Broken Ipod anyone got one that works?

Hermdog

I'm sorry to say it...but I was addicted to my ipod until recently. My 4th gen. 40g broke about a week ago. Beware, I had mine for about a year and six months. Now it suddenly died. Sure I dropped it a couple times, but it kept on playing on. Ever since I updated the software inside it started to go down hill. Whatever you do, don't update your ipod or the itunes software. The man's sticking it to ya.

I went to apple store..they offered to fix it for $200

or give me another 40g for $200, and a 90 day guarntee that it'll work.....or I could have traded it in and got 10% off of a 60g (about $300).

I shipped it to maqfix to see if it was fixable. Nope, harddrive is dead. I can get a new hard drive for guess what??? 200 bucks. I told them to ship it back. Now it's going on ebay as broken ipod. People actually buy broken ipods. So if you're interested in a broken ipod...I'll send you a link.

Now I'm surfing for a new or revamped ipod on ebay. Unfortunatly, I'm broke because I own 2 homes now since my old home hasn't sold yet. Whoa is me...haha

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I'm sorry to say it...but I was addicted to my ipod until recently. My 4th gen. 40g broke about a week ago. Beware, I had mine for about a year and six months. Now it suddenly died. Sure I dropped it a couple times, but it kept on playing on. Ever since I updated the software inside it started to go down hill. Whatever you do, don't update your ipod or the itunes software. The man's sticking it to ya.

I went to apple store..they offered to fix it for $200

or give me another 40g for $200, and a 90 day guarntee that it'll work.....or I could have traded it in and got 10% off of a 60g (about $300).

I shipped it to maqfix to see if it was fixable. Nope, harddrive is dead. I can get a new hard drive for guess what??? 200 bucks. I told them to ship it back. Now it's going on ebay as broken ipod. People actually buy broken ipods. So if you're interested in a broken ipod...I'll send you a link.

Now I'm surfing for a new or revamped ipod on ebay. Unfortunatly, I'm broke because I own 2 homes now since my old home hasn't sold yet. Whoa is me...haha

they charge you???? i've had mine break down on a few occassions, and usually you send it in and they'll replace it for free. i've got one of those 40 gig "ipod photos" that are no longer made anymore.

Who do you send them to Theo? Mine's almost two years old' date=' bought as a gift from Best Buy. No paperwork.[/quote']

you go to the apple.com website. go to the support section. you should figure the rest out from there. all you need is the serial number and they should replace it.

I burn mp3 cds for the car and have an iriver 512 flash & a sony mp3 cd player. I read in the NY Times apple thought it was common knowlegde that iPods break after a year or 2. Seriously fuck that shit, I'm not about to spend 400 bucks on somethingt that breaks down after a few. Plus iPods have the terrible bass,

the hubby has a nano. its okay. sometimes it doesnt want to turn off......... i woulden't get one.

i like how you're all like "waaaah waaaah my ipod cost so much to fix (insert rest of your paragraph here then end it with:) OH BUT I HAVE TWO HOUSES.

Sure I own 2 houses...but I really don't own 2 houses. The bank owns them. I have my house on the market for over a month now...my new home settled so I moved in. I will have to pay two mortgages if I don't sell soon.... so to put it bluntly..I'm broke. I'm an example of a guy who busts his ass to get what he wants. I'm screwed due to the current housing market. And yes my ipod broke too...so I'm somewhat in a rut. A little peeved and irritable. Enough about that...

Theo, I followed the steps you mentioned..and bam the warranty has expired. They want to charge $268 before they even look at it.

I just may have to say fuck it..put it on ebay and try to buy something in replacement.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I had a 3rd gen(?) for about a year and a half and it started fucking up in the game, randomly not playing, then randomly making blips and bleeps instead of music. A friend told me I should update the software, I did and then it stopped working altogether. I have an ill ipod paperweight now. sometimes I turn it on to see the sad ipod icon. weak.

The thing is though, I dont really think dropping 300 on something you use every day is that big of a deal if it shits out in a year and a half. I mean, for real, with all the other shit people drop money on that gets used way less than that, its not that big of a deal.

I think you guys are just abusing the hell out of them. Hard drives can't candle the kinds of forces we typically throw at them. The nano doesnt have problems because it is a solid-state device. You can't treat your iPod like your phone. You are going to cause errors on the hard disk and will eventuallly fail.