hittin low trains

Guest NEW2FR8s

Guest NEW2FR8s

aight, theres a layup like three blocks from my house. its dope that i found it cuz it looks pretty calm wit no security and its always got trains in it. but its by a lumber yard and the trains are short and there constantly loading them, i dont want to heat out the spot by letting some one in the engine see me. so im just waiting till i catch a good sized layup there to paint, but theres always these trains there that dont have a box car on them, there just like the bottoms of csx trains, ive seen them before with box cars or cars that look like semi trailers stacked on them. but anyways there big enough to hit the bottoms of them but they set in on the track, were if i was hittin on and they gotted humped or started moving it would be over for me. im scared to hit them for that reason. what do you guys think? and whats some signs i can look for to let me know there gonna be there for awhile and i have no worrie about them taking off. and can i please get some actual answers this time, i mean i like the creative critisism, but this is for real im trying to go paint these and i need some help first.

Later.............

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest NEW2FR8s

Ok, thats my fualt. i was typing fast and all the ebonics came along with it. i know you can understand it but im not goin to argue becuase id like to get some reasonable replies on this thread.

I happend to find this layup close to my living facinity. (house) and i have watched it closely and the only trains that i could hit with out having to wait woul be these trains that dont have any top to them. there just like a bottom of a csx train but the chassis (frames) come far out from the tracks, so im scared to hit them. for the fear of them gettin humped by another car and starting to move and i get hit by part of the frame and then it would be all over for me seeing how the train weighs 100 times more than me. so i was wondering whats some signs i can use to tell if the cars wont be moving for awhile or just whats your alls opinion on this, have any of you all personaly hit them before. any any other helpful advice woudl be greatly aprecciated. and also i hope this time its more understandable. later..........

I can't tell from tour description what kind of car you're talking about. (If it's only 3 blocks from your house, go down there and read the biggest letters and numbers you see written on the car and report back, that might help me out. Does it say TTX on there anywhere?)

It sounds like a spine car, or intermodal. The rule is this: for safety reasons, you should paint ONLY the part of a car that is maximum width. If it sticks out as far as a regular boxcar would, it's OK. If you have to step inside any kind of framework to reach the paintable part, don't do it. If the train moves suddenly you may be hamburger. I might add, I've never seen a spine car that had enough of a vertical flat surface to be worth painting anyway.

On another note, despite the convenience, I would be leery of painting a spot that close to my house. You don't shit where you eat. People who recognize you could see you coming and going from the spot. A lot depends on how it's set up and how chill your town is. (Sometimes it's worse in a real one-horse town, where a kid walking up the street with a backpack is big doings.) I'm always paranoid of being noticed as a "regular" by people who live or work near my spots. "That's like the tenth time I've seen that car parked at the back of that empty lot...and the guy has a backpack and walks into the woods, what's with that?"

Guest NEW2FR8s

aight, the cars are yellow (well some are rusty brown) but mostly all yellow. they have barely enough room to paint, in the middle of the car theres a piece of flat steel that comes down almost like a upside down pyramid with out going fully to a point and its real low to the ground, npw this part of it set inside the tracks so the wheels are about a foot futher out from it, so i could problay take a few steps back be safe but what worries me is if the cars get humped becuase i wont hear the engine i want have time to step back. but its real chill like i can cut through some woods and shit and i wont even be noticed goin there alot. but i go down there and get some flix later on and ill get some numbers off them, and ill get a pic of one a try to put it up in the bench section or on this post. thanks for the help cracked. later.......

Guest NEW2FR8s

My bad on the spelling a grammar and punctuaition used in that last post i was typing fast. From now on ill go slower and take stuff like that into consideration. Later.........

Blending into the Landscape

There's two ways to look at this "kid with a backpack" thing. If you go there all the time, or you are in the area all the time, but NOT HARMING ANYTHING or causing any upset, people will get used to seeing you around, and you'll soon be accepted as part of the regular landscape. "Oh yeah, there's the Backpack Kid. And over there, there's the Dumpster-diving Guy, and over here is the Old Lady with a Little Dog." After a while, you'll cease being unusual.

If you regularly go over to this lay-up and hit everything in sight (especially in the daylight) you will heat up the spot and the bulls or the cops or the lumberyard security will start trying to catch you with the can in your hand. If I were you, I would NOT HIT A SINGLE THING FOR TEN BLOCKS IN ANY DIRECTION around your lay-up. And NEVER hit some guy's private property--nothing pisses off a homeowner more than silly ass vandalism, and they will make seeing you in hand-cuffs a major priority in their life. Exercise self-discipline. Plan your pieces in detail, execute them in a way calculated to not heat up the spot, and don't do anything to piss off the local neighborhood.

As far as the cars themselves goes, I think you must be looking at DTTX COFC's. Is there a steel deck in the bottom of the car? Does it say TTX 48 on it or DTTX 53? Lumber spine cars have a very tall steel bulkhead in the middle of the car (to keep loads from going "over the side" on curves, but still make them easy to unload with a forklift). I agree 100% with the poster above that says do not step in between cars. You can go in (very briefly) to lightly kick the brake hoses. If they are hard, the brakes are "set." If they are soft(er) the brakes are probably bled down or leaked down, and the train could move if an engine coupled to it. Obviously, one NEVER goes under a train car or coupler, or between cars that have been separated, and I mean NEVER. As in "crushed into a screaming pile of severed arms and legs" never. NEVER MEANS NEVER. If you must pass to the other side of a string of cars, either go over (don't step on the couplers) or just walk around the end, but NEVER GO UNDER.

If you do recon without any paint, you can learn a lot. Take a camera, and pretend to be a railfan. Don't act furtive. Wave to the crew, act like a train nerd: "Hi guys! Can I take your picture? I LOVE trains!" It might help to do a little research and actually learn something about them, too, of course. If they tell you you are trespassing, act surprised "Trespassing? Really? Wow, I'm sorry, I didn't know. Okay, I'll leave. I hope I didn't cause any problem. Sorry!" A lot of times the same crew will work the same line, so once you use the "I'm sorry" routine, they will probably be looking for you the next time.

You don't have much to fear from the crew as long as you look innocent, but if they see you on the cars or painting, haul ass. They will definately call the bulls or the cops. As long as you are not actually touching the rail cars, you are safe even if they get humped. Just stay away from the area if there is any power there (i.e. engines.) Rail cars on a lay-up will only be made up into a consist by flat-switching (cars being pushed together by an engine) as there is no hump. (You'd know it if there was a hump anywhere near--it's a big hill with rail tracks on it, and it has a tower and a master retarder that squeals and makes a shit load of noise when it slows down the free-rolling cars.) If there is no power, there can be no flat-switching. Also, flat-switching requires a brakeman to cut the cars loose and a switchman to operate the switches manually, so there will be at least two trainmen ON THE GROUND during flat-switching. If you see railroad workers on the ground, time to go get a Coke or something.

Guest NEW2FR8s

hey, im using my common sense, asking you guys for help before i just go heat out the lay up or possibly get cuaght. and i didnt litteratly mean 18 wheeler trailers. its these train box car type things that dosent have wheels. but the bottom of the car that huals them has a spot in the middle thats big enough to paint. and itll give me something to paint when i cant make it to the yard or im bored.

does it look like something you would like to paint??? if so go paint one and see what happens, the trains arent doing you any good just sitting there. just listen to the train and if it sounds like its about to move back up off it...:idea:

Guest NEW2FR8s

Aight, my crib how about that is that better, or my pad, maybe my shack or how about my damn house, i mean shit what does it matter what i call it you know what i mean. i mean shit come on guys lay off stupid shit like that if you would please. and i didnt mean to sound like a jerk and this isnt aimed towards anyone im just stated my opinion. later...........

Plan of Action for New Guys

1.) Find yourself a good spot. Keep in mind that if you live in a city, probably 50 other guys consider your "secret spot" to also be their secret spot too. If they heat the spot up and you just happen to be there when the cops show up, guess who goes to jail?

2.) "Five ways in, ten ways out." Don't make a habit of parking your car or stashing your stuff in the same place every time. Once you locate a spot, complete MAP RECONNAISANCE, so you will be completely familiar with the area. Memorize the names of nearby streets, the number of tracks, the location of switches and signals, etc.

3.) Complete preliminary GROUND RECONNAISANCE of the area, both day and night, if you intend on painting there during the hours of darkness. BE AWARE that there is a ton of activity in rail yards at night, especially big city rail yards. Rail transport is a 24/7 kind of business. There is more activity Tuesday through Friday, with Saturday morning activity petering off until Sunday afternoon and night. Trains that dispatched from somewhere else Saturday afternoon will arrive in your yard early Sunday morning, and by Monday afternoon will be getting classified and humped into new consists. If something stupid happens, like a fucking terrorist attack or a labor strike, it will change the schedule. I went down to my favorite yard the other Saturday and there were trains parked EVERY fucking where, just sitting there screwing up my day, LOL. It's a serious business. So is trucking.

4.) Plan your piece. Draw up lay-outs, sketches. Estimate the required amount of paint required. Then double it. Buy extra tips, gloves, etc. whatever you think you'll need. If you just go blast a freight car, you'll wish you hadn't wasted the paint. Over half the piece is the THINKING AND PLANNING. Be critical of your own stuff. Why are you doing this thing in this way? Why are you using this color or that tip? If you don't know why, THINK ABOUT IT. Revise it. Talk to your buddies about it. Don't just yank a piece, EXECUTE IT CAREFULLY AND PROFESSIONALLY.

5.) Be patient. Not every day is the RIGHT day to paint. Choose when, where and how very carefully.

6.) Be true to your self. Don't let somebody else make decisions for you or unduly influence your decisions. Think carefully and rationally. Know what you consider to be "too much risk."

7.) Carry bail money, the telephone number of a good lawyer and the telephone number of a friend who can come get you. Realistically, you don't want to spend any more time in thre pokey than you must, if you get popped. PLAN FOR THE BEST, PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

Man. I think that covers it.

Originally posted by Average White Railfan

sorry dude but thats too classic.

haha you caught that too?

newfr8s...just check your spot man. none of us got to where we are without risking our asses. you just gotta get out there..and in turn you will gain knowledge and respect. two invaluable tools.

Some of the questions that get asked are so ridiculous. If you think you are going to get caught for painting your spot, don't paint it. Obviously, you should always stay out of sight of the engine, don't even contimplate that one..

Like someone already said, it sounds to me as if you are benching a spot full of TTX intermodels, perhaps CP'S? Who knows what company they are, but they are paintable if they are intermodel cars. By the sounds of the Yellow and rusted brown description you've given, i'd say they are. Are they about 4-5 ft tall ?

Paint them, they get play.

Guest NEW2FR8s

Hey boogy, thanks for the advice. and were did you come from. ive never seen you on here for like the mounth ive been comin on this forum and then out of no were (bow) there you was. but shit thats good its more people that can give educational advice on graff. i like your views on the trains i was asking about but the first paragraph you typed is what got me. you was talkin about heatin up your spot. this thread had nothing to do wit that. i mean it might have been mentioned a couple times. but the main question i was trying to get an answer for was, whats some ways i can tell if the train will be chill for awhile becuase the chassis or frame work on these perticular trains are set up were the wheels come further out than the actual car so the part were i would be painting is setting a little inside the tracks and i dont wanna have my foot on the tracks or something while painting and then the train get humped or start moving or something. that resulting im me being a criple for the rest of my damn life, you get what i am saying. and i know some ones probaly gonna reply. (just make sure your damn foots not on the tracks or inside the tracks. Duh) but the thing is when im painting my legs get tired and i gotta move around and shit and i know my foot will end up on the tracks once or twice with out me knowing it and i dont wanna run the chance of loosing a foot, so thats why i wanna find a way to make sure the trains are chill were i have no need to worrie while painting them. but its straight becuase i hit one of them last night, i found one with out an engine on it so i hit it up wit a piece. and i may add it came out good actualy, its one of the only pieces ive done that ive liked. well later, and boogy thanks again for the help and everyone else on this thread thats help in some way. later.

To answer your question, I have been around here for about 2-3 months or something. I dunno.. I just got my computer back though, it was gone for a while..

Anyways, if you really wanna make sure these things are safe to paint in your spot.. and your worried about movement, just do what the rest of us do... go there every night and bench the spot. watch it for an hour or so every night.. figure out when they take the cars, and when they will simply be sitting there without service..

How long is the line of these cars? Can you see the front or the end of it? pay attention to these things.. then perhaps you can just be aware of when an engine will be coming simply because you will see it from a distance while your painting, and won't run the risk of getting your legs cut off. Figure out which end of the siding the engines will be coming from to take the cars back into service along the lines.

Do you mean containers? Like the ones on international ships. They have ridges on them w/names like "HANJIN" "K LINE" and the aligator in the aquarium. You will be able to tell when they are humping the cars. You can hear the engine. Are you sure that it's a hump yard? Cause you're saying it's a layup.

Guest NEW2FR8s

aight, for the question about am i sure if its a hump yard. well im not totaly sure. its 6 track wide layup and one of the tracks are on a hill angled towards the other tracks, if this track is used for humping im not sure. see i dont know to much about humping or about any train activitys for that matter thats why ive been coming on here recently becuase ive started to paint trains and i wanna be as educated on the trains and my yards as possible before i go in there and either heat up the spot or end up gettin myself killed. i mean i have a little knowledge of trains. enough to go paint every once in awhile but i dont think im ready to pull off end to ends or spend entire nights in the yard or any thing like that yet. as of right now i think ill stick to chill lay ups till i feel alittle more secure about painting in the yards. ive been going and benching at two yards almost every night and it has helped me under stand the routines of the yards alittle better plus ive got that baddest flicks ive ever gotten. and i even made a friend at the yard. some rail worker that just came over to me and started talking about the fun he has working in the yard and plus the late nights keep him away from his nagging wife. real nice guy. well thats about all. it looks like ima be goin to the layup for a couple night and benchin it for awhile to watch and see if they hump the cars and when they move them and shit like that. thanks for the help guys. later..

You have a real good attitude, man.

As far as should you be painting these cars you're talking about, who cares if you have a little space to paint and it's not a full panel? Make the best of it and have fun painting. You might develop a cool style for small spaces like that and have an easy time painting stuff that other people wouldn't touch. This is a chance to be creative and invent ways to use the space you have. As long as you feel safe based on your newfound knowledge and the train's not gonna crush you, rock out.

The story about the happy railworker and his nagging wife is funny as hell. I picture some jolly fat railworker wiping sweat off his brow with a shit eating grin. So happy being at work. I been workin on the railroad.....

Guest NEW2FR8s

yo, thanks for the compliment on my attitude.

Hey, you guys are probaly gonna come at me with some shit talking and callin me stupid after i say this but i gotta get it out its killin me. how do you get bumped up to juinor member, member or elite or any other heading than rookie? i just noticed them not to long ago and then i noticed some were crew and i figured that was the site creaters and the 12oz crew and then i started to notice all the rookies and juinors and shit, and i couldnt figure out how youd get promoted to a higher classifaction. can you guys clear it up for me.

P.S. and QUIJA i love your interview in dead in the dirt 3. you got some dope point of views on shit, plus your style is just like no other. its a style thats so original its crazy and you make it work. and all your shit comes out fresh and crisp. i guess what im trying to say is that i love your style seeing how your the only one to make it look so good, and for that matter your the only one with that style. in this so small world you managed to stay original, thats something thats not seen much in the graff scene around here, so many bitters out these days. but hey they'll learn one day. (i hope)

later...............

Guest NEW2FR8s

yo, thanks for all the help, but prism what was that shit you were saying at the end of your first reply on this thread about develop hand styles and all that stuff. im not just starting to write im just starting to get into fr8s. but anyways by the way you were talking its the same layup that we both have in mind. and i know who blew up that spot awhile back its just now getting chill from the last time some writers blew it up. wont mention no names either but im sure you know who they are, if youve ever been down here then you know the writers that always blow shit up. not to mention all the toys the dont even write graffiti that just lived by it, they heat it up just as much. i painted there last weekend and it was pretty chill for real thow. it was at night, and i did a couple fill ins during the day on a week day and it was chill. and yeah ive seen the buffs and shit on the bridge and you cant target anyone on the bridge for blowing it up, i mean some of them did but there were some others that blew it up and didnt touch the bridge and vise versa. and for kabar and cracked the cars are ttex and ttx they dont have any numbers accept one set of numbers on the front part of the chassis(under cairage) and it not a make or model number its like a cargo number or some shit so they wouldnt help you out in any way as to picture the trains in which im talking about. yo prism, why dont you email me and let me know about some other layups in my area becuase theres tracks everywere and i cant find any other layups for shit. but if not i understand. well shit i gotsta go. later....

Guest NEW2FR8s

hey also before i talk about anything like that again how i would i go about changing my qoute at the bottom. i mean its not really to big of a deal its just its one more clue to me and thats not something i want, i should have thought about that shit before i put it on there.

Originally posted by prismacolor

Oh shit that's the helicoptor that can easily see you during the day and pin point your location to a cop in a car. I know that they could more then likely see you with their infe-red too during the night but atleast you have a fighting chance to hide.

they have helicopters, and infa-red shit in kentucky..... damn i was shocked to see that you all had the internet!:D :D

Archived