Shrinking jeans. How to?

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha...

If they're 36x32 and fit okay from the knees up, my guess is you are somewhere around 5'9" to 5'11", and weigh...between 180 to 210 lb. or so, and normally wear pants that are sort of loose, but not huge.

If I called that, yeah, they can do it. I'm doing a lot of guessing here since I've never seen you in person. Best thing to do is just deal with them being big if you have to wear them today, and get them altered whenever you get a chance.

mar-

rips are IN right now.

I have like 4 pairs of jeans with rips. It looks like a wild catbeast shredded the legs up.

I want to keep the rip I just want to make the jeans 1000x cooler by adding a patch on the inside, see where Im going with this? Anyhow I rarely follow styles. I just do and wear what I like.

Ha ha...

If they're 36x32 and fit okay from the knees up, my guess is you are somewhere around 5'9" to 5'11", and weigh...between 180 to 210 lb. or so, and normally wear pants that are sort of loose, but not huge.

If I called that, yeah, they can do it. I'm doing a lot of guessing here since I've never seen you in person. Best thing to do is just deal with them being big if you have to wear them today, and get them altered whenever you get a chance.

This is good news. Yeah, I'm nearly 6'1" and about 185lbs, so I guess it should be alright. I'll bring in a pair of really nicely fitting jeans so they know what to do.

Then, I'll think long and hard about sewing classes or something. That stuff is really good to know.

But, I had your back, catface...you're not mistaken. Okay, you may not personally go for that, but a lot of girls do. I know, I've met some of them.

But, I'll let people do whatever works for them. Digital Underground wrote a song all about the subject.

And, to Weapon- fuck sewing classes. You're just gonna end up hearing that none of your shit looks right, the seams aren't straight etc. from somebody who never made it as a designer...the best thing to do is approach it the same way you woud graff- do it wrong for a while, but as long as it works the details don't matter. Those will eventually come to you the more you practice.

I've never taken a single art, computer, or Home Ec class in my life, and I can sew, cook, draw, paint, and fix my computer just fine. Good enough at times to impress people, even...but, I just never gave up on anything I wanted to learn, and worked my ass off figuring things out. My hustle seems to be making things, and while it's probably not as useful now as it might have been, say, a hundred years ago, I make it work for me.

Mar, I can explain how you can fix your shit, but it's a little involved. But, here goes-

Rip the inner seam on the pantleg to about 3" above the hole in the knee, then iron your shit so it's flat. Clean up the loose thread around the hole (cut it off) then take your patch material and figure that you want to have no less than a 1/4" for seam allowance, or the distance between where your stitch is and the edge of the fabric. That's about the thickness of a ballpoint pen. Pin it as well as you can to about half of the edge of the hole, and use a blanket stitch (http://www.webindia123.com/craft/needle/embroi/embro.html) to sew the patch around the circumference of the hole. Remember, you want about a 1/4" between the edge and the stitch...it's important, otherwise it won't be able to stretch when you need it to. Oh, use as small of a needle and the heaviest thread possible...makes things go faster. Once that's done, machine stitch the inner seam a couple times with a #2 stitch, and cut off all the loose threads.

Like I said, it sounds involved, but you're a smart guy. You can do it.

Gotta go drink some beer now.

Mar, I can explain how you can fix your shit, but it's a little involved. But, here goes-

Rip the inner seam on the pantleg to about 3" above the hole in the knee, then iron your shit so it's flat. Clean up the loose thread around the hole (cut it off) then take your patch material and figure that you want to have no less than a 1/4" for seam allowance, or the distance between where your stitch is and the edge of the fabric. That's about the thickness of a ballpoint pen. Pin it as well as you can to about half of the edge of the hole, and use a blanket stitch (http://www.webindia123.com/craft/needle/embroi/embro.html) to sew the patch around the circumference of the hole. Remember, you want about a 1/4" between the edge and the stitch...it's important, otherwise it won't be able to stretch when you need it to. Oh, use as small of a needle and the heaviest thread possible...makes things go faster. Once that's done, machine stitch the inner seam a couple times with a #2 stitch, and cut off all the loose threads.

Ok that makes sense. The thing is I want to leave the tear open but put a patch behind it. So what if i pull out the seam on either end of the rip then machine sew the seam back together with the patch in between. Then sew the patch horizontally at both the top and an inch above and below the rip itself. Does this make sense? will it hold? and will a machine stitch hold?

Ok that makes sense. The thing is I want to leave the tear open but put a patch behind it. So what if i pull out the seam on either end of the rip then machine sew the seam back together with the patch in between. Then sew the patch horizontally at both the top and an inch above and below the rip itself. Does this make sense? will it hold? and will a machine stitch hold?

I'm tired, and not visualizing this all that well....it sounds like a lot of extra work to me, though.

You don't even need to rip the inner seam. I wrote that right after I drank some really strong tea, and I just realized that I added some extra steps. I have a hard time sewing knee patches on, and found it's easier for me to do it that way.

Just turn the pants inside out, and place the patch over the hole. Safety pin it so it lays flat. That's key, you want it to move as little as possible. Turn them right side out, then sew around the edge of the hole with the blanket stitch. This stitch is good for patching pants, because it keeps the edge of the patch from fraying and is able to stretch, as well. Try to make it nice and even, and remember that you want about a 1/4" around the edge so it's durable. Once it's sewed up, turn them inside out again, and trim off the excess patch material and remove the pins. All done!

You don't really need to use a machine to do this- actually, that stitch is better for the job, I think. I use it for almost all the hand sewing I do.

You don't really need to use a machine to do this- actually' date=' that stitch is better for the job, I think. I use it for almost all the hand sewing I do.[/quote']

Im not the one patching it my sister is. She insist on using the machine, but im not sure it'll hold. I think ill just have her triple stitch it.

My sewing skills arent so good. I can put on a button but thats where it ends. I tried to make a pillow once but its still in a drawer 10 years later.

This is really easy. If it's easy enough for me to explain it to you, I promise that you will be able to do it if you want to. I'm patient, but sometimes when it comes to teaching people, I get stressed out and think, "Jeez, it's not that hard, is it?" The whole ink/pen thing...I don't know about that. I can't account for that, but I think I did that because I wanted to help people get it right the first time.

I'm better at teaching by example, usually. The Internet is good for me in a lot of ways, but that isn't one of them.

You could always show her the directions, and tell her to go from there, too. If she's good at sewing, she can improvise.

Seeking, duct tape is an excellent thing. I completely agree.

Nah she's on some sort of I dont want to do this trip so Im going to do it my way. She said she'd zig zag it on the machine but I'm about to take it and do it myself. Its not like Im asking her to give me her first born child for a blood sacrifice, I just want my pants patched right....sheesh.

Yeh, I think I understand the stitch, and I want to use the heaviest thread with the smallest needle right? After that I just stitch around the hole and trim off the extra patch on the inside. Is that it?