getting paid from your graff skills

Dawood

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you approach the businesses? what kind of work (legal, illegal or other) do you show them as a reference? or do you usually know the owners already? just curious how youd present graffiti skills to a business owner who might not dig graffiti in the first place.

from the activity in this thread it looks like there's not too many writers on the graff hustle.

Well, here's a few more. Post some more if you got em nomak, and I know there gotta be more cat's rockin' bodega walls around the way or something.

2694029_348.ts1152999415601.jpg

2694032_348.ts1152999424570.jpg

oh, my bad.

I approach businesses DEFINATELY NOT as a graff writer or even as an artist.

I approach as a sign painter/mural painter advertising company. I have

business cards, invoices, etc. etc. I actually do this full time.

The best thing to do is build up your portfolio with as many different

types of businesses as possible so when you do a certain type of job you can

go to similar places and try to duplicate what you did somewhere else.

As for $$$, then that varies but I got $1285 for the caddy job.

I got $785 + 200 free food for the schlotskys job.

those wooden signs I build for $400 then paint for $125 each time they want to change it.

theres definately a market out there for graff skills.

The most important thing you can have is determination though.

check my site. I'm getting ready to update it .

http://www.signscientist.com

here's a photo site I've been working on

http://www.signscientist.photosite.com/

oh, my bad.

those wooden signs I build for $400 then paint for $125 each time they want to change it.

dude, i really appreciate this info. you have some nice work on your site too (thought the "about us" section was kinda funny). ive been noodling with the idea of doing this for quite a while now cause im so sick of the 9-5 bs, but i dont have a large portfolio so im working on that. also, is that OneShot your using on the windows?

dude' date=' i really appreciate this info. you have some nice work on your site too (thought the "about us" section was kinda funny). ive been noodling with the idea of doing this for quite a while now cause im so sick of the 9-5 bs, but i dont have a large portfolio so im working on that. also, is that OneShot your using on the windows?[/quote']

Thanks,

yeah, I'm thinking of changing the about us section. I'd definately say if you got the skills , do it. No doubt, It;s all about being independent and doing what you love. I haven't worked a 9-5 in over 10 years.

I use one shot once in a blue moon, man. One shot is expensive and it is more for permanent jobs, not for quicky window splash jobs. I use semi or hi gloss acrylic latex.

Benjamin Moore and Porter paints are the best in my opinion, but I use the Lowes 10.99 a gal. paint for super temporary stuff. I only use One shot on windows if there is a problem with latex adhesion.

alright, alright, your giving me some very valuable info here.

if i could throw another query your way, when you first started up how did you go about putting together a portfolio? my thing is i have no experience with paid jobs and i dont want to put graffiti (even legal work, cause its just pieces anyways) in my portfolio so im wondering how to go about it. my idea was to try to get places like non-profits, Salvation Army, etc. to let me do their painting for free just for the experience and then try to build one from there. once i have a few under my belt i figured id be ready to rock. any thoughts on this?

much thanks again.

oh, my bad.

sounds like a fun job

alright, alright, your giving me some very valuable info here.

if i could throw another query your way, when you first started up how did you go about putting together a portfolio? my thing is i have no experience with paid jobs and i dont want to put graffiti (even legal work, cause its just pieces anyways) in my portfolio so im wondering how to go about it. my idea was to try to get places like non-profits, Salvation Army, etc. to let me do their painting for free just for the experience and then try to build one from there. once i have a few under my belt i figured id be ready to rock. any thoughts on this?

much thanks again.

OK, True story.

I worked at home depot for about 2 years. One day I approached my boss and asked him if I could paint the homer guy on the wall from one of the brochures they had. I told him I wouldn't charge him except that I could use their paint and I could be on the clock while I did it. I convinced him that he didn't have much to lose because If it looked horrible I would paint over it, but I assured him I could do a proffessional job. So I did it and a week later there was district meeting where all the managers from every store (about 30 or so) came to our store and they all loved it. So I was hired to paint every Home Depot in my area and then in a whole other district. I painted a LOT of Home depots for $350-$425 a pop depending on how far I had to go.

So anyway, At that point I figured I could do this full time, I had already been painting neighborhood bodega/soul food joints/hip hop gear shops so I had a little portfolio.

Best thing is to hit spots in your neighborhood. People who know you got skills. I always had a rep for being the ill graf cat in my city so, it wasn't hard to get lil side jobs all the time.

I would recommend keeping whatever job you have for now until you feel comfortable enough to make that leap (or until you get fired because you hate your job and you know you can do better elsewhwere)

I eventually got canned from Home Depot and that's when I started my business. I did Tattoos for a while but that wasn't for me and then I started my sign gig.

It is a fun Job, after work I can paint a peice with the leftover paint or vice versa, I can make some ends from scrap paint off the peice I rocked a few days ago.

i remember wanting to paint that little Home Depot guy. kinda reminds me of a buff guy character Cycle did next to one of his pieces that said "another one for your fun" (saw it in an issue of 12oz. actually). just looked fun to paint.

also, i didnt notice the vehicle lettering on your site before, how is that done? im guessing Illustrator???

well, im pretty much going to do what you suggested and start off in my neighborhood and try to build my portfolio. i really want to make this work. the other day i counted how many businesses along maybe a two mile stretch of street that had splash on their windows; it was quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

some jobs are cool with vinyl, but most graff style jobs it's 150% easier to just break out some cans and get bizzy. Vinyl raises the cost of the Job, brings more design/production time into it and vinyl won't work on some surfaces like concrete, brick, etc. I use vinyl all the time but definately not on graff style jobs (except for a few exceptions)

just my preference.

Dawood have you ever used water based sealants on your work? Faux painting books recommend using them but i havent used them with spraypaint before. just curious because alot of the work i get is because i guarantee free touchups for a year.