so i finally looked up this whole "hyphy" thing.....

boogie hands

And any music from the West Coast (well like 90%) eats my cock also, so I only fuck with shit from the East Coast.

Since you say 90%, what music from Cali do you like? I always got the impression that a lot of New Yorkers were arrogant and had no respect from any music or graff west of the Mississippi. In some cases outside of the 5 burroughs. I rid myself of stereotyping them like that, but once in a while people ressurrect those stereotypes when they post or open their mouth hating on someone just because they're in a different part of the country.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

we show mad love for you philly cats when you come out here....jurne' date=' curve, agua, ar, i love them philly hands. san francisco also has a cursive style that the locals rock that is somewhat similar to philly hands in terms of flow and shit. you sound like an ignorant fuck violent. i can go on for days about how much of a shithole philly is, but whatever i gots love for most cities. but from my own personal view, i have been to philly and new york, and dont see the big deal. i'll take my sunny california beaches and authentic mexican taco trucks over philadelphia anyday[/quote']

Most Californians show love for cities like New York. The same respect usually isn't shown in return. Not all, just some.

people hate on philly hands all the time..

but you would never really can fully appreciate it unless you

have been to philly or know much on the history of philly hand style..

no other city in the us has its own "handstyle"..

hating on philly hands to me is like hating on something that is out of the norm.

but its understandable for people on the west coast to not like it (i guess)

Image075.jpg

How about the hyphy style....look, he's got the thizz face and everything!

I think the Internet makes the regional style thing moot. Everything is starting to look alike to me, and even if that's progress I'm not sure I like it.

As far as hyphy goes...that's been happening here since 2003. And, that E-40 song (which I actually like, for some reason) has been out since last summer. I was intrigued by it, then got tired of it...now it's getting interesting again, and finally Mac Dre's (RIP) catalog is getting the attention it deserves.

I think hip-hop shouldn't pander to the lowest common denominator, but hey, that's my opinion. Someone mentioned the late eighties, and they were exactly right- most of my favorite hip-hop tracks came out between 1987 and 1993.

I don't take hip-hop as seriously as some folks here do...I just like the music. And, graff and hip-hop were and always will be two completely different mediums in my mind. I didn't grow up in NYC in the seventies, and I doubt 99.999% of the board did, either.

no other city in the us has its own "handstyle"..

Are you serious? I can spot an L.A. handstyle in a heartbeat. Usually a mixture of gangster/cholo lettering with some NY influences, and within the past 10 years the real skinny squiggly gothic lettering added in... And NY has their own style bubble throwup.

I even like Philly hands, too...here's a bad one for the Philly guys to make fun of.

I agreed with SF1 when he explained that you had to be from Philly to do a Philly style. You can fake it, but anyone from Philly will know the difference.

629737471_Image000(5).jpg.07b6114377d6acd5073abb78698aa11a.jpg

yeah the cholo lettering started in l.a.... that squigly gothic style and cholo style you see from MSK and LTS and TKO, comes from l.a.... not san diego, not san fran.. to be specific the first graffiti scene started in East L.A. in the 1930's... before spray cans were on the market, cholos would write their hoods and their monikers and do characters in paint brushes. by the time "subway art" and "style wars" came out in the early 80's, along with some new yorkers coming to l.a. physically to bomb/piece, the cholo gang writing fused with ny influences which is seen in l.a. style today.

I even like Philly hands, too...here's a bad one for the Philly guys to make fun of.

I agreed with SF1 when he explained that you had to be from Philly to do a Philly style. You can fake it, but anyone from Philly will know the difference.

i was told by an l.a. writer, that's originally from philly, that philly handstyle was divided into two styles, "broadway" and "diamond." broadway is that tall skinny style and diamond is i guess where it starts off small, gets big in the middle and ends small again. he doesn't rock the philly hands out here for some reason. it would be nice though, add some variety to the scene.

Are you serious? I can spot an L.A. handstyle in a heartbeat. Usually a mixture of gangster/cholo lettering with some NY influences' date=' and within the past 10 years the real skinny squiggly gothic lettering added in... And NY has their own style bubble throwup.[/quote']

That's true...but if you take a look at Mr. ABC, that guy can do ANYTHING. I thought he was from the Bay Area when I saw some of his sketches.

Like I said, kids are starting out nowadays with a resource I never had. Sure, some will push the style of the town they're from...but others are going to go on here and soak up everything they see, and turn it into something brand-new. As long as it isn't fan-club bullshit anyone can learn, I think it's fine. It takes a lot of work to be good at anything, and even if you can do a perfect copy of something I did, I can still tell the difference...which direction the line goes, the thickness of the line, starts and stops, effects...I guess any writer can do that, though.

I lived in LA in the eighties, when 99% of the graff was cholo style. That brush style is really nice, too. Unfortunately, I never saw that style then...just all that squared off gang shit everywhere. Once in a while, someone who had some style would do tombstones.

CBS was starting out when I moved to the Bay Area in the late eighties, I think. I like what the LA scene has done to push things forward. Actually, I like just about everything, regardless of where it's from, but definitely for different reasons.

I lived in LA in the eighties, when 99% of the graff was cholo style. That brush style is really nice, too. Unfortunately, I never saw that style then...just all that squared off gang shit everywhere. Once in a while, someone who had some style would do tombstones.

CBS was starting out when I moved to the Bay Area in the late eighties, I think. I like what the LA scene has done to push things forward. Actually, I like just about everything, regardless of where it's from, but definitely for different reasons.

One thing I noticed when I went to San Fran, and also according to Bay Area people, is that the most of the people bombing San Francisco big time are L.A. writers. What's up with that? I saw a lot of MSK, TKO, AWR, and LTS stuff up there.

Not true. Most of the bombing is done by locals. I mean in SF there are some LA writers. But just because they are pushing MSK or AWR or TKO, does not mean they're from LA. Stell is MSK and he's an eastbay cat. I never see any LTS around here.

I've seen Philly hands I liked, I think that guys was garbage. Shai has good hands. But I wasn't gonna post anything I did because I really just don't tag that much. When I do tags it's really simple and readable. That's just kinda how I like to do things. Plus I never flick a tag, seems weird. Waste of digital space...

The simplist thing I can find is this throwup I did, not my best I guess. But I never think they are. But it shows that I just like things to be simple and readable...

149203592_681cfa2f28_b.jpg

Then again, I'm just some guy on the internet. What do I know about teh graffz?

I'm lazy.

No, it's probably that compared to LA, SF is a lot easier to get over in....it's a smaller city than LA, you can get anywhere on a bike or the bus. If you are truly dedicated, you could walk across town...I've done it plenty of times.

Second of all, most writers from out of town, especially cities where vandalism laws are more stringent, realize pretty quickly that it's a cakewalk compared to what they're used to.

Third, the LA writers that are more or less based here are obviously here to put in work, and are in it for the long haul. Most people from here burn hot for a while, then move on to other things. Not all, but most.

There's a lot of reasons, I guess.

I'm lazy.

No, it's probably that compared to LA, SF is a lot easier to get over in....it's a smaller city than LA, you can get anywhere on a bike or the bus. If you are truly dedicated, you could walk across town...I've done it plenty of times.

Second of all, most writers from out of town, especially cities where vandalism laws are more stringent, realize pretty quickly that it's a cakewalk compared to what they're used to.

yeah, why is that? everytime i hear l.a. writers talk about sf, they talk about how easy it is to get up there. how it's a "playground" and how stories how they bomb in broad daylight and catch tags in front of people. in l.a. you got gang bangers that don't want you hitting their turf, cops, heroes, etc. you're right about sf being alot smaller , i was at some store staring at a map of sf and one of l.a., both to the same scale, and i could fit about 6 sf's in the city of l.a.... i was surprised how much bigger l.a. is than sf.... no way you could walk across l.a.... it doesn't take long at all by car to get from fisherman's wharf in s.f. to say where candlestick park is on the opposite end of town.

yeah' date=' why is that? everytime i hear l.a. writers talk about sf, they talk about how easy it is to get up there. how it's a "playground" and how stories how they bomb in broad daylight and catch tags in front of people. in l.a. you got gang bangers that don't want you hitting their turf, cops, heroes, etc. you're right about sf being alot smaller , i was at some store staring at a map of sf and one of l.a., both to the same scale, and i could fit about 6 sf's in the city of l.a.... i was surprised how much bigger l.a. is than sf.... no way you could walk across l.a.... it doesn't take long at all by car to get from fisherman's wharf in s.f. to say where candlestick park is on the opposite end of town.[/quote']

That's easy. SF is at the end of a peninsula, so geography plays a big part...plus, the public transportation is better. Not by much, but LA is damn near impossible to get around without a car. A while back, I wrote all about how the freeways more or less dictated the way LA was destined to sprawl, and how car culture there is not really an issue, but an accepted fact of life.

The other point is that LA is a very conservative city, and people there seem to be more materialistic. Therefore, property issues tend to be more important there, I think. I was talking with my cousin in LA last night, and how the conversation went demonstrates the differences between us perfectly...

Him- "So, when are you moving down here? I can get you a UNIX administraton job and you'll have a free place to stay...there's nothing going on in the Bay Area. You need to realize this, and go where the money is."

Me- "Yeah, well...I'm just doing my art, you know...trying to get my rep established, and I'm pretty far off from any kind of admin job. I'm thinking about taking some classes at Berkeley, but I should figure out if that's what I want to do. Right now, it's mainly painting and sewing."

Him- "I saw your portfolio, I know some people who run galleries down here...you could do that and still have a tech job."

Me- "But, that's the thing. I'm at this point where I need to make a choice, but I'm not in the right place to do that yet. I'm doing okay, not great, but I'm happy with the progress I've made."

HIm- "Progress doesn't matter unless it's applied."

Me- "Yeah, but applied progress is irrelevant if you aren't happy."

Both- "You just don't get it, do you?"

People in LA are a lot more proactive than us laid-back Bay Area people, who are willing to let you do your thing if it's not hurting anyone. That applies to graff...well, it seems to apply to almost everything, and it's kind of hard to miss. There's lots of talented folks here, don't get me wrong. But, if you have that type-A personality in the Bay Area, you either have to do it yourself, do without, or go crazy. I'm from both places, so I get a lot done...when I feel like it.

yeah' date=' why is that? everytime i hear l.a. writers talk about sf, they talk about how easy it is to get up there. how it's a "playground" and how stories how they bomb in broad daylight and catch tags in front of people. in l.a. you got gang bangers that don't want you hitting their turf, cops, heroes, etc. you're right about sf being alot smaller , i was at some store staring at a map of sf and one of l.a., both to the same scale, and i could fit about 6 sf's in the city of l.a.... i was surprised how much bigger l.a. is than sf.... no way you could walk across l.a.... it doesn't take long at all by car to get from fisherman's wharf in s.f. to say where candlestick park is on the opposite end of town.[/quote']

shit one time when i was like 15 or 16 we went to l.a. with this after school program, i think we were protesting that prop 21 shit. me and this dude decided to catch some tags . after we were done we hopped in the van (we were riding wit some activist type cats) as soon as im in the back of the van i hear someone talking some shit like:

"hey you tagging in the wrong hood hey"

then he pulled out a strap and was like

"primera flats"

that nigga regulated and took both our cans.

I used to hate when threads got off track, but now I just...

...GET DUMB, GET DUMB, GET DUMB, GET DUMB....

I told my roommate the other day that if a white guy has dreads, takes ecstasy, and drives really bad with lots of bass in his car, he wasn't hyphy...he was a raver.

So, if he considered himself hyphy, he was really telling me that I should clown him.

It seemed like he needed a wake-up call. Good thing I stepped in.