getting paid from your graff skills

Dawood

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Just practice, go to dick blick art supplies, or your local sign supplier and get a mack striping brush, its good to learn how to hand letter with a brush first though , grab a chiseled brush and some one shot and practice.

Can someone post some pinstriping that they see around, it would be cool to see striping and lettering from other parts of the country, thanks

Just got em yesterday..I mean serious Business playa..Give me bout 2 weeks..:) ...I got sum good tips from a friend of mine..

DSC00222.jpg

Dawood..Thats sum good shit..

i think it's cool as long as you're keeping that seperation involved. as long as you aren't trying to make money off of the aerosol culture style of writing then that's cool. it sucks how some kids who haven't even paid dues for shit and have no knowledge of where this artform comes from in the first place just try to go out and make money off of this shit. even some more experienced writers that sell out their whole fuckin history and all the dues they've paid to make money off of the spraypainting skills they developed instead of keeping it real n staying true and finding something else they could make a hustle out of that may or may not be art-related.

Here in Oakland we have youngstas that have painted a piece or 2 and are makin shitload of money doin murals..No hate cause I respect everyone's hustle, but I do hate that sum of us are still tryin to put a descent type amount of Damage, Work whatever you wanna call it whether if its legal walls, bombin or yard work... Those same kids are attending a Graffiti class (no bullshit) and dude helps these kids build a Portfolio with their so call work in it..So now them kids are goin around gettin paid 3 to 5 G's for their work..Like I said dont get me wrong I aint hatin, but its not fair that niggas go to school to learn how to use a can and making that kind of money..Makes me wanna go to that Graff class..Shit..

Lets not get off track and keep up with this thread..Good work everyone...

Here in Oakland we have youngstas that have painted a piece or 2 and are makin shitload of money doin murals..No hate cause I respect everyone's hustle, but I do hate that sum of us are still tryin to put a descent type amount of Damage, Work whatever you wanna call it whether if its legal walls, bombin or yard work... Those same kids are attending a Graffiti class (no bullshit) and dude helps these kids build a Portfolio with their so call work in it..So now them kids are goin around gettin paid 3 to 5 G's for their work..Like I said dont get me wrong I aint hatin, but its not fair that niggas go to school to learn how to use a can and making that kind of money..Makes me wanna go to that Graff class..Shit..

Lets not get off track and keep up with this thread..Good work everyone...

I think the Boston Museum of Arts School offered a graffiti class, not sure if they still do, shit was ridiculous (and not like fresh ridiculous, but ridiculous ridiculous)

i think it's cool as long as you're keeping that seperation involved. as long as you aren't trying to make money off of the aerosol culture style of writing then that's cool. it sucks how some kids who haven't even paid dues for shit and have no knowledge of where this artform comes from in the first place just try to go out and make money off of this shit. even some more experienced writers that sell out their whole fuckin history and all the dues they've paid to make money off of the spraypainting skills they developed instead of keeping it real n staying true and finding something else they could make a hustle out of that may or may not be art-related.

You still flippin' burgers? grow up, kid.

that, to me, is wack as fuck. mothafuckas havent even bombed or paid any dues and dont know anything about aerosol culture and just go attend a graff class and then make money off what we do.

fuckin retarded.

Keep up the hustle guys. I dont really consider this selling out at all. I mean your doing what you love and making some cash while honing your skills further. I myself make some extra flow off my art, but i always have since i was a wee lad.

I have been writing since I was 9. I'm now 33. I don't give a shit about anything called "aerosol culture". I do however give a shit about not living in a shitty apartment for the rest of my life. If you have talent for something and it can help you pay some fucking bills, go do that shit.

I mean don't be walking around talking about being some old school kind of you weren't but it beats a shitty job you hate anyday.

dawood you need to keep it real. sligin your graff skills witout paying dues is sellin out

word.

note bboy pose

Ha, Ha, he said, keep it real and pay your dues in the same sentence, you should make that a song. Act like you know, I was rockin fillins on billboards when you were knee high to a hockey puck. somebody clue this kid in.

I have been writing since I was 9. I'm now 33. I don't give a shit about anything called "aerosol culture". I do however give a shit about not living in a shitty apartment for the rest of my life. If you have talent for something and it can help you pay some fucking bills, go do that shit.

I mean don't be walking around talking about being some old school kind of you weren't but it beats a shitty job you hate anyday.

some of these guys are rookies and it's natural that they'll have a rookie perspective on things , when you've been writing for over 20 years you look at things a lot different than these new guys coming up who care what people think of their ass letter structure and doogie howser styles.

OOOOH! my bee!

yeah. I got that.....45897564576405 trucker hats in my trunk and and a bottle of spray on shelltoe cologne, kid, I'm chillin' at the g board all day. Look there's my main man Byg from Bluehill, I know he got the Cheeba cheeba, Mang. Keepin' it real, ha, ha. Don't get it twysted. !

dont get me wrong, i like how you are doing that business store front style lettering. the thing that i personally dislike is how kids are painting some stupid ass shit, havent even paid dues or even bombed, and making money off the style of letters without even knowing anything about where it comes from in the first place. even those that sell out the skill and style in aerosol writing that they developed to appeal to the demand of these trendy ass suckers just to make a buck.

there's a whole dedication to this artform that burnt out tired motha fuckas have lost the sense of where it isn't and never was about money in the first place. fuck the exploitation. mothafuckas these days think they aint legit unless they make bread off of the shit they do, and if you think that then you need to check yourself.

who needs a fuckin job spray painting shit for corporations to develop and hone your skills and "talent" for money? you were suppose to be developing that shit way before then and have been developed it out there bombing and piecin, paying dues.

can i just chime in and say that dawood has more than paid his dues, and is closer to where it came from than to where it is now......

mothafuckas these days think they aint legit unless they make bread off of the shit they do, and if you think that then you need to check yourself.

and one things for sure about this shit: youre not feeding your family if youre not getting paid of the shit you do.... and if you aint feedin your family, you need to check yourself.....

The thing young kids don't seem to understand is "keeping it real" to me means not living like a fucking bum when I'm 30. It means Owning a house at some point because paying rent to some shit bag is certainly NOT keeping it real for me. Keeping it real means fuck trying to squeeze by on a shit wage at a job I don't like when I have a skill that already been honed with years of experience that I like, so why nopt utilise that to make ends meet? Thats like saying I'm real good at Basketball, but I should definitely work in computer instead because the kids I run ball with would call me a sell out.

My remaining punk rock ethics and the years I put in doing graff related activities have acted as my schooling. So why not use that to better my situation. It's not selling out. This is the real "keeping it real" not cheating yourself on your own talent that was built on years of hard work and edication. You should be making money of your talents. You shouldn't be screwing people out of money for no talent, and you shouldn't be screwing your peers out of jobs. But by all means, if you worked for it, then you should reap the rewards.

not to mention that I get up every morning looking forward to a day at work. I absolutely love what I do for a living and the only thing I would change about it would be that i was doing better stuff and making more money at it. (that, my friends is called progression) And progression is a reality. I don't encourage anyone to insert imaginary "keep it real" barriers in front of themselves and success. If a writer is good with design and he's getting paid doing the next method Man and Ghostface CD cover using his handstyle am I mad at him? HELL NO. If he's a nobody who never got up, then I might have something to say about it, call him a perpertrator and move on with my day, so your point is taken '93TIL. But, in my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting paid off your graff skills. That is.......as long as you HAVE skills, if not, then youre just a hack.