Polarized Shades

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It has its application, Any high glare activity. Fishing, Boating, etc ...

I cant stand the "rave" effect that Mams mentioned.

Due to the horizontal lines in the lense you can lose sight of things like a puddle or an oil slick on the road off in the distance.

They're tight, I have a pair that I can't live without. In fact they are next to me right now and pretty much at all times. It's like looking through a perfect window to the world.

Also, if you get bored, you can play with the lenses rotating the glasses to see how the polarization changes.

-fuse.

*edit: Mine are Maui Jims, and they are supposedly the best on the market.

They're tight, I have a pair that I can't live without. In fact they are next to me right now and pretty much at all times. It's like looking through a perfect window to the world.

Also, if you get bored, you can play with the lenses rotating the glasses to see how the polarization changes.

-fuse.

*edit: Mine are Maui Jims, and they are supposedly the best on the market.

I'm actually looking for a pair. You know a price point / retailers who would carry by any chance?

I'm actually looking for a pair. You know a price point / retailers who would carry by any chance?

Mine are pretty expensive but just because they are top of the line.

You can get a decent pair of Maui Jims (they all have the same lens treatment) for ~$120-200 I'm pretty sure.

-fuse.

Maui Jim uses an adhesive to layer their lens system, between each layer is that adhesive. The adhesive has the possibility to bend light and alter how you see things.

Doesn't sound bad until you realize your eye has to put out some extra effort to correct the light waves back to normal. Causing eye strain when worn for long periods of time.

Best thing on Polarized lenses is the fact its only on the horizontal plane ... tip your head 90 degrees and the effect is lost and you are back to plain lenses with UV protection.

I do for one sunglass maker for sure.

However I maybe wrong with Maui Jim .... In the layer system they may put them in vertically too.

Even worse is the fact Maui Jim uses glass for lenses .... That kinda freaks me out ... If anything hits you in the face while wearing them the object and now glass shards are flying around your eye.

Only 2 companies making highly impact resistant and optically pure lenses are Oakley and Dragon (Oakley makes Dragons lenses) Often not my favorite styles on the market but I don't feel safe behind anything else.

However I maybe wrong with Maui Jim .... In the layer system they may put them in vertically too.

Well, what you're trying to say is that polarization suppresses the glare across one plane.

I used to play with my polarized camera filters. If you screw 2 together you can adjust from a fully transparent configuration to fully opaque with a 90 degree twist. Of course, you can also adjust for all the greys in between...

I never tried it before but I'm gonna go play with my glasses and see if it works like that too.

Even worse is the fact Maui Jim uses glass for lenses .... That kinda freaks me out ... If anything hits you in the face while wearing them the object and now glass shards are flying around your eye.

Only 2 companies making highly impact resistant and optically pure lenses are Oakley and Dragon (Oakley makes Dragons lenses) Often not my favorite styles on the market but I don't feel safe behind anything else.

Your facts are somewhat off. The lenses can only be polarized one way due to the fact that if you have 2 polarized layers that are off by 90 degrees, you will cancel out all light coming through the lens. Polarization cancels out an entire component of EM waves. Vertical polarization means that only the vertical component of light can pass through that lens. Same goes with horizontal.

Also, the Maui Jims that I have are the Kapaluas and they use a plastic lens. They use both plastic and glass for lenses, you just have to look at the sunglasses to know the difference. Glass is usually much heavier.