Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weapon X

Polarized Shades

Are they really that useful/healthy/good? I mean, for driving and walking; not necessarily for sports.

Polarized lenses get rid of light that bounces off horizontal surfaces, so they're pretty much awesome for everything.

Except all cars with tinted windows look like they're at a rave.

Oh, so they're probably really good for winter, seeing how I don't boat very often. At all.

It has its application, Any high glare activity. Fishing, Boating, etc ...

I cant stand the "rave" effect that Mams mentioned.

Due to the horizontal lines in the lense you can lose sight of things like a puddle or an oil slick on the road off in the distance.

a friend of miine was bitching about having lost his

he was all 'they actually filter the light, they don't just dim it'

so apparently they are better

he swore they are anyway

I knew this girl who had a set of "Maui Jims" or something, she bought em at costco. Those things go hard, everything is so clear.

But I got a pair of locs in my car, they just make everything dimmer which kind of sucks, but they look cool.

They're tight, I have a pair that I can't live without. In fact they are next to me right now and pretty much at all times. It's like looking through a perfect window to the world.

Also, if you get bored, you can play with the lenses rotating the glasses to see how the polarization changes.

-fuse.

*edit: Mine are Maui Jims, and they are supposedly the best on the market.

They're tight, I have a pair that I can't live without. In fact they are next to me right now and pretty much at all times. It's like looking through a perfect window to the world.

Also, if you get bored, you can play with the lenses rotating the glasses to see how the polarization changes.

-fuse.

*edit: Mine are Maui Jims, and they are supposedly the best on the market.

I'm actually looking for a pair. You know a price point / retailers who would carry by any chance?

I'm actually looking for a pair. You know a price point / retailers who would carry by any chance?

Mine are pretty expensive but just because they are top of the line.

You can get a decent pair of Maui Jims (they all have the same lens treatment) for ~$120-200 I'm pretty sure.

-fuse.

Maui Jim uses an adhesive to layer their lens system, between each layer is that adhesive. The adhesive has the possibility to bend light and alter how you see things.

Doesn't sound bad until you realize your eye has to put out some extra effort to correct the light waves back to normal. Causing eye strain when worn for long periods of time.

Best thing on Polarized lenses is the fact its only on the horizontal plane ... tip your head 90 degrees and the effect is lost and you are back to plain lenses with UV protection.

Maui Jim's are fucking amazing. I swear I can see better with them on than without. I've always been using cheapo sunglasses, but I might splurge on those. Costa del Mar also makes great shades, but I haven't seen a model I like.

MUST HAVE!

I even buy cheap polarized ($20-40) 'work' glasses.

Best thing on Polarized lenses is the fact its only on the horizontal plane ... tip your head 90 degrees and the effect is lost and you are back to plain lenses with UV protection.

hahaha, ya think so?

I do for one sunglass maker for sure.

However I maybe wrong with Maui Jim .... In the layer system they may put them in vertically too.

Even worse is the fact Maui Jim uses glass for lenses .... That kinda freaks me out ... If anything hits you in the face while wearing them the object and now glass shards are flying around your eye.

Only 2 companies making highly impact resistant and optically pure lenses are Oakley and Dragon (Oakley makes Dragons lenses) Often not my favorite styles on the market but I don't feel safe behind anything else.

I do for one sunglass maker for sure.

However I maybe wrong with Maui Jim .... In the layer system they may put them in vertically too.

Well, what you're trying to say is that polarization suppresses the glare across one plane.

I used to play with my polarized camera filters. If you screw 2 together you can adjust from a fully transparent configuration to fully opaque with a 90 degree twist. Of course, you can also adjust for all the greys in between...

I never tried it before but I'm gonna go play with my glasses and see if it works like that too.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now