My Crazy Roommate Lost His Shit, Again

shai

If you want to see pictures of the place, you can PM me and I'll give you a link...I don't feel like posting it here would be the best thing to do.

"Punk house" is just what it is, for lack of a better term.. Only one girl who lives here is a punk, and she's moving out because she doesn't want to get her shit together. Hey, that's her perogative.

Almost all of us came from the punk scene, but that's a pretty narrow view of who we are. Most of us are in our thirties. Half of us are artists. The other half have day jobs. I still go to shows, since the girl I'm hanging out with these days is in a couple of bands. But, most punks don't do much besides get drunk and talk about the scene...boring.

I'll stay home instead. It's far more interesting.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Dealt with serious depression and my own vices- namely, drinking and smoking too much"

We all have our vices, none make it any easier to keep our shit together.

I agree 100%. That's why I decided to try something different.

I still drink, just nowhere near as much. Now I spend a lot of time writing and learning programming. Things change.

Apparently, he went to legal aid and got a lawyer, who advised him that he could stay rent-free for up to three months if we filed eviction proceedings against him.

The other thing is, we would have to get the landlord involved, and she could very easily decide that, collectively, we weren't worth the trouble and throw us all out.

you can't stay anywhere rent free because of eviction.. that makes no sense. people would get themselves evicted all the time.

if you fail to pay rent you can be served with a 3 day eviction notice...

is he on a signed lease?

man i had a roomate that was almost identical to that behavior.

i am so glad i got away from that shit, 3-4 years later he is still the same, and recently got busted for growing, and also is totally convinved the CIA/NSA is out to get him and his "personal freedoms".

MY ADVICE TO YOU:

beat that mother fucker to a bloody pulp so the world doesn't have to deal with these idiots. serious, they don't change for the better, it only gets worse.

i have a better idea...why dont you and your good friend MOVE THE FUCK OUT......seriously, get a two bedroom apartment in fucking oakland or some place for like 1000 a month, and now you get privacy and get to move out of this crowded shithole full of punk rockers....

i cant live with roomates, they just annoy and piss me off. im paying an extra 200 a month so that i live in a one bedroom by myself. its so peacefull and private, its worth every penny. last year i had a coke sniffin retarded roomate, and a fat punk rocker who never stopped playing his guitar....fuck roomates

Apparently, he went to legal aid and got a lawyer, who advised him that he could stay rent-free for up to three months if we filed eviction proceedings against him.

The other thing is, we would have to get the landlord involved, and she could very easily decide that, collectively, we weren't worth the trouble and throw us all out.

you can't stay anywhere rent free because of eviction.. that makes no sense. people would get themselves evicted all the time.

if you fail to pay rent you can be served with a 3 day eviction notice...

is he on a signed lease?

He does have 30 days from the day he's served. The three month thing- I have no idea who told him that, or why. I used to serve eviction papers, and occasionally landlords will compensate the tenant for 90 days if they need to vacate the property in a hurry, but this is strictly at the landlord's discretion...it's usually an incentive to get people out so they can move in themselves or sell the property. I need to look into what the statutes are for this county, thanks for reminding me.

The three day rule applies, but it's tricky. That would be something to consider, but it has to be served one day following the due date, at which point the whole house will be in arrears and liable for the late fee. And, it has to be in legal format and filed at the courthouse with a proof of service attached. I know how to do the paperwork and what to say, but it's basically just an annoyance for both parties. If he didn't pay, we'd still have to evict him.

No, he's not on the lease. My friend is the master tenant, so this is a subtenancy based on a verbal contract with the leaseholder. I've been telling him to get everything in writing, and even volunteered to be the one to draw up a contract, but his take is that it's been on an informal basis for so long that he would feel awkward asking everyone to sign at this point.

Also, the service has to be done by a process server who is a disinterested third party to the action. I know someone who will do it, so that's not the issue.

There comes a time where you have to ask yourself- how much effort is justified, and is it really going to make a difference? One option we considered was having everyone move out on him.

So, I went to talk to an old friend of mine from work, and he told me that I had to post a three-day notice to cure or quit. That means he has three days to get his shit together or we would begin eviction proceedings, which is pretty much a given at this point. He offered to serve it when I was done preparing the documents...so, there may be a end to all of this in sight after all.

Once he realizes we mean business, I think he may get the message.

Actually, I saw a nice two bedroom not far from West Oakland BART and it's looking mighty nice.

Thing is, my rent is ridiculously cheap right now. The house isn't too crowded either, it's a three story victorian with eight rooms so there's plenty of space here.

I'm not sure what will happen, but no crazy guy is gonna chase me out of here or tell me what to do without a battle on his hands....and, believe me, I've given up too much this year. I have to take a stand this time.

man i had a roomate that was almost identical to that behavior.

i am so glad i got away from that shit, 3-4 years later he is still the same, and recently got busted for growing, and also is totally convinved the CIA/NSA is out to get him and his "personal freedoms".

MY ADVICE TO YOU:

beat that mother fucker to a bloody pulp so the world doesn't have to deal with these idiots. serious, they don't change for the better, it only gets worse.

It's crossed my mind. I don't deal with things like that normally, but this is getting me angry enough to twist the dude's head off.

I think I can do him more harm by evicting him, as he won't be able to rent in the county for a few years with that on his record.

That way, he won't be a problem to anyone I know for a long time.

I would think since he's not on the lease you should be able to give him the boot.. say he violated his verbal agreement...

and even if you evict someone (30 or 60 day) I'm pretty sure they legally still owe rent, though it becomes harder to collect. but just because papers were served doesn't mean you get a free ride. not 100% clear on that though.. call the california consumer affairs dept...

or here's the tenant/landlord rights book online:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/

heres the evictions page: http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/terminations.htm

from the above: justified reason to serve a 3 day notice:

"Substantially interfered with other tenants ("committed a nuisance")."

Strangely enough, people off of the lease have it both ways. Their liability for property damage is almost nonexistent, but after thirty days they're tenants whether they pay rent or not.

California sucks as far as cotenancy laws are concerned. There's too much going for the defendant. It's almost not an option to pursue cases like this for the average Joe, who gets stuck with a crackhead roommate living rent-free for a month.

However, I'm not the average Joe in this case. I'm smart, I'm stubborn and I'm angry. I also know enough about the legal system to get it to work for me in this case, I hope.

Ideally, he'll blow off the hearings and have to be removed by the Sheriff's department. Good times.

you know what you should do..... is have some epople dressed up in suits lookin through his window with flash lights. make fake bugs for the phone and tell him that you've been seeing some guy you dont know parked in a car... say its his friend that keeps stoppin by and make up some wierd name like RICHARD.

lol make him wake up in the middle of the night and tell him that somebody is in the house.. kinda mess your place up a little bit... make that the last prank

you could get people in suits to take pics of your friend, or better yet.. just random people that come up to him and say his name..you could make a movie

It's crossed my mind. I don't deal with things like that normally, but this is getting me angry enough to twist the dude's head off.

I think I can do him more harm by evicting him, as he won't be able to rent in the county for a few years with that on his record.

That way, he won't be a problem to anyone I know for a long time.

word, i'm sure whatever happens, karma will have its way with him no matter what, most likely his whole life too. idiots like this never realize they are the problem, they blame everything else.

evict him, then kill him.:D

We considered playing off of his paranoia, but we aren't sure that's the answer....the last thing we need is for him to barricade himself in his room with a machete and a tinfoil hat.

The guy who's gonna serve him is about 6'2" and rocked. "Rick" is 5'8" and a buck forty. No contest. I'm exactly in between them in size, and he didn't do shit when I called him out yesterday.

If Rick tries to talk to me, I'm just gonna say, "I can't speak to you." If he asks why, I'll say, "I've been advised not to." That's it. I'm sure that alone will get his wheels spinning.

I found out he was busted for drugs last summer...I thought about making about a hundred copies of the court file and stashing them all over the house, but that could be construed as harassment.

I'm warming up to the idea of handling this in court, the more I think about it. My other roommate got to see my game face at court today, and he said, "Jesus, I never would have believed that if I hadn't seen it," or something to that effect.

My biggest concern is that someone is gonna snap and beat the shit out of him, and wreck our case. I know I can hold it down as long as he stays out of my way, which hasn't been a problem so far. He tried to talk shit to me from the second story window this morning, and I yelled back that if he wasn't such a bitch he'd be talking shit to me face to face. No response.

I have to type up the notice tonight and have everyone sign it before the weekend. I expect some drama to break out once he reads it. But, that's about it.

word, i'm sure whatever happens, karma will have its way with him no matter what, most likely his whole life too. idiots like this never realize they are the problem, they blame everything else.

evict him, then kill him.:D

Why kill him? I'd be doing the miserable wretch a favor.

No, he's far more useful to me alive.

And, you are exactly right. His behavior has been completely self-induced. He refuses to accept this, since it's easier to place blame than take responsibility. He has an excuse for everything he did, and they all relate to someone fucking him over somehow, but he refuses to elaborate in any coherent way. The reason he got hauled off yesterday was not because of what he did, it was on account of a traffic warrant. as soon as he got home, he was accusing us of identity theft as a plot to get him arrested.

I don't even fucking DRIVE! I almost laughed till I cried when I heard that one. Poor, poor, deluded fool. I hope he likes the hole he's digging for himself.

The sad thing is, he's about to get royally fucked over by all of us, and he doesn't even see it coming. But, at least he'll be right about that one. I'll take all the credit, too.

Of course calling the cops just made shit more complicated. What did your boy who called them think would happen? Yall should have just threw him out. It aint like he'd call the cops being that he's paranoid. Now yall can't do shit but worry about dude returning the favor and ratting on yall for whatever, or maybe killing you in your sleep.

Lesson one---> don't bring the cops into shit.:rolleyes: