesome to some idiot who’s out his mind but that’s just my opinion right? It’s just a matter of more because whoever has more gets to go over somebody who painted for 2 years and quit.

What’s new in the bay? Who is really doing it right now?

The bay is cool. I love it here. As far what’s new I’m not really sure. It seems like there are a handful of writers painting, all from a few crews that have all been painting for years. But it’s hard to be "new" these days with graffiti. Iksoe and Muerte are definitely crushing. I don’t know, the bay is definitely up for grabs in 09. Nobody is really doing it. Everyone can work harder.

You are in FTL with some bay area legends such as Iksoe, Gun and more, how does it feel to be painting with cats on that level?

I feel honored and proud to be in FTL. I remember seeing perfect Ver, Gun, Civ, and War throwies on the scene back when I first started writing in 98’. Iksoe and Kady all over, FTL blockbusters. I would have never thought that 10 years later I’d be in the crew, getting pointers and advice from some real graffiti writers. My graff has definitely become better because of painting with Civ and Iksoe and I look forward to learning more from them and everyone else who has a new technique I don’t know about.

You have any close call stories that are worth mentioning? Crazy bar fights?

I’ve been really fortunate in that category, and while you’re at the bar, I’m painting a train.

Do you have any projects that you are currently working on?

Tattooing, but that’s a whole other animal.

What can we expect to see coming from your way in the near future?

I just plan on painting a lot of throw ups and big trains, with your occasional street shot consistently until I am no longer fulfilled with that endeavor. A lot of throw ups on trains that’s for sure.

Top five albums in rotation?

UGK, South Park Mexican, 3 Inches of Blood, Hank Williams I, Waylon Jennings

Any words of advice to the randoms coming in the yard and disrespecting it?

I don’t give advice to idiots, but if you want your yard to have longevity just keep the fucker clean, no paint cans, beer cans, whatever. Just respect the places you frequent. don’t tag up all the surrounding entrances and buildings, try not to go over the numbers so the train workers aren’t all bent outta shape when you made their job a pain in the ass. And try not to be seen going in and out or else you’re asking for heat. Its all common sense and respect. People that paint where I paint are chill about that shit though because when it comes down to brass tacks we all just want to paint.

You got any shout outs or fuck yous?

Respect to everybody in FTL, especially Civ for being a young cats graffiti mentor. Cue LIB UM, Sworne LIB UM, Salem 632, my good friend Tom drivin’ the Amtrak, and my woman for holding me down when I get mainey.